I found a bug in Version 2.X

Topics: User Forum
Apr 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM
Edited Jul 23, 2008 at 1:49 PM
If you think you have found a bug - please post it here! Do not add it directly to the "Issue Tracker" list.
Jul 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM
Hi,
I have a smartphone with slinding keyboard and it seems that the keypad that is in the keyboard is conflicting when I try to type.

http://www.jean-francoismathieu.com/images/htcs720header.jpg
See image.

Thanks

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:31 PM

jfmathieu wrote:
Hi,
I have a smartphone with slinding keyboard and it seems that the keypad that is in the keyboard is conflicting when I try to type.

http://www.jean-francoismathieu.com/images/htcs720header.jpg
See image.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting that!
When you say it is conflicting, do you mean that when you type a key that is in the red area, instead of the key ("B" for example) you get some other symbol or you don't get any key, or the key is just not working at all. Also, does it happen when you type in any text box or some?

Jul 28, 2007 at 10:03 AM
Hm, are we supposed to post bugs in the same thread? Ok, here goes:

When a download fails, I lose the entire download queue, and can only resume the last file, and have to start selecting all the other downloads from the start again (which takes a loong time on a SmartPhone - see my feature requests soon).
Jul 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM
Edited Jul 28, 2007 at 11:01 AM
Hi again. I just upgraded to 2.4.0 RC, and it seems to handle the retrying of downloads much better. However, it still seems to lose the entire download queue on fail or stop.

One thing I didn't like was that I lost my added custom category in the upgrade. But that's no biggie.

And BTW: Thanks for a great application. I have looked at some other podcatchers for SmartPhone, but none of them are as good as this one, and that's why I've chosen to use it and (hopefully) give you some good feedback and feature requests for it.
Jul 29, 2007 at 2:39 AM

hennish wrote:
Hi again. I just upgraded to 2.4.0 RC, and it seems to handle the retrying of downloads much better. However, it still seems to lose the entire download queue on fail or stop.

One thing I didn't like was that I lost my added custom category in the upgrade. But that's no biggie.

And BTW: Thanks for a great application. I have looked at some other podcatchers for SmartPhone, but none of them are as good as this one, and that's why I've chosen to use it and (hopefully) give you some good feedback and feature requests for it.

Thank you very much for the kind words.
Yes, losing the download queue is an issue. I've been trying to compromise around it. The core of problems that once you start preserve it, it can quickly get quite big and unmanageable especially if you start downloading podcasts from various feeds, so to keep things simple, I decided to clear it at the end of the download session. This was definitely a big problem with versions before 2.4. Starting at 2.4 you can tell it to automatically download the last XX podcasts of a feed. Every time you update a feed, it will automatically generate a list of the last podcasts and start downloading it. So let' say you selected to download the last 10. If it fails (or you stop it) after the first 3, next time you do update it will try to get the remaining 7 that it was unable to get in the previous run. I think that this is a good compromise, but we have to see if this is enough once it gets used more.
I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that sounds like a fair compromise.

Now I have a new weird problem: All of a sudden, my 2.4.0 RC couldn't reach the internet, neither for updating feeds nor downloading podcasts. I tried restarting the phone, switching from WLAN to USB cable, upgrading to 2.4.0 "Gold", but I still can't reach the internet.

Internet Explorer on the phone has been working all this time, so it's not a general connection issue. The log says:

---
2007-07-29 11:11:28: >> Error downloading content from: http://odeo.com/show/13325173/4/download/OSVirtualizationVsHypervisorVirtualization.mp3. Reason: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found, Http Status: Timeout
2007-07-29 12:20:02: >> Error downloading content from: http://odeo.com/channel/40039/rss. Reason: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found, Http Status: Timeout
---

The thing is that these "Http Status: Timeout" messages seem to have started to appear at the same time as Windows Update ran on my Vista system installing the following updates:

---
Microsoft Corporation driver update for SmartPhone USB Sync

This driver was provided by Microsoft Corporation for support of SmartPhone USB Sync

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=1886

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
---

---
Microsoft Corporation - Networking - Windows Mobile-based Device

Microsoft Corporation Networking sofware update released in May, 2007

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20060042

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
---

Any ideas on how to fix this? How does BeyondPod connect to the internet from the SmartPhone? The same way as IE does, or some other way?

Well, I guess I'll just have to listen to the podcasts I've already got downloaded for now. :)
Jul 29, 2007 at 12:12 PM
Fixed it!

I downloaded "Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 for Windows Vista" (https://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6256099), and after a little driver updating and reconnecting, it started working for both USB and WLAN. Weird!
Jul 29, 2007 at 5:12 PM
Dammit, it seems to be coming back sporadically. I really don't have a clue why this happens. :(
Jul 30, 2007 at 4:36 PM

hennish wrote:
Dammit, it seems to be coming back sporadically. I really don't have a clue why this happens. :(

Sorry to hear about your trouble connecting. I actually get the same intermittent USB network connectivity from time to time. I started to happen more I think after I updated to Mobile Device Center 6.1. Sometimes it goes away by itself sometimes I have to restart both the Machine and the device. As far as BeyondPod is concerned, it does not really touch any connection settings - it uses whatever the default settings for internet explorer are on the device. Theoretically if IE works BeyondPod should work too. (Sometimes Pocket IE uses a cached version of a page if I can't connect so it gives the appearance of working while it really does not. I got bitten by that once.) Do you see any pattern on when your connection works?
Jul 30, 2007 at 10:42 PM
Today it has been working great, somehow. Weird. I will keep trying to figure out some pattern for when it's failing and when not.

I think I've found another bug: When I do "Update -> Current Category", it works great and new podcasts are downloaded. But... if I then enter the content page of one of the updated feeds, it still says "This feed is x days old" until I update it "manually".

Also, the dates in the Feeds view don't seem to be correctly updated.

Another bug I think is that when there is trouble downloading a podcast, the "Podcast" view seems to be getting a lot of duplicates of that podcast. One per retry maybe?
Aug 1, 2007 at 1:25 AM

hennish wrote:
Today it has been working great, somehow. Weird. I will keep trying to figure out some pattern for when it's failing and when not.

I think I've found another bug: When I do "Update -> Current Category", it works great and new podcasts are downloaded. But... if I then enter the content page of one of the updated feeds, it still says "This feed is x days old" until I update it "manually".

Also, the dates in the Feeds view don't seem to be correctly updated.

Another bug I think is that when there is trouble downloading a podcast, the "Podcast" view seems to be getting a lot of duplicates of that podcast. One per retry maybe?

OK, good observation! There is an algorithm that BeyondPod uses to determine if a new RSS content is available so it does not download the same feed over and over again. Every time a feed is downloaded, we save the date time it was updated - generally this is not the time when you tried to retrieve it, but the date/time the author of the feed updated it. (That could have been.... last month). This information is returned by the Web server serving the feed (...and sometimes is not correct.) This is why you may update the feed now, but it would say it was updated in the past. Also if BeyondPod determines that the feed is not changed on the server, it will not download a new copy and you will see that the feed was XX days old. If you run a category update, to speed up the updates, BeyondPod will use the checking algorithm above. If you do update from the content view, BeyondPod will get the latest for that feed regardless of when the feed was last updated. This whole process is quite tricky and a balance between having fast updates and getting the latest. Most of the time that works well ,but with some feeds the process gets "confused" and may not get the latest even if latest is available. If you tell me which feeds you have trouble with, I can verify if this is expected or a bug.

On the duplicate podcasts - If download fails you should have one podcast per item, never more than one. (If you try downloading 5 podcasts and 3 fail - you should have 5 new items 2- downloaded and 3 "failed"). If you see more than one this is most probably a bug. I have never seen that happen, but who knows. The reason why you get one is that if it downloads a little bit, you can resume that failed download by selecting the podcast and doing menu-> resume.
Aug 5, 2007 at 9:28 AM
Hi again. The network problems seem to have disappeared. It feels like I have a "learning" SmartPhone. :)

My new problem is that some podcast downloads seem to delete other already downloaded podcasts. It mostly seems to be happening in this feed: http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/en/BMO-PODCAST/TechNetScriptingMP3.xml

I can't seem to keep more than the last downloaded podcast in this feed. The log doesn't seem to say anything about it. The files just disappear as soon as the next file starts downloading, and in the feed view it just says "Download again" instead of "Play".

I upgraded to 2.4.1, but it didn't help.

All the log says is:
"2007-08-05 09:51:01: Unable to read track! An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found"

- but that's just when I try to play the disappeared podcasts.
Aug 5, 2007 at 3:32 PM

hennish wrote:
Hi again. The network problems seem to have disappeared. It feels like I have a "learning" SmartPhone. :)

My new problem is that some podcast downloads seem to delete other already downloaded podcasts. It mostly seems to be happening in this feed: http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/en/BMO-PODCAST/TechNetScriptingMP3.xml

I can't seem to keep more than the last downloaded podcast in this feed. The log doesn't seem to say anything about it. The files just disappear as soon as the next file starts downloading, and in the feed view it just says "Download again" instead of "Play".

I upgraded to 2.4.1, but it didn't help.

All the log says is:
"2007-08-05 09:51:01: Unable to read track! An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found"

- but that's just when I try to play the disappeared podcasts.

Can you check the URL of that feed. The one in your post does not point to an RSS. Once I get the feed I will investigate - seems like this is most probably a bug. I am curious to see why is this happening
Aug 8, 2007 at 9:17 PM
Edited Aug 8, 2007 at 9:41 PM
Aha. The forum makes words surrounded by underscores in italics. Here it is again. Remove the space in the path: http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/en/BMO-PODCAST/TechNet_ Scripting_MP3.xml

I'm also having the same problems with: http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/en/BMO-PODCAST/TechNet_ Security_MP3.xml
Aug 9, 2007 at 10:08 PM

hennish wrote:
Aha. The forum makes words surrounded by underscores in italics. Here it is again. Remove the space in the path: http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/en/BMO-PODCAST/TechNet_ Scripting_MP3.xml

I'm also having the same problems with: http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/en/BMO-PODCAST/TechNet_ Security_MP3.xml

I think I understand the problem with those feeds. It turns out that the podcasts in both feeds are relatively old and the "space saver" feature kicks in and deletes the old podcasts just before downloading the new one. In 2.4.1 you can set it to keep podcasts that are up to 99 days old (default is to 60 I think) How old is a podcast is determined by the date it was published, not when it was downloaded so if you try to download podcasts that are published long time ago - you will experience this behavior.
This problem pointed that 99 days is really not enough, so I posted 2.4.2 that has a limit of 9999 days with 999 days default. With both builds, if you go to Menu -> Manage Feeds -> Edit Feed, Click on "More Settings >>" and scroll to the bottom, you can set the how old can be a podcast before deleting it. Also I think if you Disable podcast deletions (on the same screen) it will not delete podcasts no matter how old are they.

Can you try it and see if that fixes this problem? Just make sure you set something big like 999 days in the "Delete podcasts older than" setting for both feeds. Starting with 2.4.2 all new feeds you create should have 999 days as default.
Aug 12, 2007 at 1:28 AM
Yep. I disabled the space saver feature, and that solved the problem. Thanks!!
Aug 15, 2007 at 10:23 PM
Hello,
I really like the app so far! Best rss/ podcast app I have used yet. I did stumble across a potential bug. When viewing rss feed with pictures like Yahoo! News Top stories- http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories for example, the pictures do not display. On the documentation page it shows a screen shot of a feed with an image embedded(http://www.codeplex.com/beyondpod/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Documentation&referringTitle=Home). Did I mis-configure something or is this a bug?
Aug 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM

skydive199 wrote:
Hello,
I really like the app so far! Best rss/ podcast app I have used yet. I did stumble across a potential bug. When viewing rss feed with pictures like Yahoo! News Top stories- http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories for example, the pictures do not display. On the documentation page it shows a screen shot of a feed with an image embedded(http://www.codeplex.com/beyondpod/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Documentation&referringTitle=Home). Did I mis-configure something or is this a bug?

I am very glad you like the application. I did check the Yahoo feed and the problem you are having is actually a "feature" in Internet Explorer Mobile - I does not download images if the image is hidden (which is what happens when the feed item is collapsed and you have to click on "More..." to see it). While not downloading hidden images is good, unfortunately IE does not download the image when it becomes visible.

To see the images all you have to do is go to Menu->Settings, scroll to "Auto collapse Long Items" and pick a bigger number or select "Never".
For some reason it seems this Yahoo feed has quite a bit of text that is not visible in the browser (like formatting information) so on my device I had to set the number to 1000 before it stopped collapsing.
We are still trying to tweak the collapsing logic to work around that IE "feature".

Thank you very much for reporting that - feedback like this is what drives us to add or enhance features.
Aug 25, 2007 at 9:05 PM
This looks like the app I've been hoping to find for podcasts, and I just started to use it when I had a crash. I didn't copy the info because I thought I just needed a reboot at worst, but now the app won't launch at all. Using WM5 on HTC (Cingular 8525) - when I launch BeyondPod I get the little wait animation icon, but after a few seconds it goes away and doesn't launch. It doesn't show as a running program either.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled BeyondPod including redownloading, and I've also uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled CF2.0, but no improvment.

I'm dying to get this going, I think it's the program I've been waiting for!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry
Aug 25, 2007 at 10:13 PM

ginks wrote:
This looks like the app I've been hoping to find for podcasts, and I just started to use it when I had a crash. I didn't copy the info because I thought I just needed a reboot at worst, but now the app won't launch at all. Using WM5 on HTC (Cingular 8525) - when I launch BeyondPod I get the little wait animation icon, but after a few seconds it goes away and doesn't launch. It doesn't show as a running program either.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled BeyondPod including redownloading, and I've also uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled CF2.0, but no improvment.

I'm dying to get this going, I think it's the program I've been waiting for!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerry

Gerry,
Sorry to hear you had this problem. BeyondPod uses a couple of configuration files that remain after uninstall (and are reused for subsequent installs) so if any of them is damaged install/uninstall will not fix the issue as the damaged files will be used again. To do a clean install make sure you delete the BeyondPod directory after the uninstall.

Before you delete all files, I will appreciate if you can send me BeyondPodLog.txt file (located in BeyondPod install folder). This is a normal text log file that hopefully has some extra details about the error that was causing the crash so I can debug and correct the issue in the next build. You can send the file to: BeyondPod at gmail.com, or alternatively post the last 20..30 lines of it as a reply to this post. I suspect that a clean install will fix your issue, but if it does not, let me know and I will try to help you further.
Aug 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM
Thanks for the advice - I thought sure I'd checked for a residual folder, but sure enough, it's there now that I check. I'll try deleting and reloading now. The last few log lines were:

8/22/07 9:39:58 PM: >> Error downloading content from: http://podcasts.nytimes.com/podcasts/2007/08/22/23techtalk.mp3. Reason: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found, Http Status: ConnectFailure
8/22/07 9:40:03 PM: Fatal Exception: ObjectDisposedException
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeHelper()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.RefreshFeedsView()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.OnEnclosureDownloadFailed()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.OnDownloadFailed()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.RSS.EnclosureDownloader.OnDownloadError()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.RSS.DownloadAgent.OnDownloadError()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.RSS.DownloadAgent.Download()

8/23/07 9:54:41 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/23/07 9:55:53 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/23/07 9:56:26 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/23/07 10:00:02 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/23/07 10:06:44 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/23/07 10:09:59 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/23/07 10:12:01 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/25/07 9:45:24 AM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/25/07 3:52:04 PM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/25/07 3:52:57 PM: Error loading feeds! IOException
8/25/07 3:54:53 PM: Error loading feeds! IOException
Oct 17, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Today I rebooted my HTC s710, (WM6) and all my feeds are gone. :(
Also beyondPod does not always remember what portion of a mp3 was played.

I hope you guys can improve the stability.

Thanks,
Evert
Oct 23, 2007 at 1:58 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2007 at 2:04 PM

EvertMulder wrote:
Today I rebooted my HTC s710, (WM6) and all my feeds are gone. :(
Also beyondPod does not always remember what portion of a mp3 was played.

I hope you guys can improve the stability.

Thanks,
Evert

I am sorry the hear you had this problem. That has not happened before, but I guess there is a first time for everything. I spent some time trying to research why that could happen. The only solution I came up with, was that your feed repository somehow got corrupted. BeyondPod has always created a backup copy of the repository every time it saved, but that copy was deleted after the repository was saved correctly. In the latest release (2.5.4) I updated the repository handling code to leave the backup copy and revert back to it if the loading of the primary repository file fails for some reason. Hopefully that should eliminate this problem in the future.

As far as the remembering of the position, BeyondPod is at the mercy of the Windows Media Player that it hosts. WMP sometimes "forgets" to notify BeyondPod about the playback progress (you can see that the time counter is not moving while the media is playing). Unfortunately there is not much we can do about it.
Oct 25, 2007 at 9:20 PM
Skynychev, thanks for your reply.

Since I upgraded to 2.5.4 (upgraded from 2.5.3) I did not have problems with the feeds. I still use beyondPod a lot and I am really glad it exists.
Thanks a bunch for the product.

Evert
Nov 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM
I am using BeyondPod 2.5.5 on a Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone. It is a wonderful program.. I found a bug, however. When I deleted a feed, the feed disappeared from BeyondPod, but the folder and files remained. I had to delete them by hand when I noticed the old feed taking up space.
Nov 22, 2007 at 1:21 PM

dem107 wrote:
I am using BeyondPod 2.5.5 on a Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone. It is a wonderful program.. I found a bug, however. When I deleted a feed, the feed disappeared from BeyondPod, but the folder and files remained. I had to delete them by hand when I noticed the old feed taking up space.

Thanks for reporting that. I will add an option to also delete the downloaded files when the feed is deleted.
Dec 10, 2007 at 2:25 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2007 at 4:12 PM
I was searching for a better feedreader for my new HTC Kaiser PPC (WWE release) and found BeyondPod.
I realy like this application. But allas I think I found a bug.
The problem is with next (Dutch) rss feed: http://www.nu.nl/deeplink_rss2/index.jsp?r=Algemeen
This feed updates fine when I don't use the GZIP compression. But when I use the SharpZipLib.dll for GZIP compression this feed refuses to update and returns the error: " Header checksum illegal".
So for now I cannot use the GZIP compression wich I realy regrets.
Is this a already known issue with BeyondPod or is this a compression problem at serverside?

Oh yes, and here's a tip for users using SPB+ 4 with smartscrolling enabled: You can enable smartscroll(=much better as HTC Touchflo) too for BeyondPod by adding next tweaks to the register:

add key:
HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Spb Software House\Pocket Plus\11\Applications\BeyondPod.exe
add in this key:
dword: Enabled value: 1
string: UserName value: BeyondPod
multi string: WindowClasses
value:
PIEHTML
Webview

(see also:http://www.spbclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10531&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=6c26e6f37d7da49cc3f0df0d9bff49e7)

Another tweak in the RSSFeeditem.htm for getting al webview content via Skweezer.net so you get nice HTML for your mobile phone/pda

change:
href="#FEEDITEM_LINK#"
with
href="http://www.skweezer.net/skweeze.aspx?i=1&q=#FEEDITEM_LINK#"
Dec 11, 2007 at 12:25 PM
Klipper,

I think the issue with SharpLib is most probably related to both sides: the library and the server. It seems to work most of the time. SharpLib is just a 3rd party tool that I found that works good (but not perfect). Compact Framework 3.5 should have support for Compressed streams, but I need to tweak BeyondPod a bit to get it to use it. (I am hoping to get this in the next week or so). Once I have BeyondPod working with 3.5 (that will also fix a the back button in the Content view for the smartphones) I will post a new build.

Thank you for the tips. I think the squeezer tip is excellent idea and I should add a setting to turn it on from within the application. I will also give a try to the SPB+ tip. I have been trying to get BeyondPod to do a finger scrolling for a while now but that proves to be a bit tricky thing.

Thanks for sharing that. If you have any other suggestions or problems I would be very happy to hear them.

Stefan.

klipper wrote:
I was searching for a better feedreader for my new HTC Kaiser PPC (WWE release) and found BeyondPod.
I realy like this application. But allas I think I found a bug.
The problem is with next (Dutch) rss feed: http://www.nu.nl/deeplink_rss2/index.jsp?r=Algemeen
This feed updates fine when I don't use the GZIP compression. But when I use the SharpZipLib.dll for GZIP compression this feed refuses to update and returns the error: " Header checksum illegal".
So for now I cannot use the GZIP compression wich I realy regrets.
Is this a already known issue with BeyondPod or is this a compression problem at serverside?

Oh yes, and here's a tip for users using SPB+ 4 with smartscrolling enabled: You can enable smartscroll(=much better as HTC Touchflo) too for BeyondPod by adding next tweaks to the register:

add key:
HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Spb Software House\Pocket Plus\11\Applications\BeyondPod.exe
add in this key:
dword: Enabled value: 1
string: UserName value: BeyondPod
multi string: WindowClasses
value:
PIEHTML
Webview

(see also:http://www.spbclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10531&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=6c26e6f37d7da49cc3f0df0d9bff49e7)

Another tweak in the RSSFeeditem.htm for getting al webview content via Skweezer.net so you get nice HTML for your mobile phone/pda

change:
href="#FEEDITEM_LINK#"
with
href="http://www.skweezer.net/skweeze.aspx?i=1&q=#FEEDITEM_LINK#"

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:52 PM
I am using Beyondpod on a Sprint Palm Treo 700wx. When I reassign buttons, the assignments only hold for that session. Once BP quits being the active program, the button assignments return to their defaults.
Dec 14, 2007 at 1:07 PM

gotwebs wrote:
I am using Beyondpod on a Sprint Palm Treo 700wx. When I reassign buttons, the assignments only hold for that session. Once BP quits being the active program, the button assignments return to their defaults.

I wonder if the settings somehow never get written to the configuration file (Settings.xml). Can you do a small experiment where you save the Settings.xml, start BeyondPod, change the shortcut keys to something, exit and see if the content of Settings.XML changed (you need to look at the Shortcut Keys section). One reason is that somehow the file may have become read only.
Jan 4, 2008 at 4:16 AM
I suddenly became unable to use the internal BeyondPod player. Despite the selection in the Settings, Windows Media Player is always launched.
I've verified that the PlayerIntegration value is being set to zero in the settings.xml file.
I'm using 2.6.1.16.

This worked fine with 2.6.1.11 and for some time after updating to 2.6.1.16. I can't say for sure what might have triggered this. I was having trouble getting a bluetooth headset paired with my phone and after that was working, this issue showed up. I don't know how they could be related.
Jan 4, 2008 at 1:35 PM

trpropst wrote:
I suddenly became unable to use the internal BeyondPod player. Despite the selection in the Settings, Windows Media Player is always launched.
I've verified that the PlayerIntegration value is being set to zero in the settings.xml file.
I'm using 2.6.1.16.

This worked fine with 2.6.1.11 and for some time after updating to 2.6.1.16. I can't say for sure what might have triggered this. I was having trouble getting a bluetooth headset paired with my phone and after that was working, this issue showed up. I don't know how they could be related.

Can you verify that the extension of the file you are trying to play is "mp3". BeyondPod has a set of "known" extensions that it assumes the built in player ( which is actually Windows Media Player) will play. If the extension of the file you are trying to play is not in the "know" list BeyondPod will try to "start" the file which will in turn launch the default player for this file type. One thing that changed in 2.6.1.16 and may be related to that issue is that before only files with the "known" extensions were shown by default. Starting with 2.6.1.16 BeyondPod shows all files regardless of the extension.
Jan 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM

skyntchev wrote:

Can you verify that the extension of the file you are trying to play is "mp3". BeyondPod has a set of "known" extensions that it assumes the built in player ( which is actually Windows Media Player) will play. If the extension of the file you are trying to play is not in the "know" list BeyondPod will try to "start" the file which will in turn launch the default player for this file type. One thing that changed in 2.6.1.16 and may be related to that issue is that before only files with the "known" extensions were shown by default. Starting with 2.6.1.16 BeyondPod shows all files regardless of the extension.

That was it. I just happened to be playing an m4a file.
Now that I know this, it seems like a great feature. I'm continually impressed. Thanks!
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:33 AM
http://feeds.feedburner.com/SoulsearchingPodcast

That Podcast display truncated filenames in the "Podcast" view. During download a podcast shows as: "soulsearching 524" but as soon as the download finishes it only reads "soulsearching_52", obivously the first 16 characters of the filename. Maybe something is wrong with the format of the podcast, because all other podcasts show the title, not the filename.
Feb 8, 2008 at 9:11 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2008 at 11:23 PM
I continue to struggle with BeyondPod on my Treo 700WX. The previous problem I posted resolved with 2.6.1. However, I was experiencing frequent crashes. Sometimes an error was displayed, sometimes BP just "disappeared". In an attempt to resolve the problem, and eliminate conflicts with other software, I hard reset my device, and installed 2.6.2 beta. BP now crashes more frequently than before. In addition, when I attempt to start the application, sometimes it takes 2 or three clicks on the shortcut to get it to launch. Crashes frequently happen when downloading, but sometimes when litsening to a Podcast.

I think the features of BeyondPod are great, but it is so unstable that I can't really use it. Help!!
Feb 10, 2008 at 3:10 AM

gotwebs wrote:
I continue to struggle with BeyondPod on my Treo 700WX. The previous problem I posted resolved with 2.6.1. However, I was experiencing frequent crashes. Sometimes an error was displayed, sometimes BP just "disappeared". In an attempt to resolve the problem, and eliminate conflicts with other software, I hard reset my device, and installed 2.6.2 beta. BP now crashes more frequently than before. In addition, when I attempt to start the application, sometimes it takes 2 or three clicks on the shortcut to get it to launch. Crashes frequently happen when downloading, but sometimes when litsening to a Podcast.

I think the features of BeyondPod are great, but it is so unstable that I can't really use it. Help!!

This is very unfortunate. My guess is that it is probably something in the Treo itself, because I have not seen any other instability reports on other mobile devices. I use BeyondPod every day and I have not seen it crash in a very long time. From your report it is difficult to determine what could be the cause of the crashes, but given it is random, it is possible that it is related to insufficient memory. One thing that would help is if you can send the BeyondPod log file (BeyondPodLog.txt in the BeyondPod installation directory) to support@beyondpod.mobi . That file should have some extra data about the crashes that can help us isolate the problem.
Feb 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM

negg wrote:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/SoulsearchingPodcast

That Podcast display truncated filenames in the "Podcast" view. During download a podcast shows as: "soulsearching 524" but as soon as the download finishes it only reads "soulsearching_52", obivously the first 16 characters of the filename. Maybe something is wrong with the format of the podcast, because all other podcasts show the title, not the filename.

Negg,

Thanks for the bug report. I traced the problem down to the code that extracts the ID3 name tag of the downloaded podcast. For some reason on this particular podcast it skips the last character. I will try to fix it in the next build.
Feb 19, 2008 at 9:41 PM
I am using BeyondPod 2.6.1.18 on Windows CE 5.1.195 (SP). I use the internal player and when it reaches the end of a podcast, it starts over at the beginning of the same podcast, even though I have "Do Nothing" selected under "When finish playing" in the settings screen.

That brings up a another very tiny bug. It should be "When Finished Paying" instead of "When finish playing" on the settings screen.
Feb 20, 2008 at 2:38 PM

dem107 wrote:
I am using BeyondPod 2.6.1.18 on Windows CE 5.1.195 (SP). I use the internal player and when it reaches the end of a podcast, it starts over at the beginning of the same podcast, even though I have "Do Nothing" selected under "When finish playing" in the settings screen.

Interesting... I checked the 3 devices I have and they all seem to work correctly. They do have the latest development build, but I don't think anything has changed in the area of code related to what happens when the podcast finishes playing. (If you want to try the latest development build it is available at http://www.BeyondPod.mobi/BETA).
Sometimes the problem can be caused by the media player itself (this is what beyondpod uses internally) What version of Windows Media Player is installed on the device?

That brings up a another very tiny bug. It should be "When Finished Paying" instead of "When finish playing" on the settings screen.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will update it in the next build.
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:51 PM
Just to clarify, his correction needs correcting. His correction of "When Finished Paying" should read "When Finished Playing". Probably obvious, but if you're not a native English speaker it's worth mentioning.

Gerry
Feb 21, 2008 at 4:32 AM

dem107 wrote:

I will also confirm that I am experiencing this issue at times. I remember when I first experienced this issue, I received an error message in BeyondPod that it requires a new version of Windows Media Player. I didn't think much of it at the time because the podcast played after I OK'ed the message. A soft reset usually fixes the issue. I am running Windows Media Player 10.2 Build 14932 and BeyondPod 2.6.2 on a Windows Mobile 5 PPC. BTW, thanks for the excellent program!
Feb 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM

ginks wrote:
Just to clarify, his correction needs correcting. His correction of "When Finished Paying" should read "When Finished Playing". Probably obvious, but if you're not a native English speaker it's worth mentioning.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, I caught that ;) and already updated it for the next build!
Feb 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM

glparker4 wrote:

dem107 wrote:

I will also confirm that I am experiencing this issue at times. I remember when I first experienced this issue, I received an error message in BeyondPod that it requires a new version of Windows Media Player. I didn't think much of it at the time because the podcast played after I OK'ed the message. A soft reset usually fixes the issue. I am running Windows Media Player 10.2 Build 14932 and BeyondPod 2.6.2 on a Windows Mobile 5 PPC. BTW, thanks for the excellent program!

As I was playing around trying to replicate this issue, I found another problem that is most probably very similar to the one that you both experience. The situation occurs If you have the "Repeat" turned on in the Windows Media Player (the stand alone one), and "When Finished Playing" action set to "Do nothing" in BeyondPod. In this case when BeyondPod finishes playing the "Repeat" setting was causing the track to be replayed from the start, but because BeyondPod remembers the last position (which was the end of the track) it would just skip directly there, which caused media player to replay it again thus going into a never ending loop. I fixed that in the next development build. After I do some more testing I will probably post it over the weekend. (If you just uncheck the "Repeat" in Media player this should fix it for now).
Feb 28, 2008 at 8:31 PM
Problems playing podcast.
I recently downloaded and installed BeyondPod on my PocketPC HP ipaq hw6940 running window mobile 5.0 build 14989.2.6.0 I also updated/installed .net fd 2.0 per instruction when I started BeyondPod.

My problem is that after downloading podcast I can't listen to them. I tap on them to listen and it locks up my ipaq. So I went out to the explorer to check file size to ensure that it was a valid file. All file sizes were appropriate.

Thanks for your help.
Feb 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM

kkezir wrote:
Problems playing podcast.
I recently downloaded and installed BeyondPod on my PocketPC HP ipaq hw6940 running window mobile 5.0 build 14989.2.6.0 I also updated/installed .net fd 2.0 per instruction when I started BeyondPod.

My problem is that after downloading podcast I can't listen to them. I tap on them to listen and it locks up my ipaq. So I went out to the explorer to check file size to ensure that it was a valid file. All file sizes were appropriate.

Thanks for your help.

I have seen something similar happen on some WM5 devices. In those cases the cause was that the skin, Windows Media Player uses when it is embedded in an application like BeyondPod, had an issue that caused the whole device to freeze when the player opens.

There are 2 possible solutions:

1. Set the skin to one that comes with BeyondPod. Start BeyondPod and then go to: Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> Player Skin and pick one that matches the orientation of your device. (Changing that skin will not affect the skin that Windows Media Player uses when you run it as a standalone application.) Make sure you restart BeyondPod after changing the skin.
2. If changing the skin does not work, you can also configure BeyondPod to always use an external player (Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> Default Podcast Player). In this case BeyondPod will always launch the default external player that is registered for this file type (in most cases this is Windows Media Player).
Mar 3, 2008 at 9:46 PM
I am using Windows Media Player 10 Mobile version 10.2 build 14955. Turning off "Repeat" mode fxed the problem.

skyntchev wrote:

glparker4 wrote:

dem107 wrote:

As I was playing around trying to replicate this issue, I found another problem that is most probably very similar to the one that you both experience. The situation occurs If you have the "Repeat" turned on in the Windows Media Player (the stand alone one), and "When Finished Playing" action set to "Do nothing" in BeyondPod. In this case when BeyondPod finishes playing the "Repeat" setting was causing the track to be replayed from the start, but because BeyondPod remembers the last position (which was the end of the track) it would just skip directly there, which caused media player to replay it again thus going into a never ending loop. I fixed that in the next development build. After I do some more testing I will probably post it over the weekend. (If you just uncheck the "Repeat" in Media player this should fix it for now).

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:51 PM
I am using BeyondPod Ver 2.6.1.18 with CF version 3.5.7283.0 on Windows CE 5.1.195 (SP).
A download failed and in the log under "Reason to fail:" it says "An error message is available for this exception but cannot be displayed because these messages are optional and are not currently installed on this device. Please install ‘NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab' for Windows Mobile 5.0 and above or ‘NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab’ for other platforms. Restart the application to see the message." I copied the CAB file from C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v3.5\WindowsCE\Diagnostics\NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab to my Windows Smartphone and ran the install into main memory. I exited and re-started BeyondPod, but the log has the same message.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:53 PM
As skyntchev said, it seems that checking "repeat" in Windows Media Player causes this issue. I unchecked it and the problem went away.

skyntchev wrote:

dem107 wrote:

Interesting... I checked the 3 devices I have and they all seem to work correctly. They do have the latest development build, but I don't think anything has changed in the area of code related to what happens when the podcast finishes playing. (If you want to try the latest development build it is available at http://www.BeyondPod.mobi/BETA).
Sometimes the problem can be caused by the media player itself (this is what beyondpod uses internally) What version of Windows Media Player is installed on the device?

Thanks for pointing that out. I will update it in the next build.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM

dem107 wrote:
I am using BeyondPod Ver 2.6.1.18 with CF version 3.5.7283.0 on Windows CE 5.1.195 (SP).
A download failed and in the log under "Reason to fail:" it says "An error message is available for this exception but cannot be displayed because these messages are optional and are not currently installed on this device. Please install ‘NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab' for Windows Mobile 5.0 and above or ‘NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab’ for other platforms. Restart the application to see the message." I copied the CAB file from C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v3.5\WindowsCE\Diagnostics\NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab to my Windows Smartphone and ran the install into main memory. I exited and re-started BeyondPod, but the log has the same message.

The message you are seeing is a bit misleading. It is a Microsoft message that appears when .NET framework can't find the resource to display the real error message. BeyondPod just logs it at the moment the error occurred. In reality now that you installed the resource CAB file, next time this error occurs BeyondPod will be able to get the real description. The error that you see was recorded earlier and won't change. In my experience this message occurs usually when there was some network error during download/update.
Mar 5, 2008 at 4:07 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2008 at 5:24 PM
Beyondpod 2.6.1
Phone: T-Mobile MDA (US)
ROM: TNT 19199 V2
Bluetooth Headphones: Motorola S9

Cannot use the Bluetooth AVRCP functions with 2.6.1. Things like play/pause, skip forward, skip back to not work.
I have verified that the AVRCP functions do work when using WMP on this configuration with my S9 headphones.

Has anyone else had success using AVC with 2.6.1?
Mar 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM

mmeyer4663 wrote:
Beyondpod 2.6.1
Phone: T-Mobile MDA (US)
ROM: TNT 19199 V2
Bluetooth Headphones: Motorola S9

Cannot use the Bluetooth AVRCP functions with 2.6.1. Things like play/pause, skip forward, skip back to not work.
I have verified that the AVRCP functions do work when using WMP on this configuration with my S9 headphones.

Has anyone else had success using AVC with 2.6.1?

Unfortunately BeyondPod does not support AVRC profile because Microsoft decided to not include it the core Windows Media Player engine (this is what BeyondPod uses). Media Player's support for AVRC is done using a plug-in that Media Player application loads independently. For some reason that plug-in is not available to other applications that use media player's core engine.
At this point the only option is to configure BeyondPod to play the podcasts using the external Media Player (Menu->Tool->Settings-Default Podcast Player). We have tried for a while to get AVRC support in BeyondPod but so far there is no good solution.
Mar 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM
Hi all,
When I select a feed in the feed view, I get a popup window that says "The file 'BeyondPodFeed' cannot be opened. ...". BeyondPod then dies. Interestingly, the label of the popup window is BeyondPodFeed.html. So, is the code looking for BeyondPodFeed when it should be looking for BeyondPodFeed.html?

I'm using 2.6.2.20, the latest beta available.
Mar 6, 2008 at 12:55 PM

tautges wrote:
Hi all,
When I select a feed in the feed view, I get a popup window that says "The file 'BeyondPodFeed' cannot be opened. ...". BeyondPod then dies. Interestingly, the label of the popup window is BeyondPodFeed.html. So, is the code looking for BeyondPodFeed when it should be looking for BeyondPodFeed.html?

I'm using 2.6.2.20, the latest beta available.

I think the issue is that you have a different (other than Pocket IE) browser set as the default browser. BeyondPod uses IE to render the feed content and for some unknown reason if another browser is set as default, loading IE fails. There is no real reason why setting the default browser would break loading the IE, but it does. We are currently trying to find a workaround (hopefully for the next beta).
For now, If you set IE as the default browser it should work.
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:10 PM
Yes, after installing NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab subsequent errors are shown correctly. You might want to add instructions for installing NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab somewhere. I had a hard time finding it on the Microsoft site.

-David

skyntchev wrote:

dem107 wrote:

The message you are seeing is a bit misleading. It is a Microsoft message that appears when .NET framework can't find the resource to display the real error message. BeyondPod just logs it at the moment the error occurred. In reality now that you installed the resource CAB file, next time this error occurs BeyondPod will be able to get the real description. The error that you see was recorded earlier and won't change. In my experience this message occurs usually when there was some network error during download/update.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:46 PM
I'm having a lot of crashes with 2.6.1. I think it might be when trying to update my Lost podcast. I checked the URL and it does look like it changed (though the old link still works):

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/podcastRSS?feedPublishKey=3421

So I deleted the old feed and added this new one. Still getting crashes. Also installed NETCFv24.Messages.EN.wm.cab and rebooted, but this didn't fix the "error message can't be displayed" issue.

3/8/08 3:36:23 PM: Unable to download image for: http://a.abc.com/primetime/lost/images/podcast/300x300lost20051109.jpg! Reason:An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found
3/8/08 3:36:26 PM: Fatal Exception Handler: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found
at System.Uri.CreateThis()
at System.Uri..ctor()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloader.Start()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadEnclosureInternal()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadQueuedEnclosures()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadEnclosures()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.UpdateAndDownloadManager.ProcessFeeds()
at WorkItem.doWork()
at System.Threading.Timer.ring()

I love the newer version - the old one when crashing like this would blow out all my feeds and I had to add them back each time. Now at least I'm still where I left off!

Thanks,
Gerry
Mar 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM

ginks wrote:
I'm having a lot of crashes with 2.6.1. I think it might be when trying to update my Lost podcast. I checked the URL and it does look like it changed (though the old link still works):

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/podcastRSS?feedPublishKey=3421

So I deleted the old feed and added this new one. Still getting crashes. Also installed NETCFv24.Messages.EN.wm.cab and rebooted, but this didn't fix the "error message can't be displayed" issue.

3/8/08 3:36:23 PM: Unable to download image for: http://a.abc.com/primetime/lost/images/podcast/300x300lost20051109.jpg! Reason:An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found
3/8/08 3:36:26 PM: Fatal Exception Handler: An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found
at System.Uri.CreateThis()
at System.Uri..ctor()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloader.Start()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadEnclosureInternal()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadQueuedEnclosures()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadEnclosures()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.UpdateAndDownloadManager.ProcessFeeds()
at WorkItem.doWork()
at System.Threading.Timer.ring()

I love the newer version - the old one when crashing like this would blow out all my feeds and I had to add them back each time. Now at least I'm still where I left off!

Thanks,
Gerry

Thanks Gerry,

I did some research on this feed and it seems like the core issue is that for some reason, the URL to the enclosures (podcasts) is invalid (actually it is the string "null" - go figure). Of course BeyondPod should be able to handle that and not crash, so I will make sure I fix that for the next development build. For now you can just configure this feed to not automatically download the podcasts on update.
Thank you for reporting that.

Stefan
Mar 9, 2008 at 8:28 PM

dem107 wrote:
Yes, after installing NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab subsequent errors are shown correctly. You might want to add instructions for installing NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab somewhere. I had a hard time finding it on the Microsoft site.

-David

Thanks David,

I will add that to the Resources page.
Mar 11, 2008 at 6:27 PM
The "This American Life" feed moved from http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast.xml to http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast. I created a new feed with the new location, but did not delete the old one because it had some podcasts I wanted to keep.

The new feed used the same folder to store the podcasts as the old one. I believe BeyondPod should have picked a new folder (maybe "This American Life (2)") and not touched the old download folder. When I eventually deleted the old feed, it asked if I wanted to delete all of the podcasts for that feed. I answered no, but if I had said yes, I believe it would have deleted all the podcasts from the new feed.
Mar 12, 2008 at 7:07 PM

dem107 wrote:
The "This American Life" feed moved from http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast.xml to http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast. I created a new feed with the new location, but did not delete the old one because it had some podcasts I wanted to keep.

The new feed used the same folder to store the podcasts as the old one. I believe BeyondPod should have picked a new folder (maybe "This American Life (2)") and not touched the old download folder. When I eventually deleted the old feed, it asked if I wanted to delete all of the podcasts for that feed. I answered no, but if I had said yes, I believe it would have deleted all the podcasts from the new feed.

Good find! Yes, I should add code to check if the directory already exists when creating a new feed and adjust the directory name accordingly. Thanks for reporting that.
Mar 14, 2008 at 10:33 PM
Hi, not even sure this is a bug, or a BeyondPod bug, but it's a big deal for me.

I'm subscribed to a couple of tailor-made Facebook feeds. It's not as lame as it sounds, I swear - I'm an expatriate, and I like to read the feed of my (far-flung) friends' Status Updates, and be informed when I have messages etc.

Enough excuse-making. I recently imported my OPML from Google reader to BeyondPod. All my Facebook feeds (which work fine under Reader) are refusing to load; every other feed I'm subscribed to works fine.

Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

HT
Mar 15, 2008 at 2:28 AM
I have used BeyondPod 2.5.5 and then 2.6.1 on my Dell Axim X51V and they have worked great for the most part. One problem that has surfaced recently relates to the Compact Framework 3.5. If I run 2.5.5 or 2.6.1 with CF 2.0 everything works fine. If I run 2.6.1 with CF 3.5 everything works fine including updating the icons and the feed text but as soon as it tries to download a podcast it pops up with an error - "Invalid URI, the hostname could not be parsed." I've copied the link from the update log and pasted it into IE and it downloaded fine. Tried the same procedure with the 2.6.2 beta and got the same results. Has anyone had this problem and managed to fix it?
Mar 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM

helkyrie wrote:
Hi, not even sure this is a bug, or a BeyondPod bug, but it's a big deal for me.

I'm subscribed to a couple of tailor-made Facebook feeds. It's not as lame as it sounds, I swear - I'm an expatriate, and I like to read the feed of my (far-flung) friends' Status Updates, and be informed when I have messages etc.

Enough excuse-making. I recently imported my OPML from Google reader to BeyondPod. All my Facebook feeds (which work fine under Reader) are refusing to load; every other feed I'm subscribed to works fine.

Am I doing something wrong?

TIA

HT

Thank you for reporting that. This problem seems to be caused by invalid data that facebook servers put in the feed - in this case the last modified date. We had to make some changes to BeyondPod to handle that and posted an updated development build (2.6.2.13). You can download it from http://www.beyondpod.mobi/beta
You can also get the latest development build directly from your device by going to Menu->Help->Check for Updates and select You may also want to try the latest development build link. If you decide to try it, can you please let us know if that fix worked for you.
Mar 17, 2008 at 3:37 PM

bodilyc wrote:
I have used BeyondPod 2.5.5 and then 2.6.1 on my Dell Axim X51V and they have worked great for the most part. One problem that has surfaced recently relates to the Compact Framework 3.5. If I run 2.5.5 or 2.6.1 with CF 2.0 everything works fine. If I run 2.6.1 with CF 3.5 everything works fine including updating the icons and the feed text but as soon as it tries to download a podcast it pops up with an error - "Invalid URI, the hostname could not be parsed." I've copied the link from the update log and pasted it into IE and it downloaded fine. Tried the same procedure with the 2.6.2 beta and got the same results. Has anyone had this problem and managed to fix it?

I have seen that before on some podcasts if they have URL that is very complicated for example: http://media.techpodcasts.com/news/www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/libsyn.com/media/slashdotreview/SDR2008-01-31.mp3. Can you please post the URL that you are having problems with so we can investigate further.
Mar 17, 2008 at 5:04 PM

skyntchev wrote:

bodilyc wrote:

I have seen that before on some podcasts if they have URL that is very complicated for example: http://media.techpodcasts.com/news/www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/libsyn.com/media/slashdotreview/SDR2008-01-31.mp3. Can you please post the URL that you are having problems with so we can investigate further.

Here are a couple of the links copied from my update log:
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/1pcast.bole.031008/http://podcast-files.cnet.com/podcast/cnetbuzzoutloud031008.mp3
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rss/redir/http://www-tc.pbs.org/newshour/rss/media/2008/03/10/20080310_media28.mp3
Mar 17, 2008 at 5:48 PM

bodilyc wrote:

skyntchev wrote:

bodilyc wrote:

Here are a couple of the links copied from my update log:
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/1pcast.bole.031008/http://podcast-files.cnet.com/podcast/cnetbuzzoutloud031008.mp3
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rss/redir/http://www-tc.pbs.org/newshour/rss/media/2008/03/10/20080310_media28.mp3

Thanks, this is exactly the problem I have seen before - the second "http://" (after the ../rss/redir/) in the URL confuses the Compact Framework's URL class (I was hoping MS will fix that in 3.5 but they did not) . I have brought that as an issue with Microsoft but have no resolution yet. BeyondPod already has some infrastructure to handle similar cases I have found before, but looks like it needs to be extended so it can handle those feeds too. I will try to add that in the next development build.
Mar 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM

bodilyc wrote:

There is a new development build (2.6.2.14) that should have this issue resolved. You can download it from the BETA site http://www.beyondpod.mobi/BETA
Mar 18, 2008 at 10:54 PM

skyntchev wrote:

bodilyc wrote:

There is a new development build (2.6.2.14) that should have this issue resolved. You can download it from the BETA site http://www.beyondpod.mobi/BETA

Tried it out and it works great! Thanks!
Apr 28, 2008 at 8:03 PM
Just tried out 2.6.2.17 and I'm getting any error that crashes BeyondPod every time I try to hit the "Browse..." button to pick a folder, import feeds, etc. Below is the text from my log. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but I get the same thing. Older versions still work fine.

4/28/08 11:52:45 AM: Fatal Exception Handler: NullReferenceException
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Stream stream)
at OpenNETCF.Windows.Forms.InnerFolderBrowserDialog..ctor()
at OpenNETCF.Windows.Forms.FolderBrowserDialog..ctor()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Welcome.OnChangeClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Menu.ProcessMnuProc(Control ctlThis, WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterModalDialog(IntPtr hwnModal)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Master.OnLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify(Boolean fVis)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Program.Main(String[] args)
Apr 29, 2008 at 1:38 PM

bodilyc wrote:
Just tried out 2.6.2.17 and I'm getting any error that crashes BeyondPod every time I try to hit the "Browse..." button to pick a folder, import feeds, etc. Below is the text from my log. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but I get the same thing. Older versions still work fine.

4/28/08 11:52:45 AM: Fatal Exception Handler: NullReferenceException
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Stream stream)
at OpenNETCF.Windows.Forms.InnerFolderBrowserDialog..ctor()
at OpenNETCF.Windows.Forms.FolderBrowserDialog..ctor()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Welcome.OnChangeClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Menu.ProcessMnuProc(Control ctlThis, WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
at Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterModalDialog(IntPtr hwnModal)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Master.OnLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify(Boolean fVis)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Program.Main(String[] args)

Thanks for reporting that bodilyc.
I caught that over the weekend and pushed an update under the same 2.6.2.17 build number sometime Sunday afternoon.
We also just released a new public build under version 2.7 (this is the same 2.6.2.17 build with the "Browse..." fix). You can get it from the main BeyondPod update page. (Menu->Help->Check for Updates) in BeyondPod.
May 22, 2008 at 4:34 PM
I am using BeyondPod v 2.7.1.1 that I loaded yesterday, onto my Dell Axim x51v (running WM6.1).

From the player screen I have to click the Menu->Turn Screen Off  twice before it turns off (screen flickers like it tries to turn it off)
...after checking the exact syntax of the menus, it did turn off the first time. So, this looks to be intermittent.

Also, my Axim does not have buttons 1, 2,3,....
I tried to select a button for Stop / Play, using the Message button, but it does not allow the other 4 buttons on the front of my Axim.

Also, it would be nice if the screen on/off toggle was programmable to a button.

Otherwise, this is a great utility.
I like the ease of adding from an opml file,
how easy it is to jump from podcast listings to a particular feed to the player, and then back,
how easy it is to navigate,
how easy it is to set a feed as having been read,
and synching everything is easy to start.

Thanks.

May 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM

uzziah0 wrote:
I am using BeyondPod v 2.7.1.1 that I loaded yesterday, onto my Dell Axim x51v (running WM6.1).

From the player screen I have to click the Menu->Turn Screen Off  twice before it turns off (screen flickers like it tries to turn it off)
...after checking the exact syntax of the menus, it did turn off the first time. So, this looks to be intermittent.

Also, my Axim does not have buttons 1, 2,3,....
I tried to select a button for Stop / Play, using the Message button, but it does not allow the other 4 buttons on the front of my Axim.

Also, it would be nice if the screen on/off toggle was programmable to a button.

Otherwise, this is a great utility.
I like the ease of adding from an opml file,
how easy it is to jump from podcast listings to a particular feed to the player, and then back,
how easy it is to navigate,
how easy it is to set a feed as having been read,
and synching everything is easy to start.

Thanks.

The problem with the turning the screen of is that once it is off, any key press (or even key release) turns it on again. If you pick turn off from the menu, the "Screen off" command is executed on the pressing the key down, but releasing the key turns it on again. To solve that, I had to add a delay of a second or so before the screen is turned off, so you have time to release the button before teh screen goes off. That delay is usually enough on most devices, but may be not enough on the Axim. Can you try and see if pressing and quickly releasing the button does the trick, if it does, then I can bump the delay a bit to be more reliable. If it does not, then there is probably another problem.
May 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM
skyntchev,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not pressing a button to turn off the screen, I cannot find any way to press a button to turn off the screen (is that possible).

I am turning off the screen from the menu of the player Menu->Turn Screen Off

I cannot seem to alter the behavior, since I can't really hold the menu option longer or shorter.
May 30, 2008 at 7:23 AM
When I click the "read" link on a news story (such as from NPR) in the content of a feed, it says:  "Page cannot be found.  Check the name and try again."  It appears that this error is being generated by IE when it tries to follow the link...
May 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Gep wrote:
When I click the "read" link on a news story (such as from NPR) in the content of a feed, it says:  "Page cannot be found.  Check the name and try again."  It appears that this error is being generated by IE when it tries to follow the link...

I have seen that happen on very old WM5 devices. On those devices the version of IE does not support some of the Javascript functionality that BeyondPod requires. That was fixed in AKU2 update of the WM5 and all WM6 devices.
May 30, 2008 at 11:41 AM

uzziah0 wrote:
skyntchev,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not pressing a button to turn off the screen, I cannot find any way to press a button to turn off the screen (is that possible).

I am turning off the screen from the menu of the player Menu->Turn Screen Off

I cannot seem to alter the behavior, since I can't really hold the menu option longer or shorter.

Sorry, when I said the "button" I meant the the center navigation button of the d-pad you use to select from the menu. In the latest development build I bumped the delay a bit hoping that this may solve your problem. The latest development build is available at http://www.beyondpod.mobi/BETA. In the next couple of builds I am planning to add a some functionality that will automatically turn the screen off so you don't have to do that manually.
Jun 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM
Small bug, but...

In General Settings, when I check the Automatic Updates check-box, the 'Update Schedule' link does not activate. I have to click 'Done' then go back into General Settings to set the schedule. Thanks.
Jun 3, 2008 at 2:33 PM

ColinBowen wrote:
Small bug, but...

In General Settings, when I check the Automatic Updates check-box, the 'Update Schedule' link does not activate. I have to click 'Done' then go back into General Settings to set the schedule. Thanks.

Thanks,

We just released an new development build (2.7.1.5) that has this issue resolved. You can get the latest development build from http://www.beyondpod.mobi/beta/.
Jun 3, 2008 at 10:55 PM
Wow, I only downloaded it for the first time two days ago.  I'll DL 2.7.1.5 now.

Thanks very much.
Jun 6, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Not sure whether this is a bug with this software, some other software I have, or my MicroSD card, but thought I'd better report it.  I woke this morning to find that BeyondPod wouldn't run.  I have it installed on my MicroSD card (more on that later), but there are some corrupted folders on the card now.  The corrupted folders are in the Program Files/BeyondPod folder.  I think I found the BeyondPod app in there but it doesn't run when I tap it.  There are no other corrupted files or folders on the MicroSD card.

Before bed, I started eight or so downloads (large files, .mov etc).  I had schedules set for 1am, 3am, and 5am updates (all feeds).  I also have Sprite Backup set to run at 4am; last night it ran at 4:06.

I'm using the deleopment build v2.7.1.5 on a T-Mobile MDA VarioIII (aka AT&T Tilt, Kaiser) running Win Mobile Pro 6.

Okay, couple of questions to help me get up and running again:

1. Would the app run better/faster if it was installed in internal memory, rather than installed on the MicroSD card?

2. I don't really want to set it all up again (feeds, maximum podcasts to download, etc).  If I install again but into internal memory, are there any files/folders that I could copy from the card with my settings please?

Please bear in mind, I've only had a Win Mobile device for about 6 weeks and I'm still learning.  Having said that, I'm now off to see if I can help answer some other forum questions.

Thanks for the help.
Jun 6, 2008 at 1:23 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2008 at 1:26 PM

ColinBowen wrote:
Not sure whether this is a bug with this software, some other software I have, or my MicroSD card, but thought I'd better report it.  I woke this morning to find that BeyondPod wouldn't run.  I have it installed on my MicroSD card (more on that later), but there are some corrupted folders on the card now.  The corrupted folders are in the Program Files/BeyondPod folder.  I think I found the BeyondPod app in there but it doesn't run when I tap it.  There are no other corrupted files or folders on the MicroSD card.

Before bed, I started eight or so downloads (large files, .mov etc).  I had schedules set for 1am, 3am, and 5am updates (all feeds).  I also have Sprite Backup set to run at 4am; last night it ran at 4:06.

I'm using the deleopment build v2.7.1.5 on a T-Mobile MDA VarioIII (aka AT&T Tilt, Kaiser) running Win Mobile Pro 6.

Okay, couple of questions to help me get up and running again:

1. Would the app run better/faster if it was installed in internal memory, rather than installed on the MicroSD card?

2. I don't really want to set it all up again (feeds, maximum podcasts to download, etc).  If I install again but into internal memory, are there any files/folders that I could copy from the card with my settings please?

Please bear in mind, I've only had a Win Mobile device for about 6 weeks and I'm still learning.  Having said that, I'm now off to see if I can help answer some other forum questions.

Thanks for the help.

All SD cards seem to have issues from time to time with "lost" sectors (They still use the FAT32 file system). I have an 8GB micro sd card and it has been very good, I had before a 2 GB card and it had similar problems from time to time, so it may also depend on the card itself.  This also seems to happen more often if you frequently deal with large files (50 MB or more). I have not seen BeyondPod directory get corrupted, but it may be because on my device BeyondPod is installed in the internal memory and only the feed caches and the podcasts are on the storage card. The internal memory seems to be much more stable and a bit faster (but not by much).

BeyondPod uses 4 files to store all its settings:
  • Settings.xml - various global (not per-feed dependent) settings, and the global list of categories
  • TrackState.xml - all feed subscriptions and related feed settings such as spacesavers etc. (BeyondPod creates a backup copy of this file - TrackState.xml.bak - every time it saves it in case it gets corrupted)
  • BeyondPodHistory.bin - the podcast download history for all feeds
  • BeyondPodItemHistory.bin - the read/unread status of the items from all feeds

BeyondScheduler has only 1 configuration file:
  • ScheduledTasks.xml - stores the information for all scheduled tasks

Stefan
Jun 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM

That's great, thanks Stefan.

All those files appear on the SD card (good news), except BeyondPodItemHistory.bin

I've purchased my SD card reader and hope it will be delivered tomorrow.  If chkdsk doesn't solve the problem, I'll DL and install BeyondPod to internal memory, then replace the internal memory versions of the files you listed (above) with the equivelent files from the SD card.  I hope that will minimise any setting up I will have to do.

Just to confirm, there are a few corrupted files in the folder.  They have a creation date and time of 1am; the time when the first scheduled task was due.  It could be the card that's faulty (although only a couple of weeks old).  It does get a lot of big files written to it (I currently have 44 podcast feeds including video podcasts).

I always tell my clients to backup.  Maybe I should take my own advice more regularly.

Thanks again for the help.

Jun 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2008 at 10:46 PM
I have used BeyondPod 2.7.1 for awhile without problem.  Recently, when I try to start it, I get the message "Loading feed store..." and then BeyondPod crashes.  None of the files: settings.xml, trackstate.xml, or beyondpodhistory.bin or are changed.  I don't have a beyondpoditemhistory.bin file.  The BeyondPodLog.txt and FeedUpdateLog.htm are also not changed. 

I tried rebooting my device, but it didn't help.  Then I tried upgrading to the 2.7.1.7 development build, but it behaves the same.  Any ideas?

-David
Jun 19, 2008 at 1:43 PM

dem107 wrote:
I have used BeyondPod 2.7.1 for awhile without problem.  Recently, when I try to start it, I get the message "Loading feed store..." and then BeyondPod crashes.  None of the files: settings.xml, trackstate.xml, or beyondpodhistory.bin or are changed.  I don't have a beyondpoditemhistory.bin file.  The BeyondPodLog.txt and FeedUpdateLog.htm are also not changed. 

I tried rebooting my device, but it didn't help.  Then I tried upgrading to the 2.7.1.7 development build, but it behaves the same.  Any ideas?

-David

A good place to look is the last few lines in the log file (BeyondPodLog.txt in the BeyondPod directory). They may give us a hint of what is going on. If they don'y make much sense to you, just post them here or send the entire file to "support" at  beyondpod.mobi and I will take a look. Another thing you can try is to save all 4 files some place and delete them one by one from the BeyondPod directory and try to start BeyondPod after each deletion. This way you can probably narrow down which file causes BeyondPod to crash (My guess is that it is probably the feed database - TrackState.xml).
I am quite interested in finding the real reason for this crash so with some experimentation we should be able to get to to bottom of it.

Stefan
Jun 19, 2008 at 6:23 PM

skyntchev wrote:
A good place to look is the last few lines in the log file (BeyondPodLog.txt in the BeyondPod directory). They may give us a hint of what is going on. If they don'y make much sense to you, just post them here or send the entire file to "support" at  beyondpod.mobi and I will take a look. Another thing you can try is to save all 4 files some place and delete them one by one from the BeyondPod directory and try to start BeyondPod after each deletion. This way you can probably narrow down which file causes BeyondPod to crash (My guess is that it is probably the feed database - TrackState.xml).
I am quite interested in finding the real reason for this crash so with some experimentation we should be able to get to to bottom of it.

Stefan
Thanks for the quick response.  I sent you a zip file with TrackSate.xml.bak, BeyonPodLog.txt, BeyondPodHistory.bin, FeedUpdateLog.htm, Settings.xml and TrackState.xml.  The BeyondPodLog.txt file doesn't change after a crash, so I'm not sure it's helpful.  I renamed TrackState.xml and BeyondPod still crashed.  Then I renamed TrackState.xml.bak and BeyondPod started without a problem.  Of course, it lost all my feeds and podcasts!  The feed folders and podcast files are still there, but BeyondPod doesn't know about it.   Is there any way to get the feed database back?
Jun 19, 2008 at 7:16 PM

dem107 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response.  I sent you a zip file with TrackSate.xml.bak, BeyonPodLog.txt, BeyondPodHistory.bin, FeedUpdateLog.htm, Settings.xml and TrackState.xml.  The BeyondPodLog.txt file doesn't change after a crash, so I'm not sure it's helpful.  I renamed TrackState.xml and BeyondPod still crashed.  Then I renamed TrackState.xml.bak and BeyondPod started without a problem.  Of course, it lost all my feeds and podcasts!  The feed folders and podcast files are still there, but BeyondPod doesn't know about it.   Is there any way to get the feed database back?

I looked at BeyondPodLog.txt and the last download attempt was from http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/nflw/2008/06/14/nflw_20080614_64.mp3.  I looked at the file in \Storage Card\My Documents\BeyondPod\APM A Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegon\nflw_20080614_64.mp3 and it is strangely corrupted.  It has an mp3 extension, but Windows Mobile 5 seems to think it's an executable.  When I copy it to my Windows XP desktop, I get three identical filenames in the same folder.  All very strange. 

I tried deleting the reference to this file from TrackState.xml 
track path="\Storage Card\My Documents\BeyondPod\APM A Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegon\nflw_20080614_64.mp3" totalTime="0" playedTime="0" name="nflw 20080614 64" played="0" protocol="rss" url="http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/nflw/2008/06/14/nflw_20080614_64.mp3" downloadSize="8335683" downloadPortion="8335683" pubDate="Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:00:00 GMT" />

and then I started BeyondPod.  It started without a problem!
Jun 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM

dem107 wrote:

dem107 wrote:

I looked at BeyondPodLog.txt and the last download attempt was from http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/nflw/2008/06/14/nflw_20080614_64.mp3.  I looked at the file in \Storage Card\My Documents\BeyondPod\APM A Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegon\nflw_20080614_64.mp3 and it is strangely corrupted.  It has an mp3 extension, but Windows Mobile 5 seems to think it's an executable.  When I copy it to my Windows XP desktop, I get three identical filenames in the same folder.  All very strange. 

I tried deleting the reference to this file from TrackState.xml 
track path="\Storage Card\My Documents\BeyondPod\APM A Prairie Home Companion's News from Lake Wobegon\nflw_20080614_64.mp3" totalTime="0" playedTime="0" name="nflw 20080614 64" played="0" protocol="rss" url="http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/nflw/2008/06/14/nflw_20080614_64.mp3" downloadSize="8335683" downloadPortion="8335683" pubDate="Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:00:00 GMT" />

and then I started BeyondPod.  It started without a problem!

If I understand correctly, it was the "funky" downloaded file that was causing the problem, That makes sense. I think just deleting the file from the storage card would also do the trick (the reference to that file in TrackState.xml would be ignored if the file itself does not exist.) I think we got lucky that the last downloaded file was the one that was causing the problem. I have seen several cases where the for some reason large files stored on the storage card sometimes get corrupted.

Thank you very much for investigating and following up on this. I will try to add some safeguards that should prevent such crashes in the future.

Stefan.
Jul 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM
The "check for updates" doesn't seem to work. It just says that my version 2.6.1.18 is the latest one.

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:08 AM
Ok, a restart of the phone solved the problem. Caching issue?
Jul 15, 2008 at 12:19 PM

hennish wrote:
Ok, a restart of the phone solved the problem. Caching issue?

BeyondPod just uses IE to navigate to that page. Sometimes IE decides not to get the page, but use a cached version instead (not sure why).  If you suspect that IE may be caching, you can always use "Menu->Refresh" on that page to get the latest version. My suspicion is that if there are any connection problems it may decide to use the cached version. On the server, the caching for that page is disabled so IE should not cache it at all, but who knows...

Stefan
Jul 23, 2008 at 5:13 PM
I recently upgraded from a WM5 phone to WM6 and updated to the latest release of BeyondPod too.  I've set the player to external (WMP) with .ASX playlists to open all my podcasts in WMP.  It appears that BeyondPod is playing through WMP but in the BeyondPod interface, not opening the WMP interface.  This prevents me from using my bluetooth headset controls.  In the previous release I was using (I can't recall the build), the playlist was opened in the WMP interface and the bluetooth controls worked fine.

Was this behavior changed purposely?

Thanks,
Tom
Jul 23, 2008 at 11:43 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM
Tom,

You can set this in BeyondPod’s “Player” settings (Menu->Tools->Settings-Player Settings). In the “Default Podcast Player” select “Use External with (ASX) Playlist”. This will launch the external WMP with your podcasts from BeyondPod.

Stefan
Jul 23, 2008 at 11:55 PM
<quote>
You can set this in BeyondPod’s “Player” settings (Menu->Tools->Settings-Player Settings). In the “Default Podcast Player” select “Use External with (ASX) Playlist”. This will launch the external WMP with your podcasts from BeyondPod.
</quote>

This is what I've done.  I actually don't see any difference in behavior between the "Use External" option and the "Use External with (ASX) Playlist".  They both fail to open the WMP interface.  It does appear that the file is being played by WMP but as a sort of plug-in to the BeyondPod interface.  Is this unique to my phone (Samsung Blackjack II)?

Thanks,
Tom
Jul 24, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Tom. I see what you are saying. When you set the BeyondPod to use External Player, do you see BeyondPod's built in player show up (the one that you control from within BeyondPod and the one that tracks the played time)? The external player behavior is determined by what player (or application) is registered for the given extension on your device. When set to "use external" BeyondPod just starts the file as if you clicked on it in File Explorer.
What happens if you just start the same podcast in explorer does WMP start up, or the file just starts to play?
We have not changed anything in the player integration for very long time so what you are seeing is probably something specific to your device. My guess is that it is probably caused by a wrong application that is registered to handle ASX or MP3 file extensions.
Have you tried to see what happens if you set it to use the "External Player with PLS extension"?

Stefan

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Stefan,
Thanks for the ideas.  Here are the results:
Launching a *.asx file from explorer will open WMP.
Launching a podcast from explorer will open WMP.
Setting the player to use external with either PLS or ASX will play the file(s) in BeyondPod.  Here is a screenshot of "Use External with (ASX) Playlist".  You can see that the WMP controls show up in the BeyondPod interface and BeyondPod also tracks the time played above.
http://flickr.com/photos/thomaspropst/2698068997/
Where is the playlist stored that BeyondPod creates?  I would like to check for it and if possible just open it through explorer.

Thanks,
Tom
Jul 25, 2008 at 3:41 PM
Tom

Thanks for the screen shot. The play list file that BeyondPod creates is located in the "RSSCache" sub directory (it is either BeyondPod.ASX or BeyondPod.PLS). 
What seems very strange is that for some reason on your device the external player setting does not seem to have effect. If you have any of "Use external..." BeyondPod should never play it in the internal player.

Here is what I suggest you can do:
1. Save your current BeyondPod installation folder somewhere and delete the BeyondPod directory from the device (or just rename the BeyondPod directory). This will clear any existing settings you may have for the next step
2. Do a fresh install of BeyondPod 2.8. When starting the new installed version it should start with the default feeds (not yours).
3. See if you set the Player to "external" if that opens an external WMP. If it does there is something wrong with your settings and in this case I will help you migrate them over.

Another thing you can try is this. There is a place in the Player settings where you can list the extensions of the files that the internal player supports (called "Supported File Types"). If you remove the .mp3 extension, this should also force BeyondPod to open the external player.

Let me know how it goes.

Stefan

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:08 PM
I have a feed that almost all of the time doesn't download the podcast when I do an "Update and Download Current Category." After it updates all the podcasts and downloads all of them except this one, I enter the feed screen, and the podcast is there, but the link shows "Download Again" as if it had already been downloaded. It's The NYTimes Front Page podcast:

http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/podcasts/frontpage.xml

Also, I love the feature you added where when you go to Podcasts they're all listed there, not just the selected feed (the new playlist). But the latest update now alphabetizes the podcasts themselves in this list. Previously they were loaded in this playlist in the order you have your feeds sorted. I had put a 1 and 2 and so on in front of various feeds for priority, so for instance the first podcast in the list would be 1CNN Headline News. But now the podcasts play with whatever the random and bizarre names the source has given the podcasts themselves, in alphabetical order. Maybe a user preference might be considered here?

Thanks,
Gerry

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:19 AM
Stefan,
When BeyondPod doesn't create the playlist file in my original installation.
After I reinstalled, it worked as expected with the default settings.  Can I migrate my feeds and status to the new installation?  If not, it won't be too much reconfigure it manually.

Thanks,
Tom
Jul 26, 2008 at 1:27 PM
Tom,

BeyondPod uses 4 files to store all its settings:
  • Settings.xml - various global (not per-feed dependent) settings, and the global list of categories
  • TrackState.xml - all feed subscriptions and related feed settings such as spacesavers etc. (BeyondPod creates a backup copy of this file - TrackState.xml.bak - every time it saves it in case it gets corrupted)
  • BeyondPodHistory.bin - the podcast download history for all feeds
  • BeyondPodItemHistory.bin - the read/unread status of the items from all feeds
BeyondScheduler has only 1 configuration file:
  • ScheduledTasks.xml - stores the information for all scheduled tasks
The type of the player (internal/external) is set in the Setings.xml. (actually all settings that are in  Tools->Settings menu are stored there), so use the one from the new install. You can copy the other files to the new installation and it should pick up your feeds. The important setting you may have to redo in Tools->Settings->General settings is the location where you want your podcast downloaded, and may be also recreate any custom categories you may have created.
It is better to first configure the settings and then copy the other files, because as the feeds  are loaded the categories they belong must already exist in the settings (if they don't the feeds will still load just will be "uncategorized")

Stefan

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:38 PM
Gerry,

I will take a look at that feed and let you know what I find. You are correct that at one point the feeds were grouped by podcast, but somebody complained about the grouping and I switched it to alphabetical across the entire list. I will put it on my to do list to turn that into a setting.

Stefan
Jul 26, 2008 at 4:25 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Stefan,
The problem seems to be one of the other files.  I assume it is TrackState.xml.  I cleared all the files, reinstalled all but Settings.xml, then set the player to external.  The podcasts still open in the internal player.

Thanks,
Tom

I forgot to mention that the BeyondPod.asx file is not being created with the new install either.
Jul 26, 2008 at 6:41 PM
Tom,

Can you check what is selected in "Play Podcast Using" in the Feed properties for some of the feeds you are having problems with? (Select the feed and then Menu->Manage Feeds->Edit feed) scroll down and click on More Settings... and scroll towards the end of the screen.  Each feed by default uses the  player setting set in Tools->Settings, but you can override that per feed. If feed's "Play Podcast Using" is other than "Default Player", then it will ignore the Global setting and use what is set in the Feed Properties. I bet yours for some reason are set to use the internal player, and that will explain why the Global setting does not take effect.

Stefan

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM
Stefan,
I checked all my podcast feed settings and they are all set to use "Default Player".
Would it help if I sent you my XML files?

Thanks,
Tom
Jul 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM
Tom,

Seems like this is the right thing to do at the moment. I will need both Settings.xml and TrackState.xml. You can send them to: support at beyondpod.mobi. If they fail here the same way I should be able to find the issue. Thank you very much for sticking with me on this problem.

Stefan
Jul 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM
Tom,

I looked at the files you sent. Here is what you have to do in this order:

1. Go to Tools > Settings > Player Settings and set the player to "Use External With ASX Playlist."
2. Go to the properties of your feeds (Manage Feeds > Edit Feed), and you will see that this time "Play Podcasts Using" will be set to "Use Internal" - Change it to "Use Default".

What is happening is that all your feeds for some reason were set to use the internal player. The way the code is written the "Feed Properties" indicates what player will be currently used. This way, based on what is the global default player setting (in Tools > Settings) is may say "Using Default" if both the global and feed's setting are the same, regardless that the feed's setting has overwritten the default setting. As we found out this is a (bit) confusing so I will probably rework the Feed Properties to say "Use Default" only when the feed does not explicitly overwrite the global setting.

Stefan.
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Gerry,

One thing you can try with the NYT front page podcast is to turn "Force Unique Names" on in Feed Properties for that feed. Because of the URL of the podcast, BeyondPod can't figure out the correct name for the podcast file and the result is the behavior you see.

Stefan
Aug 1, 2008 at 12:52 AM
Thanks Stefan, the past two days the Unique Names fix seems to be working.
Gerry
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:00 PM
Stefan,
I tried to switch to the internal player today but now all podcasts play only in WMP.  It seems that the individual feed settings are sticking.  I set them all to use the "Default Player" but when I switch the default, each feed then has the previous player set.
Can you reproduce this?

Thanks,
Tom
Aug 2, 2008 at 7:11 PM
Tom,

Can you try this with one of your feeds to see if it works:

1. Check that the local (feed's) player is set to "Use Default"
2. Go to the global player setting (in Tools > Settings and change the player to something else)
3. Go back to the same feed and make sure that the feed's player is still set to "Use Default", if not Set it again to "Use Default"
4. Now this feed should start to follow the global settings.

Because of the way the code is currently written, you have to make sure that feed's setting is set to "Use Default" regardless of what is the global player setting (i.e try it for a couple different global settings). Another way to verify that is to open the TrackState.xml file in a text editor (such as "Notepad") on your computer and look for the text  >feedPlayer="0"<  (without the < > symbols) and change the "0" to "-1". "-1" menas - use whatever is the global setting. Steps 1..3 should do the same thing wihout having to edit the file manually, but if you edit the file, you can change all of them in one pass.

Stefan
Aug 10, 2008 at 10:45 AM
I use BeyondPod 2.8.0. There is a minor glitch when I delete (more than 1) played podcast. The confirmation screen uses a wrong new line character.

Out of curiosity I looked in the log file and found 3 interesting exceptions:
9.8.08 17:21:04: Unable to parse feed date: [11/19/07 2:49:22 PM]! Reason: FormatException
Could it be caused by Regional settings of the PDA?

9.8.08 17:51:44: !!! OUT OF MEMORY EXCEPTION !!!
v Microsoft.AGL.Common.MISC.HandleAr(PAL_ERROR ar)
v System.Drawing.Bitmap._Init(Int32 cx, Int32 cy)
v System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.OwnerDrawnList`1.OnResize(EventArgs e)
v System.Windows.Forms.Control.WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
v System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
v Microsoft.AGL.Forms.WL.SetPos(IntPtr hwnThis, RC& rcBounds, BoundsSpecified bsSet)
v System.Windows.Forms.Control._SetBoundsCore(Rectangle rect, BoundsSpecified bsSpecified)
v System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Height(Int32 value)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.MediaPlayerView.SetView()
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.MediaPlayerView.OnResize(EventArgs e)
v System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
v System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
v Microsoft.AGL.Forms.ML.CreateMainMenu(IntPtr hwnForm, IntPtr& hmnuNew)
v System.Windows.Forms.MainMenu._CreateMainMenuTree(Form frmOwner)
v System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Menu(MainMenu value)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.ActivateView(ViewNames i_View)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.CommandManager.OnTrackSelected(Track aTrack)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.TracksView.PlaySelected()
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.TracksView.ItemClicked(Int32 i_ItemIndex, Int32 X, Int32 Y, ClickSpeed speed)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.OwnerDrawnList`1.OnMouseClicked(MouseEventArgs e, ClickSpeed speed)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.DragHelper.OnMouseUp(Object o, MouseEventArgs e)
v System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
v Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterMainLoop(IntPtr hwnMain)
v System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Program.Main(String[] args)
I do remeber it crashed once with this but I do not remeber what I did, sorry.

10.8.08 00:52:18: Fatal Exception Handler: ObjectDisposedException
v System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeHelper(Delegate method, Boolean fSynchronous, Object[] rgobjArgs)
v System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.OnRepositorySave(Boolean isSaving)
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.FeedRepository.SaveRepository()
v svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.FeedRepository.<AutoSaveRepository>b__1(Object o)
v System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.doWork(Object o)
v System.Threading.Timer.ring()
Could it be some unfinished thread operation after the closing of the main form?
Aug 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM
drfie,

Thanks for reporting that. You are correct we do you the incorrect CR symbol and I fixed that in the code. As for the other log traces you sent, I have seen them showing up from time to time. The first one is to certain degree part of the normal operation as BeyondPod uses extensively off-screen graphics that have to be disposed and re-allocated when the window sizes change so every so often the device can temporarily run out of memory. The second is a bit more interesting and I don't have a good idea at the moment what is causing it.

Stefan.
Aug 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM
Stefan,

Thanks for your answers. Any idea on the FormatException though? :)
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:00 AM
Hi Stefan,

I found a bug when handling a link in Atom 1.0 feeds.
The following Atom feed is not possible to be used.
http://heise-online.mobi/news/heise-atom.xml

This is caused by the missing rel-attribute in the link-tag.
The LinkHandler in BeyondPod/FeedCore/RSS/Parsers/AtomEntryParser.cs only interprets the href-attribute if the rel-attribute is present.

As described in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4287#section-4.2.7 the attribute is not necessary.
If it is not present, the attribute must be interpreted as rel="alternate".

Ingo
Aug 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM
Drfie,

Actually the Date Time exception is quite interesting, as it is DateTime that BeyondPod generates and parses back and it should not have problems with. Actually exact that place had an issue before and that issue was caused exactly by the regional settings of the device. We got around that issue by saving the Date Time using culture independent format (ToUniversalTime().ToString("r")) which is the Round Trip format and should work both ways all the time. I am not sure what is going on. Do you see that error frequently or it was just one occurence?

Stefan
Aug 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM
Ingo,

Thank you very much for finding and researching the cause of the problem. Atom feeds are not as popular as RSS feeds so  BeyondPod's support is a bit "spotty" there. Would you be interested in implementing the fix and either checking it in or sending me the file back. I am currently in the middle of doing some extensive reorganizations on the UI side for the next build so any help in fixing that will be is very welcome and appreciated.

Stefan
Aug 13, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Hi Stefan,

I wrote a fix.
It was just a small change.

How do you want to get the file. I can't run SvnBridge executable on my computer to check in.

Ingo
Aug 13, 2008 at 6:06 PM
Ingo,

Thank you very much for fixing that.
I added you as a developer to the project so you should be able to check it in.

Are you by any chance interested in helping with some other enhancements or fixes? BeyondPod is getting bigger (and popular) and I am starting to struggle to answer questions, develop features and research and fix issues. I am looking for some help.
If you are interested please contact me offline - support at beyondpod.mobi.

Stefan.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:14 AM
Stefan,

There are a few FormatExceptions on top of the log. Nowhere else.
I am going to vacation now. After I return I will see if I can be of any help here.
Aug 25, 2008 at 3:09 PM
Hi Stafan,

I have the device HTC Artemis P3330 with Win 6.0 with the Czech language and WIndows Media Player 10 (10.3 build 18125). Even if the file trackstate.xml deposit position at the end of play podcasts, the next run the program, all the sets to top positions. I do not know where to look for an error. setting up the media player as a repetition, etc. I checked, there was not anything checked. Not taking "bits" so it's best rss and podcast reader what I know.

Paul
Aug 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM
Paul,

I am not sure I understand exactly the problem you are having. Is it that BeyondPod does not remember the last position of a podcast after restart? (For example if you play a podcast for 5 minutes then stop it, exit BeyondPod, start BeyondPod again and try to play the same podcast - it will start from the beginning not from 5 minutes mark). Or is is some other issue.  If the problem is with not remembering the played position here is what you can do to help me resolve the issue:
Try to play a couple of files in the internal player and make sure that as you switch from file to file, that  BP tracks and displays the current position for each podcast in the player view (your screen should look something similar to the last picture on the Documentation page where the first podcast 0808233... is about a third played, and the next one is about 3/4 played). This will indicate if BP tracks the podcasts correctly on your device. Close BP, and try to open it again. If the played information is missing from the files (podcasts display without any "progress" highlighting, can you please send me 2 files - both from the beyondpod install folder on the device - one is "TrackState.xml" and the second is "BeyondPodLog.txt". You can send them both to  support @  beyondpod.mobi.
I will try to figure out what is going on.

Stefan

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:59 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM
Bug:
When using Windows Media Player 10 Mobile as the external player (plain, no PLS, no ASX) it is not possible to delete the played podcast. I assume it is because the external player still has an open file handle to the file.
Workaround:
Start playing another file in the player.

I wonder if it is possible for BeyondPod to force the external player to close the file, or perhaps just instruct the external player to play a dummy file with no sound? That should free the current file and allow BeyondPod to delete it.
Specs:
  • HP iPAQ 614c (touchscreen)
  • Windows Mobile 6.0
  • MS .NET CF Ver 3.5
  • BeyondPod 2.9.0.2
Aug 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM
Hello,

yes, not subject to the state of play sounds. Sending a reference to video me what to do, maybe it will be better. and yet they send mail requested files.Download videofile: beyondPod bug

Paul
Aug 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM
Edited Aug 30, 2008 at 2:42 PM
Bug:
There is no visual indication of the "played" status of a podcast, which makes the "Toggle Played" feature (Podcast view, Menu => Toggle Played) difficult to use.

I am not sure if this is a real bug, or if it should be classified as a feature request, but I think it is more or a bug.
Workaround:
Select "Deleted Played" and check the file list in the verification dialogue that pops up. Toggle the status as needed.
Specs:
  • Windows Mobile 6.0
  • MS .NET CF Ver 3.5
  • BeyondPod 2.9.0.2
Aug 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Bug:
On-screen keyboard obscures part of settings screen.
Reproduce by:
Select Menu => Manage Feeds => Edit Feed => More Settings.
Scroll down to the "What Is New" section, and activate the on-screen keyboard to edit the "unread items".
On my device, the on-screen keyboard pops up from the lower part of the screen, and obscures the editable field.

I don't know what can be done about this. Best would be if the settings screen automatically moved/scrolled up to leave room for the keyboard. Alternatively, include 4-5 lines of white-space at the end of the settings so it is possible to manually scroll down and move the real setting screen above the keyboard.
Specs:
  • Windows Mobile 6.0
  • MS .NET CF Ver 3.5
  • BeyondPod 2.9.0.3
Aug 31, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2008 at 9:53 PM
Stefan,
Sorry for the long delay but I finally tried setting the default player for all feeds by editing the configuration file.  I changed all feeds to '-1'.  They all play with the default player I have set in the global settings.  After many days, if I change the default player, the individual podcasts do not change.  If I check the settings for an individual feed, it shows whatever the global setting was originally.

I repeated the process but using the interface rather than editing the configuration file and the global settings affect all feeds as expected...for now.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tom
Sep 2, 2008 at 1:19 PM
Tom,

There is a new development build (2.9.0.3) that should have that issue fixed. You can download it from the BETA site  http://www.beyondpod.mobi/beta.
Let me know if that works for you.

Stefan
Sep 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Jan,

The keyboard panel issue is something that I have known for some time, but have completely forgotten about. Thank you very much for reminding me. I will fix it in the next build.

The "played" podcast is marked with a different background of the podcast (which is sometimes may be difficult to distinguish if you have only one or two of them). If you have several podcasts in the "Podcast" view, if you mark one of them as "Played" (Menu->Toggle Played) you should be able to see the difference, unless there is some unknown bug or your color scheme is set in a such way that makes played and nonplayed indistinguishable.

The problem with deletion of a podcast played in an external player is a bit tricky as once BeyondPod starts the external player, there is no way to know what podcast is currently being played in the extenral player (especially if you start it as a playlist). Nor I can tell the player to play seomething else and still preserve the existing playlist. If nothing else, I can probably modify the message to remind the user to close the external player if that happens.

Stefan.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:16 PM
Okay - I see the subbtle difference in the background now. But it is hard to distinguish I must say. Light-light grey (or is it white?) versus slightly darker grey. I would rather that the little note to the left of the podcast changed colour from the current grey-blue to something else. Maybe it should start as green, and then go blue when it is played? And yellow while being played? Or you could change the little curved arrow to the right of the note into a check-mark when it has been marked as played.

I have never used Media Player(s) much so I am not sure I understand what a playlist really is. I had hoped it was a list of files to play. If so, you could kinda solve it by creating a playlist with 2 items:
  1. The podcast to play.
  2. A dummy (silent) file.
The external player would start playing the podcast (and locking the file), and when done, it would play the dummy file (and release the podcast in the process). That would make it possible to delete the podcast file from BeyondPod when the time comes.
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM
I've been having two issues.
Since version 2.8, the podcasts don't seem to order correctly.  I have mine set to order all by date from oldest to newest.  When I first open the podcast view, some are out of order.  I can't see a pattern.  If I choose "Show Current Feed only" from the menu and then "Show all in 'All feeds'", the order is then correct.
Also since version 2.8, I am unable to permanently delete some podcasts.  I chose to delete all played podcasts and they delete.  The next time my feeds are updated, they come back.  I've played around with this a bit and have found occassionally they will disappear forever but I can't figure out how.  It may be that I need to update all feeds several times before deleting the podcasts but I haven't determined this for sure.  Is there a sure-fire way to ensure a podcast is marked so that it is no longer downloaded?

BTW...version 2.9 beta seems to have fixed my player choice issue.

Thanks,
Tom
Sep 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM
Tom,

I am glad the default player setting is working now. Thanks for helping me resolve that.
I did play quite a bit with the sorting order in the latest build and could not replicate the sorting issue. My guess is that it is probably caused by a particular feed or feeds. Have you noticed if the "unsorted" podcast belong a single feed or feeds.
The same is probably true for the deleted podcasts. If they disappear from the list, that means that they are deleted. (You can always try to go to Menu > Tools > Refresh and do a full refresh of the repository - if they are not deleted they will reappear then).
My guess is that for some reason, those get re-downloaded again by mistake, rather than not being deleted. Can you check if the ones that "reappear" are all from the same feed? If you find that given feed is causing one or both of the issues, send me the feed URL and I will take a look.
Also can you tell me what are the Regional Settings on your device. Sometimes based on the region the device is in, that could cause some feeds to behave strangely.

Stefan.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM
Icons missing from Content view in development version 2.9.0.4?

Is it just me, or are all the little icons in Content view missing in 2.9.0.4?

Instead of the play, download and stream icons, I see the broken icon (green square, red ball, blue triangle).
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:49 PM
Hello,

I use a smartphone HTC (Qtek 9100). It is working correctly for one podcast: http://www.teleac.nl/radio/xml/rss.jsp?page=134903 (a Dutch podcast) but not correctly for other podcasts.

For example for http://radiofrance-podcast.net/podcast/rss_16256.xml and for http://radiofrance-podcast.net/podcast/rss_10867.xml, it is never working.

I always receive first the message "downloading" and after 1, 2 or 3 minutes the message "failed".

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your information. It is a very niece software and very useful for the Dutch podcast and I would love to use it for all podcasts.

Didier C.
Sep 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM
MiniMax,

I just checked and the latest build has the Content icons in it. Sometimes pocket IE (this is what BeyondPod uses for the content view) gets confused and for some reason refuses to load the icons. A simple Refresh usually fixes that.

Stefan
Sep 9, 2008 at 2:43 PM
Didier,

Can you see if you have enough free space in the location where you download your podcast (by default it is the same place you installed BeyondPod).  What you describe can happen if the there is not enough space to download the podcast. You can see the available space in the podcast download location at the top of the content view. If this is the case, you will also see an error message in the update log (Menu > Update and Download > View Update Log).
You can change the default download folder for this podcast in the Feed Properties (Manage Feeds > Edit Feed) or you can change the default download folder for all feeds in the general settings.

Stefan
Sep 9, 2008 at 11:19 PM
> Sometimes pocket IE (this is what BeyondPod uses for the content view) gets confused and for some reason refuses to load the icons.

Ahh - that was the hint I needed. I now remembered that I unchecked the "Show images" option in IE. Now that I have switched that back on, the icons are showing.
Sep 11, 2008 at 12:50 AM
Hello Stefan,
Thank you very very much. You are right. It was exactly the problem. I just made a donation of 40 dollars for your great software.
Didier C.

De : skyntchev [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Envoyé : mardi 9 septembre 2008 15:44
À : didier.coeurnelle@gmail.com
Objet : Re: I found a bug! [beyondpod:9678]

Didier,

Can you see if you have enough free space in the location where you download your podcast (by default it is the same place you installed BeyondPod). What you describe can happen if the there is not enough space to download the podcast. You can see the available space in the podcast download location at the top of the content view. If this is the case, you will also see an error message in the update log (Menu > Update and Download > View Update Log).
You can change the default download folder for this podcast in the Feed Properties (Manage Feeds > Edit Feed) or you can change the default download folder for all feeds in the general settings.

Stefan
Sep 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Didier,

Thank you very much for your generous donation. This will keep the beyondpod.mobi hosting server for another year!

Stefan.

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:03 PM
Edited Sep 16, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Bug:
View Update Log does not handle Unicode/UTF-8 characters well.

Well, I think it is UTF-8 characters...

If so, it looks like it is easy to fix (http://en.unicode.se/?page=viewguide&g=22): You need to insert an extra meta-tag in the log file:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Hopefully that won't break anything else :)
Reproduce by:
Select Menu => Manage Feeds => Add New Feed and add either of these Swedish and Danish feeds:
  • http://podcast.dr.dk/p1/rssfeed/orientering_soendag.xml
    Name it "DR - Orientering søndag".
  • http://www.sr.se/rssfeed/alltidpahelgen.aspx
    Name it "Alltid på helgen".
Do a feed download, and view the update log (Menu => Update and Download => View Update Log). Notice how the feed names are mangled:

"DR - Orientering søndag" becomes ""DR - Orientering søndag".
"Alltid på helgen" becomes "Alltid pÃ¥ helgen".

Problem happens both with the built-in Pocket IE and Opera 9.51 Beta.
Specs:
  • Windows Mobile 6.0
  • MS .NET CF Ver 3.5
  • BeyondPod 2.9.0.5
Sep 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM
Thanks MiniMax,

Good find! I added this to the code and it should be in the next release.

Stefan
Sep 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a problem with the phone, but here's the description in any case.    I have an ETEN Glofiish X500 phone (which has proven to be excellent in most respects) running WM5, and have installed BeyondPod on the phone.  Originally I installed the program (and the downloaded podcasts) on the micro SD card, but found that periodically, the entire contents of the BeyondPod directory would disappear.  The directory itself would be there, but no contents would be visible via File Explorer.  When I went to check the amount of space on the card using the tedious windows 'Settings-System-Memory' sequence, the card would show that it had no more (or less) free space than before the BeyondPod folder became empty.  When I removed the micro SD card and looked at in on my laptop (which has an SD card slot), I could see all of the contents of the BeyondPod folder with no problems.  When put back into the phone, the BeyondPod folder appeared empty again.  The curious thing is that I have not been able to reproduce this with any other program, and in all other respects the phone and micro SD card appear to be working perfectly.

I then tried a different tack - installing BeyondPod into the main memory but storing the downloaded podcasts onto the micro SD card.   The folder containing the downloaded podcasts will now suddenly become 'empty' and I can't access the downloaded files, but as before, when I put the card into my laptop, I can access them as normal.   The BeyondPod program remains intact in the main memory, which saves me having to recreate all the feeds each time the problem arises, which is what I was doing originally, and now that it is only the downloads that disappear it's not such a big deal - I can delete the folder containing the podcasts and then recreate it, and then all the podcasts can be downloaded again.

I haven't been able to see any specific thing that triggers this problem and it only happens about once every two weeks or so.  I do have a lot of feeds set up (about 40), but BeyondPod seems to handle them all just fine most of the time.  I thought it might be connected with the micro SD card reaching capacity, but it appears not.

Aside from this, I think that BeyondPod is excellent and much better than any of the other podcase software I have tried for WM5 - including some that cost a reasonable amount of money.   I will make a donation - keep up the good work!  
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM
dgpe - I have the same setup: BeyondPod is installed on the system device, and all my music and podcast files on an extra 2 GB micro-SD card, but I have never seem the problem you describe. I do use WM 6.0 though...

I don't know about WM 5.0 - do you have a File Explorer, or an Media Player on your device? Instead of transfering the card to your PC, do the files show up if you try to access them through the File Explorer or from the Media Player?

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:06 PM
Dgpe,

I have seen that happen from time to time. For some reason when you write large files the FAT file system on the card gets confused. I have noticed that it happens more often to some cards (brand/sizes) than others. Newer cards, with higher capacity appear to be a bit better. Also there are some settings in the registry (like cache sizes etc) that people change to "speed up" the device. While the changes appear to not have any other side effects, in my opinion they probably contribute to the corrupted FAT problem on the storage card.
My experience is mostly based on the HTC devices as all 5 devices I have used so far were all made by HTC, and they seem to be relatively stable regardless of the version of Windows Mobile. I usually have may be one or two corruptions per year. Actually I had one about a month ago -the first for this year.

At this point the 2 things I can suggest are: If you made any registry tweaks to sped up your device try to return them to their default values or try a different brand card.

Stefan
Oct 5, 2008 at 3:39 PM
Stefan,

Thanks for your comments - it seems logical to think that the SD card is at fault and / or that the problem lies with the FAT filing system.  I haven't consciously changed any of the system settings such as the cache size, but I do have SK Tools installed and its possible that that may have made some changes without me realizing it.   I will check and I will also try and track whether the problem is related to file size. 

Thanks for your help.
Oct 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM
MiniMax,

Good question about whether Media Player can see the files or not.  File Explorer definitely can't see the files but I will see if Media Player can next time the problem occurs.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Oct 6, 2008 at 8:22 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM
Hello,

I just downloaded and installed BeyondPod yesterday. Everything worked fine and I was trying to add a Podcast when the program crashed with an error message. Now, everytime I launch Beyondpod it crashes with the same message after displaying the loading screen.

Here's a link to a screenshot of the message: http://www.theflow.ch/pictures/beyondpod/BeyondPod_error.jpg

And another one to my BeyondPodLog.txt file: http://www.theflow.ch/pictures/beyondpod/BeyondPodLog.txt

As you can see from the logfile I was trying to add some feed from rsr.ch (http://www.rsr.ch/podcast.aspx?rss=c3-microsillon) when this happened. I had entered a wrong adress and it didn't work. When I corrected it to what I believe was the correct url, it crashed.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall ; to reboot PPC ; to close all other running apps before launching BP ; to no avail.

Specs:
  • HTC Touch P3450 Elf
  • 15.687 Mb free RAM, 45.41 free on card.
  • Windows mobile 6 (original ROM)
  • MS .NET CF v.3.5
  • BeyondPod v.2.8.0

I do hope someone can help me with this issue as this program seems very fine and I look very much forward to seeing the RSS functions added to my PPC!

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

~Florian
Oct 6, 2008 at 8:42 PM
Hi Florian,

Can you try to install the latest beta version (you can download it from http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Beta) It should have a fix for the problem you are having. The problem is that one of your feeds has an invalid URL and that URL confuses BeyondPod. That was fixed in the BETA version some time ago.

I think that the Beta version should be able to load without a problem and then you can edit the problematic feed. If the beta version still does not work, all the feeds are stored in the TrackState.xml file so you can potentially open that file in notepad on your computer and delete the record with the incorrect feed, or you can just delete the entire TrackState.xml file and BeyondPod will create a new one next time it starts (but you will lose your feed subscriptions).  If you want to completely reinstall BeyondPod, just uninstall it and then delete all the files from the installation directory.

Stefan
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM
Wow, that's what I call a quick and efficient help!

I'm trying this right now and I keep you updated.

In the meanwhile, best thanks for your quick help!
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:31 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2008 at 9:54 PM
Um... I've uninstalled BP 2.8.0 and installed 2.9.0Beta. I am still having a crash righ after the "loading" screen (even a bit earlier than before since I don't even see the menus on the bottom).

I have updated the log file on http://www.theflow.ch/pictures/beyondpod/BeyondPodLog.txt

I will try the second method you gave and keep you updated.

Edit:

I have edited my TrackState.xml file like you told me and deleted the faulty feed, and now the program is working fine ^.^

For reference, here's a copy of my TrackState.xml file before I edit it:  http://www.theflow.ch/pictures/beyondpod/TrackState_old.xml

The feed I deleted is the one with ID=1cd7e939-e8f8-43fe-a6e3-28d71cfc2e14 (le microsillon du jour). As you can see I had set a very high value to maxtracks. I didn't download anything b4 the crash but maybe it could have caused a problem ?

Anyway, many thanks again for your quick and efficient help! If this program is as useful as I expect it to be to me, I'll definitely donate something.

Best regards,
Florian

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM
This is interesting. If you have a version of TrackState.xml that crashes the latest beta, can you please send it to support at beyond.mobi. I am very curious to find what is going on. I want to see what exactly is going on, because we had fixed a similar bug a while ago.

Stefan
Oct 6, 2008 at 10:19 PM
Florian,

Thank you very much for posting your TrackState.xml.
It helped me find and fix the issue. (It was a similar bug to one I had fixed a while ago but it manifested itself in a very unusual way)
Thanks again fro helping me with that!

Stefan
Oct 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM
Lol, posting this xml file 30 seconds before you ask is all I did, it's me who's thanking you for your hard work and your efficiency.
Glad I could bring my (little little) stone to the building ^^

Best regards,
Florian
Oct 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2008 at 11:45 PM
Sorry to report that in both 2.9.0.6 and 3.0 deleting played items in the podcast view does not work for podcasts hat were played with the external player (noticed, because they have a new item). It simply says: "Nothing to delete" which is not true ;-)
Oct 14, 2008 at 1:42 PM
negg,

I tried that and it appears to be working on my device. This is what I did:
I set one of my feeds to use the external player, played a couple of podcasts (they got the gray "played" icon). Then I went to the podcast view and selected "delete played" from the menu. It did correctly show me a dialog box with the list of podcasts that were played.

One reason why yours may not work is that if the feed is configured to NOT allow podcast deletions (as set in Feed Properties > "Allow Podcast Deletions") it will not "count" the played podcasts as available for deletion when you select "Delete Played" (but you can still delete them manually one by one).

(Also, before you play with that you may want to get  get the latest build 3.0.0.1 because there was a bug in 3.0.0.0 where if you say "No" on the "Delete Played" dialog it would still delete them).

Stefan

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:32 PM
Stefan, that solved it. Strange, I could swear that used to work in the older versions..thanks for helping me.
Here's another one ;-) as you know I use beyondpod mainly to listen to podcasts. One thing that I always do wrong is that I press the enter key (center button) to get to the podcast list of a feed, but instead the content view opens (which takes 20-30 seconds on some feeds). So I have to wait until that is finished and then I can go to the podcasts. I know I could simply use the left softkey, but somehow I always do it wrong first. Also I know that I can press "right" but then the first podcast starts immediately. So I would love to see a setting "center key opens podcast list instead of content view"...do you think that would make sense to more people than me?
Oct 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM
negg,

I am glad it worked.  Changing the action of the enter key was something that I have been thinking for a while as I also get  "bitten" by that from time to time. (I was just waiting for somebody else to raise it as an issue before implementing.) I will add it to the to do list for the next release.

Stefan
Oct 16, 2008 at 9:58 AM
Hi there. I'm new to BeyondPod so I may have missed a setting or something, but when I tried to download a podcast of around 150MB it said I didn't have enough space available to download it, followed by the amount of free space on my storage card, which is around 5GB.

I did manage to get it to download, but only after I had moved files from my main memory to my storage card, even though the download location is infact the storage card and not the main memory.

So it's aware it needs to download to the storage card, shows you how much free space is available correctly, but checks the main memory free space anyway and if there isn't enough it shows the msgbox...

Cheers.

Owen
Oct 16, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Thanks Owen,

You definitely found a bug there. It appears that if you try to manually download the very first podcast for a given feed, BeyondPod incorrectly checks the free space in the install folder instead of the podcast download folder. This is not a problem if you try to download the podcast using the "Update and Download" menu option, only if you use the manual download for the first podcast. (Once you download the first podcast the manual download works too). This bug is now fixed and it will be in the next release.

Thank you very much for reporting that.

Stefan
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:14 AM

I found a few oddities with the 3.0 release. I use BeyondPod exclusively for audio podcasts. Generally I download 1 video and 3 audio podcast files daily.

1) The video podcast is always first. After playing the video podcast, the next podcast in the feed does not automatically start. I have to go into the podcast list and manually select the next podcast to play (which is an audio podcast for me).

2) Sorting podcasts seems to have problems. The 4 podcasts I download are in date and timestamp order. When I set BeyondPod to sort by date and time the podcasts are always out of order. I have manually checked the timestamps on the video and audio files and they are correct. As a workaround, I have switched to sorting in alphabetical order. This works only after I manually select "Show all feeds" then "Show current feed only" from the podcast list menu. It does not seem to matter which of these modes I select, switching from one to the other seems to do the trick.

3) BeyondPod seems to lose track of playback status. After playback of 1 or more podcasts, pausing during a podcast, then coming back later, BeyondPod forgets where I left off. It sometimes marks the podcast last played as completely "not played".

4) After all my podcasts have been played, and I select "delete played", BeyondPod usually deletes only 3 of the 4 podcasts. There is no apparent pattern which is not deleted.

5) This isn't really a bug, more of a feature. In the 2.8 release, the progress bar for the currently playing podcast was shown in the Windows theme background color. In 3.0 it is a shade of grey and difficult to distinguish  fom the other podcasts (especially in poor lighting conditions). It would be great if you could go back to using the Windows theme or make an option to set the color.

6) Another enhancement, which I posted about before, is related to the podcast name display. It is difficult to read - it would be great if you could bold the name or use a larger font. The podcasts I download have horrifically long filenames whic get truncated in the display. It would be great if there were an option to left or right truncate the podcast filename by "n" characters.

Don't meant to complain, the 3.0 release is great. Seems to be a lot faster and smooter overall. Thanks for an awesome piece of software!

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:12 PM
munsterlander07,

Thanks for reporting that. My comments are below

1.  If you use an external player to play the video podcast - unfortunately in this case BeyondPod has no idea when the external player has finished playing so it can't start the next podcast. (In this case because of the same reason, BeyondPod can't track the played time either).
2. If you help me replicate the issue here I will fix it.  There were some occasional reports of broken sorting so I am constantly looking for issues during my downloads, but so far in all my tests sorting has been working fine. I would love to find what is the problem.
3. If you see this happen when using the internal player - this is something that I should be able to fix if you can help me narrow it down to what action causes it to miss it.
4. BeyondPod generally would not be able to delete a podcast if it is currently played (or open) in an external player. If you have issues with podcasts not being deleted that were played in the internal player, you can try and take a look in the LOG file (BeyondPodLog.txt) it should have more info why the podcast was not deleted.
5. I tried to keep the coloring scheme similar when I switched to 3.0 UI but there were so many things that changed and prbably that end up being hardcoded, I will take a look. Other people have complained about that too.
6. Are you by any chance using a Hi-Res VGA screen (640x480). I can probably tweak the fonts for this resolution.  Right truncation is already on the to do list and can probably make it in the next release.

Stefan

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Hi Stefan:

1) I am using the internal player - Windows Media Player
2) I downloaded the 3.0.0.2 update today and the sort worked correctly. I will keep my eye on it. I will be happy to help find the problem (if it exists), just let me know the information you need.
3) I will try to document the sequence that causes this.
4) I generally select "delete played" right after listening to my last podcast of the day. I use the internal player, but I have not made any effort to close the internal player before selecting "delete played". What is the simplest way to close the internal player before I select "delete played"? Do I have to go to task manager or is there a way to do it from BeyondPod?
5) Thank you!
6) I use a QVGA screen on the HTC Touch - Sprint version with WM6.1 ROM. Perhaps the problem is the length of the file name at 41 chars or more. Not sure why but the podcast name you generate for BeyondPod appears to be even longer at 53 chars. Of course this does not fit well on a small screen. It drives me nuts because I cannot see the last char of the name (before the file extension), which indicates the sequence for the day. Thanks in advance for the truncation feature!

Thanks,
Jerry

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Jerry,

The latest BETA 3.0.0.3 now has the ability to show either the start or the end of the podcast names.
If you play the files in the internal player, it should handle the deletion correctly as it will close the file before deleting it.
I have set mine to "delete at the and of the playback" so the deletion happens automatically after the podcast finishes playing and that seems to delete correctly.
I will play more with the deletion to see if I can find anything.

Stefan
Oct 29, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Stefan:

I'll set mine to delete after playback as well, should make things simpler.

I experienced a problem regarding items 2 and 3 today and wanted to document it for you. I started with my usual 4 podcasts. I had listened to 3 of the podcasts and the 4th and final podcast had just started playing. I paused playback in WMP to make a phone call.

1) My phone is an HTC Touch, it has an "End" button on the front which returns you to the Today screen from any application. While in BeyondPod, I pressed the "End" button to return to the today screen.
2) I made the phone call.
3) After the call, I pressed the "End" button to return to the Today screen.
4) I use SPB Pocket Plus. I pressed the BeyondPod icon from Pocket Plus to show BeyondPod. The sort order and status were now incorrect as follows:
The 3rd podcast was displayed 4th. Although I had listened to this podcast completely, it was shown as "not played"
The 4th podcast was displayed 3rd. It was correctly shown as "not played", and at the correct position in the podcast.

Hope this is helpful.

Jerry

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM
Some addtional observations to follow-up on the above:

I deleted the 3 podcasts I had played, including the 3rd podcast which BeyondPod showed as "not played". When I did "update and download all feeds" afterward, instead of downloading the 4 new podcasts for the day, BeyondPod started to download 6 podcasts. Then BeyondPod crashed. The error message was: "fatal exception handler: an error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found at Microsoft.AGL.Common.MISC.HandleAr() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_handle() at svs.Mobile.beyondMedia.UiCore.KineticControls.KineticListBase.RefreshList() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.UiCore.KineticControls.KineticListView.UpdateItem() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Controls.KineticPlayListView.OnTrackChanged() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.FeedRepository.OnTrackChanged() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.Track.MarkModified() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.Track.set_DownloadSize() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadEnclosureInternal() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.DownloadQueuedEnclosures() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDownloadManager.OnDownloadFailed() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.EnclosureDowwnloader.OnDownloaderror() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.DownloadAgent.OnDownloadError() at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.DownloadAgent.Download()"

Whew! If I knew how long that was in advance I would have transferred the log file over!

Anyway, I restarted BeyondPod and it continued downloading. It correctly downloaded the 4 podcasts for the current day. It also downloaded the first 2 podcasts for the previous day, which i had already played in their entirety and deleted.
Nov 1, 2008 at 8:57 PM
Hi Stefan:

I downloaded the 3.0.0.3 beta. Thank you VERY much for the filename truncation feature! One issue however, when set to "show end", the setting does not survive a restart of BeyondPod, it defaults bacck to "show start".

Thanks again,
Jerry
Nov 1, 2008 at 10:08 PM
Thanks Jerry,

I caught that yesterday and pushed a new build last night (it is still 3.0.0.3). If you get the latest beta it should work correctly now.
As far as the sorting and not remembering the play position - the 4 podcasts you download, are they from 4 different feeds, or from the same feed?
If they are from different feeds, are you showing them together in the podcast view using the "Show All in..." menu option?

Stefan
Nov 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM
Stefan:

I downloaded the new 3.0.0.3 and the setting now sticks. Thanks! As I was restarting I wanted to mention a curiosity. The spalsh screen at startup occupies the entire screen and covers the start bar at the top. Just wondering why since the application itself always shows the start bar.

The 4 podcasts are from the same feed.

Jerry
Nov 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM
First off, thanks for a great product.  I just bought a Touch Pro and installed 3.0.0.3 beta, and have the following issues/feature requests:

1) Various HTC programs appear to be placing temporary files such as "~hTC_The California Report.jpg" and "tempAlbumArt.jpg" in the podcast directories as they index the audio files.  Beyondpod sees these temporary files and apparently assumes they are podcasts, because they are in the podcast list.  Could you have BeyondPod ignore non-music or video files?  Alternatively, or perhaps in combination, these files are all marked as hidden.  Perhaps you could ignore hidden files.

2) I had been using 2.8? or something like that before.  The Podcast list in that version was only sorted by date (and not grouped by feed).  However, correct me if I'm wrong, but in this version the podcast list is sorted by feed, and then sorted by date.  This has had some unfortunate consequences for my listening habits.  I had been in the habit of just going to the podcast list and starting the most recent podcast, throwing my phone in my bag, and biking 30 minutes to work, reasonably assured that I would be listing to a playlist of new podcasts.  If I do that now, however, I end up listening to every podcast for, say, "NPR World Story of the Day," regardless of how recent it is, before moving on to any other podcast.  Now, I understand that people may like the way to podcast list is now sorted, so perhaps you don't want to revert back, but then could you add a setting that allows you to sort by received date of the podcast only.  Or better yet, a function to quickly start up a playlist with the most recently downloaded podcasts?

3) I know this has been mentioned before, and that it was said that it couldn't be done, but I'd love to use the internal player with my bluetooth headset.  Any progress on figuring out how to use the forward/backward buttons from the headset with the internal player?

4) It took me forever to configure BeyondPod the way I like it on my new phone.  Yes, OPML import/export was helpful, but I still had to set up the categories, and change the download/space saving features for each of 25 feeds.  Was there a quick import/export feature I didn't know about?  If not, this would be another great feature to add.

Thanks again for creating such a wonderfully useful product!

- Karl
Nov 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM
Karl,

If you get the latest BETA (3.0.0.4) it should ignore the hidden files. Thank you very much for pointing that out. 
The Tips and Tricks page http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Resources.htm, has information about how to turn the grouping OFF in the Podcast view and also what files do you need to copy to move a BeyondPod installation from one device to another.
As far as the Bluetooth control of the built in player - we are currently stuck until Microsoft decides to release an new version that would support it. Sorry... not much we can do about it.

Stefan
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM
Stefan,

Thanks, 3.0.0.4 fixes the hidden file problem, and I guess I should have gone digging a little more on the other 2.

- Karl
Dec 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM
Hello,

I really like BeyondPod it is quite nice to have my favorite podcast just appear on my phone without having to sync it.  However, after using BeyondPod for a few days it simply stopped working.  Now, whenever I tried to update a feed, I get the following errror message "Feed update failed!  An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found".  I've tried both the latest beta and the current stable release and I have the same issue.  I have tried just reinstalling, and also removing all of the BeyondBod settings files after the uninstall.  In all cases, I get the same error.  Also, I see the same error if I use a custom feed or one of the default NPR feeds.  I've tried installing "NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wb.cab".  I have no problem accessing the internet via other applications, and I was even able to download the new beta and the stable build from the "Help->Check for Updates" options.  So this is not a general connectivity issue.  Do you have any idea what could cause this problem?  or how I could get a more informative error message?

Thanks!
Dec 28, 2008 at 2:42 PM
The only way to find what is going on is to install the correct Messages CAB. The one you installed is for Compact framework v3.5. If you have an earlier version you will need a "NETCFv<XX>.Messages.EN.wb.cab" file that matches it version. (or you can upgrade your CF to 3.5). After you install the messages cab, restart BeyondPod and try to update again. You should get the real text of the error message.
Also, did you look at the Log file (BeyondPodLog.txt in the install folder) - it may have more information about what went wrong. My guess is that it is somehow related to the internet connectivity, but until we know what the error is I am just guessing. Have you tried to update when connected with ActiveSync or WiFi - does that make any difference?

I am curious what could be the problem so please let me know what you find.

Stefan
Dec 31, 2008 at 7:30 PM
Hi all,

I am having the same problem that Owen (sab0tage) reported on October 16. I have attempted to download files of about 58 and 68MB only to be told I don't have enough space. I have about 500MB free on my card. I was able to successfully download podcasts of <30MB. I have less than 50MB of free internal memory.

Thanks! Excellent software.

Jeff
Dec 31, 2008 at 7:34 PM
Jeff,

Try the latest BETA. It should have a fix for this issue.

Stefan
Jan 1, 2009 at 7:15 PM
It did. Thanks!
Jan 5, 2009 at 8:44 AM
hi!
first of all want to thank you for such great application!
I'm trying to load the following atom feed produced by google reader
http://www.google.com/reader/public/atom/user%2F02673241759192871586%2Flabel%2Fpodcast-svid
but beyondpod complains that feed is not correct

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:40 AM
Thanks for reporting that. While researching the issue with that feed, I also uncovered several problems with handling of Atom feeds in general. They should be resolved in the latest PUBLIC build (3.1.0.0)

You can get the latest build by going to Menu > Help > Check for Updates from within BeyondPod (or http://www.beyondpod.mobi)

Stefan
Jan 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Great app! I found something that may be a bug. First off, I have the latest version on a Samsung Omnia i910 from Verizon running WM6.1. The Omnia has built-in touch scrolling.  When I'm touch scrolling in Beyondpod, the screen jumps more than than 1 full page.  If I try to scroll back up, it jumps more than a full page again.  The only to to smoothly scroll is with the scroll bar itself.  It would be nice if the scroll function for Beyondpod was configurable with an enable/disable option. That would allow the OS or other scroll app (SPB PLUS) to manage it for all apps.
Jan 13, 2009 at 7:29 AM
yes I've tried new version with http://www.google.com/reader/public/atom/user%2F02673241759192871586%2Flabel%2Fpodcast-svid and other feeds produced by Google and everything work great! thanks a lot!
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM
I love BeyondPod, it's made my commute bearable.  Unfortunately, I've run into a small problem with it lately.

The automatic feed/podcast update has not worked for me for the last two-three releases (approx. 3.0.3-3.1.0).  I believe it stopped around the time that the "Allow use of GPRS" made it in, although I can't be certain of that any more..

Running the update manually through BeyondPod (Menu->Update and Download->All Feeds) works fine, but...
Running the update from BeyondScheduler (via Run Now) does not work.  It blanks the screen immediately, and when I unlock the screen again, BeyondPod is sitting on the screen, with "update complete" in the titlebar.  I imagine the same thing is happening with the scheduled update.

View Log says, "Last Updated: Unknown, took: 0 min."
No entries under Updated Feeds or Downloaded Podcasts.
No statistics available under "Feed Update Details", "Feed Processing Details", or "Feed Download Details".
Last line reports (in blue), "Device Network Connections: 0".

I would suspect that the screen-blank is killing the network connection (802.11), but if I flip the screen on immediately after it turns off, the wifi connection indication is still active, not in seeking mode.  I've tried running the update with "Allow use of GPRS/EDGE/3G" on and off, same results.

I'm running it on an AT&T Tilt, by the way.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:51 AM
BeyondScheduler, actually just starts BeyondPod's update feature, so if the update works in BeyondPod it should work with the scheduler. It uses 2 different ways to "talk" to BeyondPod  based  if BeyondPod is currently running. If it is not running it just strats it with a special command line parameter that triggers an update and then exit. If  BeyondPod is running, it sends it a special windows message.

One thing you can try is to delete and re-create the update task. If that does not help, BeyondScheduler creates a log file in the install folder called BeyondSchediulerLog.tx. It should have some extra information about what is going on.

Also, does the scheduler start other things (like Bluetooth) or it fails for all tasks?

Stefan
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:02 AM
mycalw,

Do you have a problem with scrolling the feeds and podcasts, or in the feed content view (the one that you see the text of the posts)? If the problem is in the feed content view, this is actually an Internet Explorer window. (This is the only window where BeyondPod has no control over the scrolling as it is all done by IE). I know that there are a couple of registry settings that control how IE scrolls.  I can't remember what are the settings, but most of the registry tweaking applications have them).

Stefan
Jan 15, 2009 at 3:31 AM
Stefan,

Sorry to ask a question, and then not respond to your suggestion.  As I said before BeyondPod was working for fine for a few days and then it stopped working.  I was getting the following error "Feed update failed!  An error message cannot be displayed because an optional resource assembly containing it cannot be found".  I could not find a message file for my version of the Microsoft CF, so I installed 3.5 and the message file from your site.  Now, I get the following message "Feed update failed!  Could not establish connection to network."  Unfortunately this is not much more descriptive :) ... I have the latest version 3.1.0 installed.  I've tried installing BeyondPod on both the sd card and the internal memory.  I have tried to update BeyondPod while connected via ActiveSync, and I have the same result.  I'm using a Palm Treo 750 running WM6.  It has a 3G connection, but no wifi.

If I look at the html update log, I see that there are no statistics available and for "Device Network Connections", It says "1", "Cellular (GPRS/EDGE/3G): 1 (AT&T)".

If I uncheck "Allow use of GPRS/EDGE/3G", it says "Feed update failed!  Unable to establish internet connection! (GPRS /Edge/3G connections are not allowed ...", so it appears that BeyondPod at least seems to know enough about my connection to realize when I disable it.

When I do an "Update and Download -> All feeds", I found the following error in BeyondPodLog.txt.  Any thoughs?  I would appreciate any help that you can provide. 

Thank you!

1/14/09 10:12:35 PM: >> Error downloading: http://www.codeplex.com/beyondpod/Project/ProjectRss.aspx?ProjectRSSFeed=codeplex://release/beyondpod. Reason: System.ObjectDisposedException: ObjectDisposedException
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeHelper(Delegate method, Boolean fSynchronous, Object[] rgobjArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.RefreshViews(Feed aFeed)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.OnFeedChanged(Feed feed)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.RssFeedUpdateManager.OnFeedChanged(Feed aFeed)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.RssFeedUpdateManager.OnFeedUpdateStarted(Feed aFeed)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.RSSFeedCatcher.OnDownloadStarted(String destination)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.DownloadAgent.Download()

1/14/09 10:12:35 PM: Fatal Exception Handler: ObjectDisposedException
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeHelper(Delegate method, Boolean fSynchronous, Object[] rgobjArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.RefreshViews(Feed aFeed)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.Objects.ViewManager.OnFeedChanged(Feed feed)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.RssFeedUpdateManager.OnFeedChanged(Feed aFeed)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.RssFeedUpdateManager.OnFeedUpdateError(Feed aFeed, Exception ex)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.RSSFeedCatcher.OnDownloadError(String destination, Exception ex)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.DownloadAgent.OnDownloadError(Exception ex)
   at svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.DownloadAgent.Download()

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:36 AM
Do you have a problem with scrolling the feeds and podcasts, or in the feed content view (the one that you see the text of the posts)? If the problem is in the feed content view, this is actually an Internet Explorer window. (This is the only window where BeyondPod has no control over the scrolling as it is all done by IE). I know that there are a couple of registry settings that control how IE scrolls.  I can't remember what are the settings, but most of the registry tweaking applications have them).

The problem is in the IE window.  I will check for a way to configure PIE scrolling.  Thank you!

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2009 at 12:44 PM
ninebilion,

My guess is that it has to do with the proxy settings on your device (and/or network). There were some other cases where feeds would occasionally fail to connect and these were traced to incorrect proxy settings (especially if they used to work). You can take a look at this post: http://www.codeplex.com/beyondpod/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=41333. I've asked Gerry to post his settings. Hopefully you are experiencing the same issue.

Stefan.
Jan 16, 2009 at 6:43 AM
Stefan,

I've got updates working again.
Deleting and recreating the scheduled tasks from BeyondScheduler did not work.
For what it's worth, the other tasks from BeyondScheduler worked normally (enabling/disabling wireless) when I was having the problem.

What seems to have done the trick was going into the General Settings menu, going to 'Set Schedule', and changing the 'Run if battery level' test to 'at least 80%' (previously it was 'any').

I don't know why that would work, but the delete/recreate wouldn't.  *shrug*

Thanks for you help!

Dave
Jan 17, 2009 at 2:16 AM
Edited Jan 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM
Stefan,

I may have found a few more opportunity.  They may be an ID10T error so feel free to correct me.  

1)  When I sync podcasts via BeyondSync, BeyondPod does not see them.  I have to browse to the files and click them in order to play them. 

2) Video podcasts - I only hear audio with the internal player. I have to use an external player to see the video and hear the audio.

3) BeyondPod crashes on m4v files.

4) Possible feature request - Searchable diretories with feed details like audio/video indicator

I have an Omnia 910 with verizon running on WM6.1
Jan 20, 2009 at 1:30 AM
mycalw,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. BeyondPod monitors only folders that are associated with feeds. Each feed, has a setting for  "Download Folder" and upon starting, BeyondPod will check for new files there. You can always create a "virtual feed" that don't have an URL but only a "Download Folder". For those feeds, BeyongPod will check for new files and will also traverse the sub directories so they will appear as sub-feeds. If you want to sync external files, just make sure you create a "virtual feed" pointing to a given directory on the device. Then sync all the external files into folders under that directory. For example I have directory called "Music" with a feed pointing to it. The content of the "Music" folder and any directory that I put inside the "Music" folder will appear in BeyondPod. (The only limitation is that you cannot mix files and folders in  the same directory, so only the "leaf" directories can have files).  There is a bit more information on how to create the virtual feeds on the resources page http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Resources.htm.

2. The built in player (which is actually an embedded Window Media Player)  is not very good at playing video, so I limited it only to audio. In previous versions you could show the video stream too but the window size was way too small for practical use.

3. It all depends on what the selected player does with the file. I think by default it will give it to the built in Windows Media Player. You can always make m4v an "unsupported" file and then BeyondPod will start whatever external player is registered for m4v. You can change the extensions considered "supported" in Tools > Settings

4. I will add the suggestion to the to-do list.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Stefan

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:15 AM
Stefan,

I'm finally able to download podcasts again!  I believe my phone had become corrupted in some serious way.  After looking at your previous post, I thought that the problem may have been due to my proxy settings.  However, no matter what I tried I could not get my phone to work without the proxy enabled (for any internet access).  I decided to start over from scratch and do a complete hard reset on my phone.  I don't have much on my phone right now, just my contacts, my calendard, and BeyondPod.   However, its downloading podcasts quite well, and I can get it to work with and without a proxy.  Therefore, I believe my problem was something seriously messed up in Windows Mobile 6 and nothing to do with BeyondPod.

Thanks for your suggests!
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:23 PM
Hi. I am a grateful user of beyondpod 3.1.0. However, I am struggling with one of my favourites: the Nature podcast as on:

http://www.nature.com/nature/podcast/rss/nature.xml

It seems to be confused by the ?feedid=360 in the tag as below
enclosure url="http://nature.edgeboss.net/download/nature/nature/podcast/v456/n7224/nature-2008-12-18.mp3?rss_feedid=360" length="14006388" type="audio/mpeg"
Beyondpod saves all these files, with filename "360" and without an extension. Therefore it won't be able to associate any player with the file.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:06 PM
kristox,

You can try to turn on "Force Unique Names" in the feed properties for that feed (Under "More Settings"). If you update the feed again, the podcasts should have unique names with mp3 extension.

Stefan
Feb 1, 2009 at 11:11 PM
stefan,

Thanks for the tip! It solved the problem in no time!

many thanks,
Kristo.
Feb 4, 2009 at 10:43 AM
Hello,

since an upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 I am unable to download any podcast:
03.02.09 21:56:44: Unable to download image for: http://www.eslpod.com/itunesimage3.jpg! Reason:Es kann keine Fehlermeldung angezeigt werden, da die optionale Ressource der Assembly, die die Fehlermeldung enthält, nicht gefunden wurde.
03.02.09 21:56:59: Fatal Exception Handler: Es kann keine Fehlermeldung angezeigt werden, da die optionale Ressource der Assembly, die die Fehlermeldung enthält, nicht gefunden wurde.
bei System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars()
bei System.IO.Path.GetFileName()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.CoreHelper.CreateFileNameFromUrl()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssEnclosure.get_FileName()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssEnclosure.get_LocalFileName()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssEnclosure.get_Downloaded()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssFeed.GetDownloadableEnclosures()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.UpdateAndDownloadManager.ProcessFeeds()
at WorkItem.doWork()
bei System.Threading.Timer.ring()

03.02.09 21:59:15: Fatal Exception Handler: Es kann keine Fehlermeldung angezeigt werden, da die optionale Ressource der Assembly, die die Fehlermeldung enthält, nicht gefunden wurde.
bei System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars()
bei System.IO.Path.GetFileName()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.CoreHelper.CreateFileNameFromUrl()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssEnclosure.get_LocalFileName()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssFeed.GetDownloadableEnclosures()
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.UpdateAndDownloadManager.ProcessFeeds()
at WorkItem.doWork()

04.02.09 11:23:20: Fatal Exception Handler: Für diese Ausnahme ist eine Fehlermeldung verfügbar, kann aber nicht angezeigt werden. Diese Meldungen sind optional und derzeit nicht auf diesem Gerät installiert. Installieren Sie "NETCFv35.Messages.DE.wm.cab" für Windows Mobile 5.0 und höher oder "NETCFv35.Messages.DE.cab" für andere Plattformen. Starten Sie die Anwendung neu, um die Meldung anzuzeigen.
bei System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)
bei System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path)
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.CoreHelper.CreateFileNameFromUrl(String Uri, Boolean forceUnique, String prefix)
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssFeed.GetDownloadableEnclosures(Int32 recentX)
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.UpdateAndDownloadManager.ProcessFeeds(Object state)
bei System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.doWork(Object o)

04.02.09 11:27:38: Fatal Exception Handler: Value does not fall within the expected range.
bei System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)
bei System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path)
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.CoreHelper.CreateFileNameFromUrl(String Uri, Boolean forceUnique, String prefix)
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.Entities.RssFeed.GetDownloadableEnclosures(Int32 recentX)
bei svs.Mobile.BeyondMedia.FeedCore.RSS.UpdateAndDownloadManager.ProcessFeeds(Object state)
bei System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.doWork(Object o)

(update feeds seems to work fine, but downloading crashes beyondpod)
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:44 AM
MrIch,

Can you please send me the URL of the feed that crashes BeyondPod. From what I can see from the log file, it appears that something in the URL of the podcast confuses BeyondPod.
Does the crash happen only on a podcasts from a particular feed or does it happen on all feeds?

Stefan
Feb 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM
In order to fix it I removed the ESL Pod (http://feeds.feedburner.com/EnglishAsASecondLanguagePodcast) this removes the first error.

I have 7 feeds in beyond pod some work, some crashes the program.

NPR Talk of the nation produces the fatal error every time:
http://www.npr.org/templates/rss/podcast/TOTNPodcast.xml?id=5
Feb 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM
MrIch,

Thank you for following up on this.

I found and fixed the issue. There is a new public build (3.1.1.0) that should hopefully work for you. (in my tests it worked with both ESL and NPR feeds).
You can get the latest build from http://www.beyondpod.mobi.  (or Menu > Help > Check for Updates from your device)

Thanks again for helping me with this issue.

Stefan.
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I seem to have a never-ending problem with NY Times podcasts. I was on vacation last week, and now most of these podcasts (Front Page, Backstory, TechTalk, Science Times), actually the feeds themselves, don't seem to be recognized as updated by BeyondPod.

I tried uninstalling the program and deleting the BeyondPod folder containing all the downloads, trackstate and other files, then reinstalling. And still when I re-imported my feeds and did an Update it still thinks, for instance, the last podcast for NYT Front Page was 2/11/09. But in Google Reader (which I'm using to import the feed info into BeyondPod) shows that every day except Sunday there's a podcast for this feed.

The example for Front page is 

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM
Gerry,

The way BeyondPod works is to get the latest feed XML from the server and then determine what are the new items (podcasts). In order to save unnecessary downloads BeyondPod actually sends a special request the should get the feed XML only if the feed was actually updated on the server. It is possible that the NYT server get confused and replay that there are no changes when there are actually changes in the feed. If you update the feed when it is shown in the content view (the HTML view) BeyoindPod will bypass that "get if changed" test and always get the latest feed XML available on the server.

One way to check if BeyondPod has the latest is to just type the feed URL in Internet Explorer - Explorer will fetch the latest feed and show it in a nice view. This way you can compare if the same posts are in both places.
(There is also a possibility that the feed may not be sorted correctly and the most recent podcasts are NOT at the top. If this is the case there is a setting called "Force Item Sort" in the feed properties that will force the feed posts to be sorted in BeyondPod)

Google reader actually has it own cache for the feed items that is independent of the original feed source. If for some reason the feed source had 2 new items and later they got removed, Google will still have them, but BeyondPod sees only what is currently in the feed source.

One last possibility is that if when BeyondPod downloads the the updated feed content, that new content for some reason has an XML formating error,  BeyondPod will show you the latest valid (locally cached) version and not the new content, If you delete the files in the RSSCache directory, this will delete the local cache for the feed (actually all feeds) and then on the next update BeypondPod will get the current (most recent) feed content.

Stefan

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM
Thanks Stephan. I hadn't updated this yet, but miraculously the errant feeds started updating yesterday. I suspect a problem on the server side as I didn't change anything in BP.

I don't think it was the last possibility, because I completely removed BP and the BP folder in Program Files to start completely anew before I sent the first email here. So it redownloaded all the feeds from scratch after that reload, and the feed content was the same as it was before the reinstall (i.e. over a week old).

Those are good notes about how BP does the updates, I'll use those to help troubleshoot in case this happens again.

Gerry
Feb 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I have a problem with updating, well actually I got 2 problems:

First, the scheduled auto update function does not work anymore. I have flashed my phone to a new ROM and have reinstalled BeyondPod, copying all the files mentioned (and some more I think, I am not 100% sure but I may have copied all the files that that have the same name as the xmls...). The phone still runs windows mobile 6.1 professional, I dont think that that was the issue. Someone has posted a similar problem a few posts earlier (David_D: "What seems to have done the trick was going into the General Settings menu, going to 'Set Schedule', and changing the 'Run if battery level' test to 'at least 80%' (previously it was 'any').") -> that didnt work as I already have it set to only DL when over 80%. Exactly the same issue, screen goes black if  I manually start the task and it doesnt download. It starts the WiFi connection though, looks like the scheduler seems to be working... I have set it to only DL when WiFi is available.

Second, if I start the "update all feeds" from the menu it appears that everything is working, it is going through every feed getting the latest update and then downlowding the podcasts. However, on some it says "nothing to download" and gives me the date of the last downloaded podcast on the main screen. I got suspicious after 4 days not having any news as the feed usually gets updated every day. When I then enter the respective feed and click on the Update link on top of the feed it does a propper update, getting all the latest news and podcasts. I tried it several times and alwyas the same story: the "update all" says nothing to DL and the Update link in the feed always works. FYI, it only seems to affect all the G4tv.com gaming podcasts, although I am not 100% sure on that as I did not check with other feeds that are not that frequently updated if the same porblem exists...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Geen

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Geenyous,

As far as scheduling - have you tried to re create the scheduled task for the feed update?  Also there is a log file in the BeyondPod folder called BeyondSchedulerLog.txt. It may  have some more information about what is going on.

About the podcast download. This appears to be an issue similar to the one a couple of posts above yours (user "Ginks" for Feb 18). His got resolved by itself as it is usually an issue with the server that serves the requests.

Stefan
Feb 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Hi Stefan

I will try to recreate the scheduled tasks and will have a look at the log file.

Regarding the other problem, it is not quite the same as Gerrys. I have tried again just now, if I update via the "Menu - Update and Download - All Feeds", some feeds do not get updated, BeyondPod tells me that there is nothing to download. If I then enter the feed and click on the "Update" link which is on the top right of every feed, it starts the update and downloads the podcasts for the very same feed BeyondPod told me that there is nothing to download. This cant be a server issue as the download works via BeyondPod but not via the "Update all feeds". I know this is a very strange problem as I would assume that the "Menu - Update and Download - All Feeds" and the "Update" in the feed should trigger the same action?

Thanks again!

Geen

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM
Geen,

I still suspect that this is a server problem If you read my response to Gerry, I explain the difference between the Update All feeds and the "Update"

... The way BeyondPod works is to get the latest feed XML from the server and then determine what are the new items (podcasts). In order to save unnecessary downloads BeyondPod actually sends a special request the should get the feed XML only if the feed was actually updated on the server. It is possible that the NYT server get confused and reply that there are no changes when there are actually changes in the feed. If you update the feed when it is shown in the content view (the HTML view) BeyoindPod will bypass that "get if changed" test and always get the latest feed XML available on the server

My guess is that this is what is happening. One thing I can do in the next build is to add a setting that would force BeyondPod to always get the latest for certain feeds.

Stefan
Mar 8, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Stefan,

That is now a very long thread. I suggest a new thread for Release 3.1.1 (e.g. I found a bug in version 3.1.1) and one per official release.

Bodo
Mar 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Sounds good. I will create one for 3.1