Feature Requests

Topics: User Forum
Apr 27, 2007 at 1:01 AM
If you would like to see something added to BeyondPod post it here
Jun 18, 2007 at 10:06 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2007 at 10:08 PM
I would like to suggest a homescreen plugin for smartphones.

Ideally, in my opinion, this plugin should show the HEADLINES for the latest RSS news items that are configured in BeyondPod. There is at least one other RSS reader for smartphones that has a homescreen plugin, but it's quite ugly and also only shows that there are new items, rather than showing the actual news items on the screen (the point of this feature request).

In my opinion, the output should be VERY minimal, with only text, configurable in size. This will maximize screen space and allow the plugin to look great on any homescreen design.

To use it, you could select individual news items from the homescreen, which would launch either BeyondPod or the direct link in the browser.

Finally, you should be able to configure the update settings (frequency) and it would be very nice to select which feeds to show on the homescreen, and even better to allow you to set the # of news items to show on the homescreen per RSS feed. It would be fine to just have one fixed RSS feed for the homescreen as well, allowing people to create their own custom RSS feed for the homepage using any of a number of available feed combiners.

Also, having a configurable notification (audio/LED/vibe/none) would be very nice.
Jul 1, 2007 at 12:31 AM

foss wrote:

Ideally, in my opinion, this plugin should show the HEADLINES for the latest RSS news items that are configured in BeyondPod. There is at least one other RSS reader for smartphones that has a homescreen plugin, but it's quite ugly and also only shows that there are new items, rather than showing the actual news items on the screen (the point of this feature request).

In my opinion, the output should be VERY minimal, with only text, configurable in size. This will maximize screen space and allow the plugin to look great on any homescreen design.

To use it, you could select individual news items from the homescreen, which would launch either BeyondPod or the direct link in the browser.

Finally, you should be able to configure the update settings (frequency) and it would be very nice to select which feeds to show on the homescreen, and even better to allow you to set the # of news items to show on the homescreen per RSS feed. It would be fine to just have one fixed RSS feed for the homescreen as well, allowing people to create their own custom RSS feed for the homepage using any of a number of available feed combiners.

Also, having a configurable notification (audio/LED/vibe/none) would be very nice.

Thank you for posting your suggestion. Home screen plugin is definitely, something that we consider. For now this is dependent on the scheduled auto update capability that is scheduled for the 2.4 release. Once we have this capability, the plugin should be a reasonable next step. Are you thinking of something like a "scrolling headlines" design that would take one or 2 lines of the home screen?

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:44 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 28, 2007 at 10:27 AM
I saw the feature suggestion about Expand/Collapse of the content view, and I would like to add something to it:

How about having checkboxes for the individual podcast items in the collapsed content view?

That way it would be much easier to navigate and download in relatively large feeds, such as http://feeds.feedburner.com/coffeebreakspanish. Now, I have to scroll all the way down, which takes about two minutes, and then starting to click on individual podcast links to get them down.
Jul 28, 2007 at 9:55 PM
I would like to echo the request for a homescreen plugin, and I think the scrolling headlines taking up 2-3 lines of the screen would be a great format to use. I have used motorola's screen3 in the past and found it to be very easy to use and simple interfact. A little more info is avaialble at http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=100
Jul 29, 2007 at 2:09 AM

hennish wrote:
I saw the feature suggestion about Expand/Collapse of the content view, and I would like to add something to it:

How about having checkboxes for the individual podcast items in the collapsed content view?

That way it would be much easier to navigate and download in relatively large feeds, such as http://feeds.feedburner.com/coffeebreakspanish. Now, I have to scroll all the way down, which takes about two minutes, and then starting to click on individual podcast links to get them down.

Hi Hennish,

Thanks for the suggestion. Expand/Collapse is in ver 2.4 (just released) so you can try it out.

If I understand correctly, your suggestion is to use the check boxes to select which podcasts to download. So the scenario is: you are reading the feed and as you read you use the check box to indicate what podcasts you want downloaded?
Currently it kind of works in a similar way - if you click on the podcast's "Download" link, it will queue it for download and you can continue reading down.
Jul 29, 2007 at 2:16 AM

jasonwpeel wrote:
I would like to echo the request for a homescreen plugin, and I think the scrolling headlines taking up 2-3 lines of the screen would be a great format to use. I have used motorola's screen3 in the past and found it to be very easy to use and simple interfact. A little more info is avaialble at http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=100

Thanks for the link. It does look interesting. I am trying to define some requirements for this feature. What would you like/expect to see in the plugin? The last XX posts of a particular feed, the last post of each feed. Anything else that comes to mind? I am trying to find what are the general expectations before going much further.
Jul 29, 2007 at 3:47 AM
Since I am new to RSS I am not sure exactly how much content stays within the readers. Is there a flag within the reader for read/unread feeds? I would really only want to see what feeds have downloaded that I have not read yet.
Jul 29, 2007 at 10:41 AM

skyntchev wrote:
If I understand correctly, your suggestion is to use the check boxes to select which podcasts to download. So the scenario is: you are reading the feed and as you read you use the check box to indicate what podcasts you want downloaded?
Currently it kind of works in a similar way - if you click on the podcast's "Download" link, it will queue it for download and you can continue reading down.

Yep. The collapse feature works great, and it saves a lot of time, but with checkboxes you could have more flexible menu options like "Mark all" or "Mark the x number of next podcasts".

Also, in the Content view, it would be great to have some kind of menu option to switch to the Podcasts/downloads view without having to scroll all the way up to the "View Local Podcasts" link.
Jul 30, 2007 at 4:51 PM

hennish wrote:

skyntchev wrote:

Yep. The collapse feature works great, and it saves a lot of time, but with checkboxes you could have more flexible menu options like "Mark all" or "Mark the x number of next podcasts".

Also, in the Content view, it would be great to have some kind of menu option to switch to the Podcasts/downloads view without having to scroll all the way up to the "View Local Podcasts" link.

I have been thinking for a while to add more options to the right menu in Feed Content. I am planning to add: "Refresh", "Stop", "Update" and "Podcasts". Anything else you think may be useful there?
Adding check boxes is doable, but unfortunately you can't control them from "outside" the browser window (from the menu for example), so the command for "Download Checked", "Select All" etc. have to be as a links in the browser view which means you still have to scroll to those links to execute.
Jul 30, 2007 at 4:54 PM

jasonwpeel wrote:
Since I am new to RSS I am not sure exactly how much content stays within the readers. Is there a flag within the reader for read/unread feeds? I would really only want to see what feeds have downloaded that I have not read yet.

The feeds that were updated and not read are marked in Bold (same as most e-mail clients). The feed has also a date to indicate when the feed was last updated (this is the date that the feed author updated it, not when it was downloaded).
Jul 30, 2007 at 10:48 PM
I have been thinking for a while to add more options to the right menu in Feed Content. I am planning to add: "Refresh", "Stop", "Update" and "Podcasts". Anything else you think may be useful there?

Adding check boxes is doable, but unfortunately you can't control them from "outside" the browser window (from the menu for example), so the command for "Download Checked", "Select All" etc. have to be as a links in the browser view which means you still have to scroll to those links to execute.

Ok, then checkboxes won't be as effective as I'd hoped.

The menu items sound great. What's the difference between "Refresh" and "Update"?

Actually, I would always like to be able to switch in one step between "Feeds", "Content", "Podcasts" and the player. Would that be possible using menu items?

Another thing: The player GUI is really great in the sense that it keeps track of how far into each podcast I've listened, and which ones I'm all through. However, since I have to use back/forward to step through my "playlist", everytime I step past a podcast, it starts playing, and it's "timer" is starting from 00:00, and I lose track of the previous info.

Keep up the nice work. I've enjoyed three or four podcasts today only through this great application, and I love it!
Aug 1, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Ok, then checkboxes won't be as effective as I'd hoped.

The menu items sound great. What's the difference between "Refresh" and "Update"?

Actually, I would always like to be able to switch in one step between "Feeds", "Content", "Podcasts" and the player. Would that be possible using menu items?

Another thing: The player GUI is really great in the sense that it keeps track of how far into each podcast I've listened, and which ones I'm all through. However, since I have to use back/forward to step through my "playlist", everytime I step past a podcast, it starts playing, and it's "timer" is starting from 00:00, and I lose track of the previous info.

Keep up the nice work. I've enjoyed three or four podcasts today only through this great application, and I love it!

The difference between Refresh and Update: Refresh: the web page in the browser view (feed content and other web pages). Update is the update of the feed (get latest RSS content)

I have been trying to find a quick and intuitive way to swath between the views - the whole navigation was changed may be 5 or 6 times in attempt to get it smoother. There are a couple of tricks that are not obvious - int Feeds and Tracks and Player view you can use left and right keys to switch between them. I am always looking for a way to improve the navigation, so if you have any suggestions let me know.

On the smart phone, you can quickly jump to podcasts in your play list by: (If you are in the player view): back key will send you to podcasts, pick a podcast, enter. On most devices, when you jump from podcast to podcast (next track/ previous track) it does not start from 0, but from wherever position was saved. This behavior is really dependent on the version of Media Player that your device has. There are several "flavors" of Media player bundled with various devices and some have this behavior some don't. What device are you using. You can see the media player version in the BeyondPod "About" dialog (make sure you have played something before, because BeyondPod does not load the media player until you try to play something)

Thank you for your continuous feedback - this really helps making BeyondPod a better product.
Sep 21, 2007 at 2:33 AM
Great work!!

One thing I would find useful would be a unified view of all the downloads across all the feeds.

This could allow for both a shuffle play mode and a play-in-this-order mode.

Could be filterable by played/not played.

If the same screen supported delete, that would be cool too.

Thank you,
-aann
Sep 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM

aann wrote:
Great work!!

One thing I would find useful would be a unified view of all the downloads across all the feeds.

This could allow for both a shuffle play mode and a play-in-this-order mode.

Could be filterable by played/not played.

If the same screen supported delete, that would be cool too.

Thank you,
-aann

Thanks! This is a good suggestion. I will convert it to a work item to be included in some of the future builds.
Sep 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Oct 15, 2007 at 5:35 PM
I use a smartphone, and I've spent enough time with different products to say that BeyondPod is the best one when you compare with others, even those of commercial products.

I am keeping the issues at this page, if anyone is interested in the comparisons: http://kasajian.wiki.zoho.com/Blackjack.html

I would like to strongly urge the BeyondPod team to consider the following enhancements. In my opinion, they are a must have have:

1. Must be able to "tag" an item such that it can be later viewed on the desktop. There are several ways to do this, but the easiest is to allow the user to e-mail themselves a link to the item.

2. Some RSS feeds (or maybe all of them) show up as having new items when they don't. I would go look see if there's something to read, and I'd notice that it's the same exact articles as before. It seems like it marks it the item bold just because it checked it.

3. Needs to work more efficiently especially when in the background. The responsiveness of the phone is very bad when things are downloading. It's so bad that I get the sense that I might be missing calls, so I turn the program off. For a WM5+ app, the user should never feel the need to shut down the app.

4. There needs to be a way to search for feeds by keyword (or category), perhaps using feedster.

Other features that would make the product a lot better:
1. Loading all the items of a particular feed as HTML when someone goes to read it is a problem. As a programmer, I understand the advantage of doing this. It's nice to set up the feed as HTML, and let the rendering engine deal with the UI. But there are huge problems with doing this in BeyondPod:
a. Once in a while, there a feed items that are very big, and that's okay. The user wants those items. However, the should only incur the overhead of it when they choose to expand it. In the current scheme, the item data is in the HTML, so it takes a real long time just to display the item list.
b. Even if the speed was acceptable, when you're reading one of these long items, and say you're 10-15 pages down, you now decide, "this is too long, i'll read it later", there's really no easy way to collapse the item. you have to scroll all the way to the top. There should be a way to collapse an item that's being read, but because it's HTML, there's really no concept of "current item focus" (unless it's a control). It's just a page.

I strongly suggest only using HTML to render the items, but not use it for item list management.

2. Newsgator (or similar type) synchronization (NGOS) would be real nice.

3. It would be nice if when you're on the desktop, and you see an RSS link you want to put in Beyondpad, you could e-mail that link to your phone, and then from the phone, read the e-mail, and somehow activate that link such that BeyondPod picks it up and adds it to the subscription lsit.

4. I want to automatically download podcasts for any feed that I add. When I import a large OPML file, I then have to go through each of the items and configure the setting. There should be a global setting for each item's property. You can do something like this.
Each item can have its own settings such as whether to download podcasts, what is the max number of podcasts.
Then you have global settings for the same values.
New items added inherit from the global settings.
When the global settings are changed, the user is given the option to propagate the changes down to all the feeds, if they desire, or not. If not, it only propagate those values that were inherited (and not overridden) in the item.

5. Switching from Feed view to Podcast view is very confusing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The "Feed" button seems like it would be okay, but a lot of times people want to press the Back button to get back to where they came from... so often I press Back when I mean to press Feeds. The reason is because that's how other apps on the smartphone work. the Back button should be used to get back to where you came from, even within the application.

Are donations taken for this project, and will such donations contribute to accelerating the implementation of any of these items?
Oct 15, 2007 at 10:02 PM
Hi kasajian,

Thank you very much for your post. All of the things you mention are excellent suggestions and actually some of them are currently under development for the next release. Unfortunately, some of the items are just (nasty) known issues and the only reason they are still there is because so far I was unable to find a good practical solution. (Actually, one that aggravates me the most is the back button in the content view - for some reason there is no good way to intercept it and make it work correctly! I have spent many, many hours trying various ways around it with no luck).

Currently the BeyondPod team is very, very small (...1 person, only a few hours a week). My limited resources, require (sometimes difficult) compromises between the "cool-ness" of a feature and how long does it take to implement and test it so I usually shoot for implementations that get the job done and take the least time.

One interesting thing I find about open source projects is that you don't find that many people that feel passionate enough to contribute, many people like to use it, some tell you when they have issues, but practically nobody is willing to spend time and help fix those issues. The whole idea of it being open source is to encourage other people to add features or fix bugs for the mutual benefit, but practically I guess only the big open source projects get there.

That being said, I will be very, very, thankful for any help - development, test, suggestions, documentation, answering posts, or even just bouncing ideas. There are so many Windows Mobile devices and networks out there that just testing it becomes a challenge. If you feel that you are willing and have time to contribute - let me know (You can contact me on my private e-mail: skyntchev at gmail.com.). As BeyondPod can attest, spending just a little time regularly does help the product moving forward and more people you have faster it moves.

Thank you again very much for your extensive and detailed post.
Nov 10, 2007 at 6:36 PM
First, I'd like to say that I've tried a lot of RSS readers for smartphone, and BeyondPod is by far the closest to getting it right (or whatever my personal definition of "right" is). However, I do have a bunch of suggestions and questions that maybe you'd consider:

1) BeyondPod now has the ability to log into Google Reader and import the feeds. What if it were able to log in to GR and sync with it it -- subscribed feeds, when updated, which read, etc.

2) I don't know whether this is a bug report of a feature request. But it seems like whenever I Update All (manual), even feeds which have no new articles are "bold" in the Feeds view. Not all of them. Some of them will show up bold with "Today" and be bold when there is no new content.

3) When in the Content view, the smartphone "back" button takes you out of the program. I wish it would take you back to the Feeds view. I keep accidentally exiting the program. I seem to have been programmed to expect that it will take me back within the program.

4) In Content view, I wish there were a way to distinguish between read and unread content, like in Google Reader. Google Reader lets you Show All or only Show Unread. That way you can easily tell what you have and haven't read yet. Also, if the default is to show only unread articles, that may decrease rendering time of Content View.

5) I'd like an option to disable the Email feature in Content View. If you never use it, it just takes up space.

6) BP seems to have problems if you have anything other than PIE as your default browser. It seems like you are using PIE to render the Content View. I think that's fine. But when I have Opera Mobile as my default browser, I get unexpected results. Basically, when I'm in Feed View, and click on a Feed, Opera launches, and I end up with a blank browser window. The title bar shows the name of the Feed, and the bottom bar shows "Go Back" and "Menu." When you are in Content View and click on an article title, when PIE is the default browser, it launches PIE, but there seems to be a hook back to BP in the form of the Go Back soft key. That's nice. But I think other browsers have to be taken into consideration. I'd sacrifice the Go Back feature to be able view articles in Opera Mobile or Opera Mini. Maybe BP can force PIE to be used to render the Content View, and then rely on the user's default browser preference to launch the appropriate browser when the user wants to view an article. Then the user can use whatever he normally uses for task management to switch back to BP.

7) I'm not sure about the integration of WMP into BP. I need to play with it more, but when I was on a previous version, I remember having issues. I'll post back. But I can say that I am using Conduits Pocket Player as my media player, and it has some good poscast features. It remembers position, has flexible seeking features, it scans your library on startup (very quickly), and podcasts are identified as such, so they're easily accessible. In other words, rather than having the overhead of integrating WMP into BP, it would be sufficient for my needs just to launch my default media player. Maybe the WMP integration could be an option.

8) It seems that in order to view your downloaded podcasts, you first have to go into the Content view of that feed. I think it would be nice if you could view your downloaded podcasts (from all feeds) from the Feeds view.

9) I'm not sure about this one. But I think I'm seeing abnormal battery drain when using BP. I'll have to test more to be sure.

Anyway, BP is the only program which even makes me consider using the (itself inadequate) mobile version of Google Reader. So I respect the work you've done. Thank you.

-Jeremy
Nov 12, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Jeremy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your suggestions. I am very glad you find BeyondPod useful.

1. About syncing with GR - downloading the feeds was the first step to check what people think about it . It actually solved the (big) problem of getting feeds in without having to type long and nasty URLs. If there is interest we can do some deeper integration.

2. You are correct about the false "bolding" I think I have a fix that should be released in the next build.

3. Ahh that Back button - I have spent many, many hours trying to get that to work. It bugs me every time. Hopefully someday somebody will find a workaround.

4. About the read and unread items. Currently BeyondPod has no support to "remember" items as "Read", but there is a way to add that capability, it all depends on the demand for that feature. So far I think you are the second person that has requested it.

5. Disabling of the e-mail feature is quite doable and I most probably can make it as a setting. You can actually remove it yourself by editing the html template BeyondPod uses to generate the HTML (it is in RSSTemplates folder, the one you want is RSSFeedItem.htm)

6. Yes.. the default browser. I have forgotten about that but, now I remeber I got bitten myself after installing Opera. I have to see why at all it tries the use the default browser and not IE. I explicitly tell it to use IE. I will look into it.

7. I think it is excellent idea to have a setting and disable WMP integration completely.

8. You are the second person to request that, this thing is easier to do than read/unread and I hope to add it in some of the next releases

9. I have not seen battery time to be affected by BP except when you download feeds or podcasts. That thing can eat it quite a bit. It will be interesting to see what your tests show.

Are you by any chance interested being a part of BeyondPod beta program. I am trying to find a small set of users that can help test and prioritize the features for the feature releases. If you re interested just send an e-mail to byondpod@gmail.com

Thank you again for taking the time to capture and post your thoughts.

Stefan.
Nov 13, 2007 at 10:35 PM
First and foremost, thank you for answering a long-standing request with such a beautiful mobile podcatcher. Secondly, please forgive any ignorant questions, I am new to WinMo, being a converted long-time PalmOS user (and now feeling very foolish about that).
A few questions and comments:
1. Importing OPML is superb; I try to export the file to the SD card weekly as a backup. Can that be automated?
2. I notice that the "Feeds" screen color-codes as well as bolds (see message above); what do those colors mean?
3. My new Samsung i760 (VZW) has WiFi, perhaps an option to only auto-update via WiFi and/or high-speed?
4. Can you suggest alternates to WMP? I used CorePlayer on the Palm and was highly disappointed; their WinMo version might be better (but might not)?
5. I would like to see the ability to edit the update schedule of each feed individually if I like. For example: NYT Tech Talk only updates weekly, while GizWiz is daily.

That's it for now. Thanks again.
Nov 15, 2007 at 2:26 AM
Edited Nov 15, 2007 at 2:27 AM

mjkaufman wrote:
First and foremost, thank you for answering a long-standing request with such a beautiful mobile podcatcher. Secondly, please forgive any ignorant questions, I am new to WinMo, being a converted long-time PalmOS user (and now feeling very foolish about that).
1. Importing OPML is superb; I try to export the file to the SD card weekly as a backup. Can that be automated?
2. I notice that the "Feeds" screen color-codes as well as bolds (see message above); what do those colors mean?
3. My new Samsung i760 (VZW) has WiFi, perhaps an option to only auto-update via WiFi and/or high-speed?
4. Can you suggest alternates to WMP? I used CorePlayer on the Palm and was highly disappointed; their WinMo version might be better (but might not)?
5. I would like to see the ability to edit the update schedule of each feed individually if I like. For example: NYT Tech Talk only updates weekly, while GizWiz is daily.

I am glad you like BeyondPod. As always any comments and suggestions we get are very appreciated.

1. Automating is quite possible, but practically, it already happens indirectly. BeyondPod stores all its feeds in an XML file called TrackStates.XML. As part of every save, BeyondPod also creates a backup of that file in case it gets corrupted. As long as you have a copy of it you can make BeyondPod load it export it to OPML. I will add it as a feature request so people can vote on it for inclusion in future versions
2. Here is what codes mean: Bold - feed has new unread content. Once you view the feed it marks the whole feed as "read" and "unbolds" it. Different backgrounds is an "experimental" feature to indicate how old is the feed. There are 3 colors for Feeds that are updated today, this week and in the last 2 weeks.
3. There is no good way to do that now, but there is an unofficial workaround that may work for you. Here is how I have my device set to update over WiFi. BeyondPod uses an external companion application called "Beyond Scheduler" to trigger the updates. You can find it in the same directory where BeyondPod is installed. BeyondScheduler lets you define a set of scheduled tasks to be executed at predetermined interval. I have mine set to something like. 6:00 AM Turn WiFi on, 6:10 Start BeyondPod Update, 6:20 Turn WiFi off. As long as you have WiFi or ActiveSync connection, BeyondPod will use that connection instead the cellular connection. One caveat is that the task for turning WiFi on/off may not work on your device. WiFi implementation apparently differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, so each one has different set of APIs to manage it. (The task does work on most of the HTC devices like T_mobile DASH).
4. For audio/video I use TCPMP (this is what CorePlayer is based on, but for some reason they cut many features that TCPMP had so I still use TCPMP). I have heard good things about the Conduit Pocket Player, but I have not used it myself.
5. When updating, BeyondPod actually does a check if a feed was updated on the server and if it has not, it does not download it, so in this
sense even if you update a feed more frequently than you have to, it does that very quickly.

Thank you again for your suggestions. If you are interested in participating in our BETA program, please send an e-mail to beyondpod@gmail.com.

Stefan
Nov 23, 2007 at 4:54 AM
How about allowing cutting and pasting of the rss link into the program?

Decent program. Took a while to get used too. I was using smartfeed ppc at first and liked it but yours is much better.

Thanks for your efforts
Nov 23, 2007 at 7:05 PM

navman911 wrote:
How about allowing cutting and pasting of the rss link into the program?

Decent program. Took a while to get used too. I was using smartfeed ppc at first and liked it but yours is much better.

Thanks for your efforts

Thanks for the suggestion. I will enable it in the next release. (BeyondPod was originally written for smartphone so some of the Pocket PC specific features have not made it in the build yet). In a mean time, you can easily add new feeds by importing them from Google Reader (Menu > Manage Feeds > Import Feeds and select "Google Reader" for the source). This way you can type or cut/paste the feed on the PC and then "pull" it from the device.

We are always looking for ways to improve BeyondPod, so I would appreciate if you share some of the issues you had when you initially started using it. What would have made it easier for you to get started?
Nov 29, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Is it possible to have a "screen saver" (actually, a battery saver) which turns the screen off after so many minutes? Of course, the audio should continue...

Thanks,

Ken
Nov 30, 2007 at 12:43 AM

klaberte wrote:
Is it possible to have a "screen saver" (actually, a battery saver) which turns the screen off after so many minutes? Of course, the audio should continue...

Thanks,

Ken

I guess you are using it on Pocket PC, because on the smartphone the screen should turn off. I am still trying to find out why the screen does not turn off completely there, but I found that on my Pocket PC I can press the power button and that turns the screen off, but the player continues to play. It is definetely on my list to do.

Stefan
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:32 PM

skyntchev wrote:

I almost exclusively listen to Podcasts on my WM phone because it supports my bluetooth stereo headphones. I can control WMP with the headphone controls (pause/play and skip) but the buttons do nothing to BeyondPod. This type of support would be great.

Thanks,
Tom
Dec 11, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Tom,

This is a BIG item on my list. I also exclusively use BeyondPod over Bluetooth and not being able to use the play pause on the remote device (Parrot MK 6000 car kit in my case) is very inconvenient. Unfortunately there is not much code available to interface with that Bluetooth profile (AVRCP as it is called). Once I find a solution I will make sure it is incorporate in BeyondPod. One workaround is to set BeyondPod to use an external player (Windows Media player supports that profile). There is a new option to set the default podcast player in ver 2.6 BETA (available here http://www.beyondpod.mobi/beta)

Stefan.

trpropst wrote:

skyntchev wrote:

I almost exclusively listen to Podcasts on my WM phone because it supports my bluetooth stereo headphones. I can control WMP with the headphone controls (pause/play and skip) but the buttons do nothing to BeyondPod. This type of support would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:55 PM
I use Beyondpod on a Sprint Treo 700wx, which has a 240 x 240 screen. Is there a skin that supports this resolution? When I attempted to delete played Podcast, the list extended below the bottom of the screen, and I was unable to tap on the yes button (at least I assume it was a yes button, since I couldn't see it).
Dec 17, 2007 at 9:37 PM

gotwebs wrote:
I use Beyondpod on a Sprint Treo 700wx, which has a 240 x 240 screen. Is there a skin that supports this resolution? When I attempted to delete played Podcast, the list extended below the bottom of the screen, and I was unable to tap on the yes button (at least I assume it was a yes button, since I couldn't see it).

There is no special skin for 240x240 at this time. I think you should be fine with using the PockePC skin.
Thanks for reporting that. This is definitely an issue and I will fix it in the next release.
Dec 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2007 at 5:53 PM

skyntchev wrote:

...One workaround is to set BeyondPod to use an external player (Windows Media player supports that profile). There is a new option to set the default podcast player in ver 2.6 BETA (available here http://www.beyondpod.mobi/beta)

The beta is great for many reasons. Unfortunately, the external player feature does not work on my smart phone (Cingular 3125 with WM5 and WMP10). I get an error that a player that supports a .pls file can not be found. Perhaps WMP10 does not support .pls (default is .asx). Does anyone else have this version to test this feature with?

Thanks,
Tom

Update:
I created a file association for .pls with WMP and found that WMP10 definitely can not read it. I can play a single podcast at a time just fine and I noticed that it is marked as played in BeyondPod when I do. This is truly a great app. Thanks!

A request - I'd like to keep the internal player as the default and be able to use a quick menu option to play an individual file through WMP when needed.
Dec 21, 2007 at 7:12 PM
Tom,

I just added a small fix that allows BeyondPod generate either ASX or PLS play list. If you get the latest beta (2.6.1.11) you can give it a try. (There is now a 4th option "Use External Player with (ASX) play list" in the Default Player selector). Hopefully that will solve your issue.

Stefan.

trpropst wrote:

skyntchev wrote:

...One workaround is to set BeyondPod to use an external player (Windows Media player supports that profile). There is a new option to set the default podcast player in ver 2.6 BETA (available here http://www.beyondpod.mobi/beta)

The beta is great for many reasons. Unfortunately, the external player feature does not work on my smart phone (Cingular 3125 with WM5 and WMP10). I get an error that a player that supports a .pls file can not be found. Perhaps WMP10 does not support .pls (default is .asx). Does anyone else have this version to test this feature with?

Thanks,
Tom

Update:
I created a file association for .pls with WMP and found that WMP10 definitely can not read it. I can play a single podcast at a time just fine and I noticed that it is marked as played in BeyondPod when I do. This is truly a great app. Thanks!

A request - I'd like to keep the internal player as the default and be able to use a quick menu option to play an individual file through WMP when needed.

Dec 22, 2007 at 6:56 PM

skyntchev wrote:

mjkaufman wrote:

I am glad you like BeyondPod. As always any comments and suggestions we get are very appreciated.

1. Automating is quite possible, but practically, it already happens indirectly. BeyondPod stores all its feeds in an XML file called TrackStates.XML. As part of every save, BeyondPod also creates a backup of that file in case it gets corrupted. As long as you have a copy of it you can make BeyondPod load it export it to OPML. I will add it as a feature request so people can vote on it for inclusion in future versions
2. Here is what codes mean: Bold - feed has new unread content. Once you view the feed it marks the whole feed as "read" and "unbolds" it. Different backgrounds is an "experimental" feature to indicate how old is the feed. There are 3 colors for Feeds that are updated today, this week and in the last 2 weeks.
3. There is no good way to do that now, but there is an unofficial workaround that may work for you. Here is how I have my device set to update over WiFi. BeyondPod uses an external companion application called "Beyond Scheduler" to trigger the updates. You can find it in the same directory where BeyondPod is installed. BeyondScheduler lets you define a set of scheduled tasks to be executed at predetermined interval. I have mine set to something like. 6:00 AM Turn WiFi on, 6:10 Start BeyondPod Update, 6:20 Turn WiFi off. As long as you have WiFi or ActiveSync connection, BeyondPod will use that connection instead the cellular connection. One caveat is that the task for turning WiFi on/off may not work on your device. WiFi implementation apparently differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, so each one has different set of APIs to manage it. (The task does work on most of the HTC devices like T_mobile DASH).
4. For audio/video I use TCPMP (this is what CorePlayer is based on, but for some reason they cut many features that TCPMP had so I still use TCPMP). I have heard good things about the Conduit Pocket Player, but I have not used it myself.
5. When updating, BeyondPod actually does a check if a feed was updated on the server and if it has not, it does not download it, so in this
sense even if you update a feed more frequently than you have to, it does that very quickly.

Thank you again for your suggestions. If you are interested in participating in our BETA program, please send an e-mail to beyondpod@gmail.com.

Stefan

I have a T-Mobile Dash with WM6 and for some reason he wifi task will not work to turn on update and then turn off. In fact if I run those tasks the wifi will fail to load until I restart. Any ideas? I looked at the code and I don't see how it gets registry key for the wifi specifically. Great App!
Dec 23, 2007 at 1:34 PM

I have a T-Mobile Dash with WM6 and for some reason he wifi task will not work to turn on update and then turn off. In fact if I run those tasks the wifi will fail to load until I restart. Any ideas? I looked at the code and I don't see how it gets registry key for the wifi specifically. Great App!

I think the problem is that your device is application locked. I found that the DASH (and most probably other devices too) need to be application unlocked for the WiFi task to work. You can read more in the Resources page http://www.codeplex.com/beyondpod/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Resources in the notes describing BeyondScheduler.
Jan 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM
Beyond Scheduler is great, because it is the only external application I've found that manages to turn my T-mobile shadow smartphone's wifi on and off. There was a note in 2.5 mentioning that if one uses beyondscheduler to turn off wifi, wifi can not be turned back on with the comm mananger. This looks to be fixed in 2.6. Does beyondscheduler have commandline options so I can invoke wifi off and on through a shortcut or an external script?

Since I have beyond scheduler running, it would seem redundant to have another scheduler program to schedule other tasks. Please add an option in beyondscheduler to add a task where an external app+parameters can be run.
Jan 16, 2008 at 5:03 PM

badbob001 wrote:
Beyond Scheduler is great, because it is the only external application I've found that manages to turn my T-mobile shadow smartphone's wifi on and off. There was a note in 2.5 mentioning that if one uses beyondscheduler to turn off wifi, wifi can not be turned back on with the comm mananger. This looks to be fixed in 2.6. Does beyondscheduler have commandline options so I can invoke wifi off and on through a shortcut or an external script?

Since I have beyond scheduler running, it would seem redundant to have another scheduler program to schedule other tasks. Please add an option in beyondscheduler to add a task where an external app+parameters can be run.

On your first question: The scheduling is actually made out of 2 separate application - BeyondScheduler.Exe - this is the main app that you run to set up the schedules and ScheuduleRunner.exe - this is a very small app that gets executed by the mobile device at specific time. When ByondScheduler schedules a task it actually tells your device (the OS) to start the ScheduleRunner at a given time with a specific command line parameter - the taskID of the task to start. You should be able to start any scheduled task by manually executing the ScheduleRunner.EXE giving it the taskID as parameter (for example "ScheduleRunner ms#task#1"). You can find the task ID in the ScheduledTasks.xml file - just look for the task based on it start time.

Adding a "Run Application" task was on our to do list initially, but as we did not need it directly for BeyondPod, it went down in priority until somebody actually requested it. Now that you made an "official" request, it should make it in the next development release (hopefully in the next week). I will post another reply here when it is available for you to try.
Jan 19, 2008 at 3:22 AM
Is this fixed for 2.6? I installed the latest CAB and it doesn't seem to behave differently. Is there a separate update for the scheduler? I tried usnig the unlock kit, but I don't think mine is locked anyways. What is the exact purpose of the unlock program? Is there another way around it?
Jan 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM

angryjim wrote:
Is this fixed for 2.6? I installed the latest CAB and it doesn't seem to behave differently. Is there a separate update for the scheduler? I tried usnig the unlock kit, but I don't think mine is locked anyways. What is the exact purpose of the unlock program? Is there another way around it?

Angryjim - I am not sure what are you asking about? Is what fixed in 2.6?
BeyondSheduler and BeyondPod are in a single package and they are updated together. BeyondScheduler has not changed in the last 3 or 4 releases
There are several ways in which your phone can be locked. Most frequently it is "Application Locked" where you can still install applications, but those applications are prevented from performing certain operations like modifying parts of the registry (for example one that I found is the section of the registry that instructs the phone to turn WiFi on/off). The unlock kit removes that restriction.
If you are interested, here is an article that explains locking on Windows Mobile Phones http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2007/05/14/what-do-you-mean-by-locked.aspx
Jan 19, 2008 at 3:39 PM

skyntchev wrote:

angryjim wrote:

Angryjim - I am not sure what are you asking about? Is what fixed in 2.6?
BeyondSheduler and BeyondPod are in a single package and they are updated together. BeyondScheduler has not changed in the last 3 or 4 releases
There are several ways in which your phone can be locked. Most frequently it is "Application Locked" where you can still install applications, but those applications are prevented from performing certain operations like modifying parts of the registry (for example one that I found is the section of the registry that instructs the phone to turn WiFi on/off). The unlock kit removes that restriction.
If you are interested, here is an article that explains locking on Windows Mobile Phones http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2007/05/14/what-do-you-mean-by-locked.aspx

I am still trying to get the wifi task to work on my Dash. Right now it doesn't. I try to change the values from 16 to 40 on the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies0001005 key and I get an error that says 'Unable to perform this operation', so I think I am doing something wrong.

Here is another link I found to help unlock the Dash:

http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Excalibur-Excalibur-MoDaCo-com/259850/Unlocking-T-Mobile-Dash/

Is anyone else able to unlock and get the wifi working on the Dash?
Jan 20, 2008 at 1:56 PM

angryjim wrote:

I am still trying to get the wifi task to work on my Dash. Right now it doesn't. I try to change the values from 16 to 40 on the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies0001005 key and I get an error that says 'Unable to perform this operation', so I think I am doing something wrong.

Here is another link I found to help unlock the Dash:

http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Excalibur-Excalibur-MoDaCo-com/259850/Unlocking-T-Mobile-Dash/

Is anyone else able to unlock and get the wifi working on the Dash?

It is works on the DASH for sure (if the DASH is unlocked). The fact that you can't change that registry value shows that yours is locked - this is how they come from T-Mobile by default. What I found (at least on the Dash) is that, contrary to the instructions that came with the in the unlock application, you have to first run the unlock application to unlock the phone and then you can change "0001005" registry value from 16 to 40.
Jan 24, 2008 at 10:28 PM

badbob001 wrote:

badbob001,

There is a new development build 2.6.2.5 that has an updated BeyondScheduler with a new "Start Application" task. Give it a try if you want.
Jan 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM

skyntchev wrote:

When I view all podcasts in a category, they are sorted fist by feed and then by podcast within that feed. This groups all podcasts for one feed at the top, then the next, etc. As a result, even though I've chosen to sort podcasts chronologically, they are not sorted this way when viewing multiple feeds. I would prefer to have the podcast sort order applied to all by default or have a choice to enable this.

Thanks,
Tom
Jan 30, 2008 at 1:41 AM

trpropst wrote:

skyntchev wrote:

When I view all podcasts in a category, they are sorted fist by feed and then by podcast within that feed. This groups all podcasts for one feed at the top, then the next, etc. As a result, even though I've chosen to sort podcasts chronologically, they are not sorted this way when viewing multiple feeds. I would prefer to have the podcast sort order applied to all by default or have a choice to enable this.

Thanks,
Tom

Yes, I was not sure what would be better grouping/sorting or just sorting. I will try to switch it to do just the sorting in the next build and we just have to see if anybody complains about the switch.

Stefan
Feb 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Yes, I was not sure what would be better grouping/sorting or just sorting. I will try to switch it to do just the sorting in the next build and we just have to see if anybody complains about the switch.

Stefan

There is a new development build that should have this fixed!
Feb 19, 2008 at 9:55 PM
The feed below offers the show in mp3, wma and wmv.

http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?ShowID=34

BeyonPod downloads the wma version. Any way to tell beyondpod to get the wmv version?

Thanks,
Ari
Feb 20, 2008 at 3:03 PM

amghw wrote:
The feed below offers the show in mp3, wma and wmv.

http://channel9.msdn.com/rss.aspx?ShowID=34

BeyonPod downloads the wma version. Any way to tell beyondpod to get the wmv version?

Thanks,
Ari

I did check this feed and unfortunately Channel9 guys decided to include only the wma format in the feed item enclosure. Each RSS item can have one (or probably multiple) enclosures (attachments) with it. The enclosures is what BeyondPod downloads. Short from parsing the content of the item trying to figure what link points to the wmv, there is no good practical way to get the correct format. If at some point they include all available formats as enclosures I could easily add a setting to pick which one to download. It is unfortunate but I can't think of any good solution at this time.

Stefan
Mar 24, 2008 at 3:38 AM
Edited Mar 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM
am new to the app and would like to quickly say thanks. it is amazing. by far the best podcast client for pocketpc hands down. so again... THANKS!

a few features I wouldnt mind seeing added:

-update feeds on startup (perhaps a delay before update to allow wifi to connect at device startup - or even detect inet connection before attempting to download/update feeds)
-start BP minimized
-system notification when (a.) feed has been updated on server (b.) feed update has finished downloading (c.) both
-play a sound when (a.) a single feed update is complete (b.) all feed updates are complete (c.) both
-auto retry failed downloads
-?ability to download Newest podcasts first?
-progress bars + more detailed download information (while updating feeds) in main windows (currently says downloading 1 of 2 etc)
-ability to change font size of listed feeds in main window (right now the font size is huge and therefor ends up overlapping download information)
-support for vga devices (app is only missing vga support w/internal player) stuck using external at present time due to problems with skins provided with internal player.

if someone already mentioned some of these I apologize. This is one awsome application. Keep up the great work.

-cope
p.s. i'm going to check out the dev build 2.6.2 and see how it goes. Running on hp ipaq 210.

one other thought... I have been unable to get anysort of browser/player combo to work on my pocketpc with mp3tunes.com (an online mp3 storage locket) However, I think your application could achieve results. The best I can achieve is the ability to download each song individually. What I'm looking for is the ability to listen via stream (without downloading each mp3 b4 listening)

Specificaly http://mp3tunes.com/m their mobile version of the online locker access is what im most interested in.
then as along as I have wifi access I could finally listen to my mp3's on my handheld! anyway just a thought.

Thanks.
-cope
Mar 24, 2008 at 3:46 AM
Edited Mar 24, 2008 at 4:36 AM
again..... amazing program!!!!!
Mar 24, 2008 at 6:37 AM
Any plans to add offline reading of RSS feeds? Many RSS news feeds only have a summary text of the main article and one has to connect online to read the main article. How about going one more level deep and caching the main article text as well?
Mar 25, 2008 at 12:36 AM

badbob001 wrote:
Any plans to add offline reading of RSS feeds? Many RSS news feeds only have a summary text of the main article and one has to connect online to read the main article. How about going one more level deep and caching the main article text as well?

Thanks badbob001. This sounds like an interesting suggestion. Actually BeyondPod already has large portion of the infrastructure needed to support that. I added your suggestion to the list of features to be considered for the next public release.
Mar 25, 2008 at 1:31 AM

copenhagen wrote:
am new to the app and would like to quickly say thanks. it is amazing. by far the best podcast client for pocketpc hands down. so again... THANKS!

a few features I wouldnt mind seeing added:

-update feeds on startup (perhaps a delay before update to allow wifi to connect at device startup - or even detect inet connection before attempting to download/update feeds)
-start BP minimized
-system notification when (a.) feed has been updated on server (b.) feed update has finished downloading (c.) both
-play a sound when (a.) a single feed update is complete (b.) all feed updates are complete (c.) both
-auto retry failed downloads
-?ability to download Newest podcasts first?
-progress bars + more detailed download information (while updating feeds) in main windows (currently says downloading 1 of 2 etc)
-ability to change font size of listed feeds in main window (right now the font size is huge and therefor ends up overlapping download information)
-support for vga devices (app is only missing vga support w/internal player) stuck using external at present time due to problems with skins provided with internal player.

if someone already mentioned some of these I apologize. This is one awsome application. Keep up the great work.

-cope
p.s. i'm going to check out the dev build 2.6.2 and see how it goes. Running on hp ipaq 210.

one other thought... I have been unable to get anysort of browser/player combo to work on my pocketpc with mp3tunes.com (an online mp3 storage locket) However, I think your application could achieve results. The best I can achieve is the ability to download each song individually. What I'm looking for is the ability to listen via stream (without downloading each mp3 b4 listening)

Specificaly http://mp3tunes.com/m their mobile version of the online locker access is what im most interested in.
then as along as I have wifi access I could finally listen to my mp3's on my handheld! anyway just a thought.

Thanks.
-cope

Cope, thank you very much for the suggestions. As far as Windows Media Player VGA skin, BeyondPod uses the standard windows media player skins. If you have the time and desire, you can create one yourself. All you have to do is to copy the files from one of the existing skins (located in the Skins directory) and adjust the size for the VGA screen (you can use the default skin file located in the Windows directory for a template). On startup BeyondPod will go over all skins in the Skins directory and pick up the new skin and let you select it in the player options.

I will take a look at http://mp3tunes.com/m and see what can be done. I have been thinking for some time to add direct streaming of the podcasts but it has not been a high priority as nobody had expressed a need for it before.

I will also research why the fonts in the VGA screen are so big. I have not done much testing on the VGA devices yet, but I guess it is time to do that.
(Too bad my old Pocket LOOX can't be upgraded to WM5).

Stefan

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:09 AM

skyntchev wrote:

badbob001 wrote:

Thanks badbob001. This sounds like an interesting suggestion. Actually BeyondPod already has large portion of the infrastructure needed to support that. I added your suggestion to the list of features to be considered for the next public release.

The only problem I see is that the RSS links may link to a page that is not mobile friendly or most importantly, has the content split into multiple pages. Luckily, some feeds have a 'print' version of the page that is simpler and has the entire content on one page. For nytimes RSS links, adding '&pagewanted=print' to the end of the url will go straight to the 'print' version. Perhaps have a field in beyondpod to append text to the RSS feed's links or if possible, support regular expression substitutions:
s/$/&pagewanted=print
I think that would append '&pagewanted=print' to the end of the line ($).
Apr 5, 2008 at 6:36 AM
Beyond pod is an amazing open source project!
It would be nice if beyond pod can add some more fetures like the following-
when updating new podcasts, Beyond should automatically clear old podcasts (or auto delete by setting).
The reason is, our handheld devices have limited storage. So everytime before updaing, I have to manually delete the old podcasts.
thanks
Apr 5, 2008 at 1:07 PM

zenith wrote:
Beyond pod is an amazing open source project!
It would be nice if beyond pod can add some more fetures like the following-
when updating new podcasts, Beyond should automatically clear old podcasts (or auto delete by setting).
The reason is, our handheld devices have limited storage. So everytime before updaing, I have to manually delete the old podcasts.
thanks

Thanks Zenith,

Have you tried the "spacesaver" feature? If you select the feed and go to the feed properties (then go to Menu->Manage Feeds->Edit Feed) scroll down and click on the "More Settings >>" link, there will be an option to to set the number of podcasts to keep. If you set this for example to 1, each podcast you download will automatically replace the one that is already on the device. Just make sure that the number of podcasts to download (3 by default) is less than the number podcasts to keep. You can set the number podcast to download on the same properties screen.
Apr 11, 2008 at 2:46 AM
"I will take a look at http://mp3tunes.com/m and see what can be done. I have been thinking for some time to add direct streaming of the podcasts but it has not been a high priority as nobody had expressed a need for it before."

This is exactly what I have been looking for FOREVER. I don't want to download podcasts, I just want to stream then efficiently, with smart caching and skip/pause. BeyondPod seems like it is just a smidge away from this, and man would I be happy.
Apr 11, 2008 at 5:57 AM

skyntchev wrote:

copenhagen wrote:
... I have been unable to get anysort of browser/player combo to work on my pocketpc with mp3tunes.com (an online mp3 storage locker)...

...I will take a look at http://mp3tunes.com/m and see what can be done....

Okay so after taking some time to view the "playlist" file that was being downloaded from mp3tunes.com, I got it figured out.

pocket ie was saving the playlist file with no extension. after viewing the files contents its VERY clear that the file should be renamed with a .m3u extension. Problem solved. All installed media software can load the file and stream from the storage locker. WICKED...

But that doesnt change my request.. if beyond pod could do it i wouldnt have to load pie to get at my music.

2.6.2 has given me no memory errors and all the enhancements are great to see. your work is appreciated.

-cope.
Apr 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM
When using an external media player, it would be helpful if once you selected an item to play the focus would move to the next item, so that once the media player is finished and exits all that would be required is press again.

currently you need to move the cursor down and then press play.
Apr 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM

anthonyyager wrote:
When using an external media player, it would be helpful if once you selected an item to play the focus would move to the next item, so that once the media player is finished and exits all that would be required is press again.

currently you need to move the cursor down and then press play.

Thanks. This is a good idea. I will add it in the next development build.
May 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM
Can you get BlueTooth AVRCP (romote control via BT controls) working for internal player? Why doesn't WMP 10 embedded have AVRCP when WMP 10 does? I like using the internal player since it keeps track of where in the Podcast you left off when you exit or go to another Podcast.
May 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM

NonPaq wrote:
Can you get BlueTooth AVRCP (romote control via BT controls) working for internal player? Why doesn't WMP 10 embedded have AVRCP when WMP 10 does? I like using the internal player since it keeps track of where in the Podcast you left off when you exit or go to another Podcast.

This is a good question, but unfortunately, Microsoft decided to not include AVRC functionality in to the embedded player. This functionality is implemented as a separate plugin that the standalone Media Player loads separately. We have been looking for a long time for a workaround but unfortunately we have no solution at this point. One thing we considered was to for BeyondPod to try to load the same plugin, but that turned out to be difficult task. We are also still looking for some other (potentially even external) player that supports AVRC and BeyondPod can somehow communicate with. If you (or anybody else) has any ideas or suggestions on how to solve that, please feel free to post them here.

Stefan
May 8, 2008 at 3:39 PM
I've been playing with a new media player called "Slide to Play" (S2P) from xda-developers site, and the developer just added BT remote capabilities. I dont know if there is any way for the two apps to communicate, and unfortunately S2P still does not support playlists, but it has potential (S2P is a very "iphone-ish" media player with finger-friendly kinetic scrolling). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=377627

There is also a developers verson of TCPMP with source code ported over to VS2008, that may help you figure out how to hook into TCPMP. Unfortunately, I believe TCPMP does not have BT remote capabilities.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=380387
May 9, 2008 at 9:21 PM

NonPaq wrote:
I've been playing with a new media player called "Slide to Play" (S2P) from xda-developers site, and the developer just added BT remote capabilities. I dont know if there is any way for the two apps to communicate, and unfortunately S2P still does not support playlists, but it has potential (S2P is a very "iphone-ish" media player with finger-friendly kinetic scrolling). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=377627

There is also a developers verson of TCPMP with source code ported over to VS2008, that may help you figure out how to hook into TCPMP. Unfortunately, I believe TCPMP does not have BT remote capabilities.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=380387

Thanks NonPaq,

I did take a look and S2P is looking very good. Unfortunately it is not an open source player so there is no good way to find out how did they do it. Bluetooth interface is tricky and painful to get right, plus it depends to a large degree on the bluetooth stack that is being used on the phone. You are also correct that TCPMP does not support AVRC (while the Core Player does) and that is really "unfair". Thanks very much for the links.
May 22, 2008 at 5:38 AM
My wishlist:

- A view that will show only new stories, and not those previously marked as "read", and not having to click on each feed to see the unread messages.
    - An option to update every X minutes.  Current option only allows for every X hours, and for some reason the Update settings won't save on my HTC Touch.
    - A way to delete all read messages so that I don't see all old headers in the feeds

This is the closest mobile Rss reader to what I want.  I love it "as is", but it would be nice for it to function like Google Reader using the "All Items" link.  All new headers are displayed, and once you scroll past them, they are marked as read and disappear.  A "header only" function would be nice, as well as extending your "collapse" option to this view would be nice also.  I really dislike the mobile version of Google Reader because it is not a stand alone updateable program, and it offers no preview of the header body.

Thx for the best reader so far!
May 22, 2008 at 1:53 PM

8pozzum wrote:
My wishlist:

- A view that will show only new stories, and not those previously marked as "read", and not having to click on each feed to see the unread messages.
    - An option to update every X minutes.  Current option only allows for every X hours, and for some reason the Update settings won't save on my HTC Touch.
    - A way to delete all read messages so that I don't see all old headers in the feeds

This is the closest mobile Rss reader to what I want.  I love it "as is", but it would be nice for it to function like Google Reader using the "All Items" link.  All new headers are displayed, and once you scroll past them, they are marked as read and disappear.  A "header only" function would be nice, as well as extending your "collapse" option to this view would be nice also.  I really dislike the mobile version of Google Reader because it is not a stand alone updateable program, and it offers no preview of the header body.

Thx for the best reader so far!

Thanks for the suggestions.
We have been thinking for a while to add a "What Is New" view similar to Google Reader's. In the next release, we are hoping to add a special type of "aggregate feeds". An aggregate feed will let you combine some (usually the first X unread posts) across all the feeds in a given category.

Removing the read items will be easy thing to do and makes a good sense. I will probably add a setting to turn that on or off in the next release.
Unfortunately the JavaScript support in Pocket IE is very, very limited and there is no good way to mark items as read as you scroll pas them at this point. (may be in Windows Mobile 7)

Stefan
May 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 4:31 PM
Feeds with Login and Passwords

I cannot get my passworded feed to work.  On RSSHub it has a place to enter the login and password.  BeyondPod doesn't.  I tried to change the feed url to http://username@password:feeddomain.com/rss as I found from my content provider.  So unless the format they gave me is wrong, I cannot us BeyondPod for this daily feed. 

***Correction the format I was told to use is:
http://username:password@feeddomain.com/rss but neither work.
    ***E-mail username example:
http://emailusername%40emaildomain.net:password@feeddomain.com/rss, (using %40 for the @)

Additional data found here:  http://manila.userland.com/passwordProtectedRss

I also noticed that the program locked up on this feed and dumped itself when I tried to use it with what it thinks is an invalid format.

I like the format of BeyondPod and have been looking for a better program for my HTC/AT&T Tilt.  This is the only thing holding me back at the moment.

Album Art

Another request:  Does this program check for new album art each day?  One of my feeds changes it periodically to relate to the day's subject.  If not, it might be worth adding to a future revison.
May 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM
This seems to be a great software. The reason I tried it was to see whether it would sync the unread count with my Google Reader. Unfortunately it doesn't. That would be my top request. It would also be very nice for it to do live integration with GR, so it I added a new feed in GR, it would automatically show up in BeyondPod. At least it would be nice if it imported all the tags from GR.

Great software otherwise!

Thanks,
Pedro
May 25, 2008 at 11:27 PM
Edited May 25, 2008 at 11:39 PM
I've been using BeyondPod after using NewsgatorGo, Egress and pRSS. I think BeyondPod is great software. In looking back at the other readers I'd used I have come up with a few suggested features which I have listed below and categorised a bit. Looking at it now it has turned into quite a long list, right now I think BeyondPod is great so please don't be put off by the length of the list I was just pointing out what would be perfection for me. I was looking down the forum and I saw some had been stated already but I hopw there is no harm in stating them again.

Red

Updates

More frequent updating of podcasts, include checking every few minutes, eg 5. This is because there is a podcast I listen to that is updated just before I leave for work and I like to listen to it on the way to work.

Option to say ‘from now’ on start point for automatic updates

Automatic sync when placed in cradle

Ability to see download que and move items up or down in the que to make some items higher or lower priority. Also pause or stop downloads (individually and overall)

Ability to mark all items in a folder / category  read/unread, played/unplayed.

Ability to prioritise or exclude particular connection, eg use cradle, use wifi, never use dialup.

Feedback on download status, like a progress bar or a clock face or percentage display (should I remove it from cradle now or wait 1 minute)

Ability to define customised ordering of podcasts, so that ones you want most can be given a higher priority for downloading to or listening to.

Some indicator of whether there is an active internet connection while checking or downloading. 

Feeds

Ability to add feeds synchronised with newsgator or google reader.

Ability to scan feeds for particular keywords (this feature is in pRSS)

Ability to mark feeds/downloads never to be deleted.

Ability to select not to store images with items.

Playlists

Ability to generate custom play lists, eg select which channels will be on a particular playlist or unplayed podcasts only (so playlist 1 , playlist 2 … etc).

Web content

Retention time for webcontent, depth of webcontent (ie how far to follow hyperlinks) to download

Cached items

Ability to review items cached, be it off line content or web content and delete it in a list fashion,  perhaps using a checkbox.

User interface

Option to modify appearance. Including, folder view for first category, alteration of text size, alteration background colour, enable clear type, enable use of channel icons on front page rather than feed icons

Indicator in a feed whether an item is played / unplayed

Ability to collapse the description of the feed. If I use a feed a lot I know what it is about.

Ability to filter list of feeds based on unread or unplayed podcast.

Ability to use touch screen to tap and hold for a context menu on items

Way to access player from the main menu

Ability to browse to web browser under options rather than enter command line

Hardkeys to open enclusures / play enclosures

Today plug in

The total number of episodes of the feed in the opening page seems redundant. If the interface was customisable I would like to be able to remove this because not all of them will be available locally anyway. I'd rather have unplayed pods identified.

Problems

Automatic updates does not stay ticked. <o:p></o:p>

May 26, 2008 at 12:40 PM

DeVeega wrote:

I cannot get my passworded feed to work.  On RSSHub it has a place to enter the login and password.  BeyondPod doesn't.  I tried to change the feed url to http://username@password:feeddomain.com/rss as I found from my content provider.  So unless the format they gave me is wrong, I cannot us BeyondPod for this daily feed. 

http://emailusername%40emaildomain.net:password@feeddomain.com/rss, (using %40 for the @)

I also noticed that the program locked up on this feed and dumped itself when I tried to use it with what it thinks is an invalid format.

I like the format of BeyondPod and have been looking for a better program for my HTC/AT&T Tilt.  This is the only thing holding me back at the moment.

Album Art

Another request:  Does this program check for new album art each day?  One of my feeds changes it periodically to relate to the day's subject.  If not, it might be worth adding to a future revison.

We just added a support for feed authentication (user name/password) to the latest development build (2.7.1.3) that will be released in the next couple of days. (We update the "Release Announcements" discussion post for each release, so if you subscribe to it, you will get an e-mail when it is released).
Thanks for the picture update suggestion. I will add it to the to do list.

Stefan
May 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM

PombeirP wrote:
This seems to be a great software. The reason I tried it was to see whether it would sync the unread count with my Google Reader. Unfortunately it doesn't. That would be my top request. It would also be very nice for it to do live integration with GR, so it I added a new feed in GR, it would automatically show up in BeyondPod. At least it would be nice if it imported all the tags from GR.

Great software otherwise!

Thanks,
Pedro

Thanks Pedro,

Yes the Google Reader integration is a bit "light"  at the moment.  We prioritze our work exclusively on the community feedback so each vote counts. Can you elaborate a bit on what do you mean to import the GR tags (your last sentence). Are you thinking of creating BeyondPod categories based on the Tags present in the GR account?

Stefan
May 26, 2008 at 12:55 PM

red wrote:
I've been using BeyondPod after using NewsgatorGo, Egress and pRSS. I think BeyondPod is great software. In looking back at the other readers I'd used I have come up with a few suggested features which I have listed below and categorised a bit. Looking at it now it has turned into quite a long list, right now I think BeyondPod is great so please don't be put off by the length of the list I was just pointing out what would be perfection for me. I was looking down the forum and I saw some had been stated already but I hopw there is no harm in stating them again.

Red

Updates

More frequent updating of podcasts, include checking every few minutes, eg 5. This is because there is a podcast I listen to that is updated just before I leave for work and I like to listen to it on the way to work.

Option to say ‘from now’ on start point for automatic updates

Automatic sync when placed in cradle

Ability to see download que and move items up or down in the que to make some items higher or lower priority. Also pause or stop downloads (individually and overall)

Ability to mark all items in a folder / category  read/unread, played/unplayed.

Ability to prioritise or exclude particular connection, eg use cradle, use wifi, never use dialup.

Feedback on download status, like a progress bar or a clock face or percentage display (should I remove it from cradle now or wait 1 minute)

Ability to define customised ordering of podcasts, so that ones you want most can be given a higher priority for downloading to or listening to.

Some indicator of whether there is an active internet connection while checking or downloading. 

Feeds

Ability to add feeds synchronised with newsgator or google reader.

Ability to scan feeds for particular keywords (this feature is in pRSS)

Ability to mark feeds/downloads never to be deleted.

Ability to select not to store images with items.

Playlists

Ability to generate custom play lists, eg select which channels will be on a particular playlist or unplayed podcasts only (so playlist 1 , playlist 2 … etc).

Web content

Retention time for webcontent, depth of webcontent (ie how far to follow hyperlinks) to download

Cached items

Ability to review items cached, be it off line content or web content and delete it in a list fashion,  perhaps using a checkbox.

User interface

Option to modify appearance. Including, folder view for first category, alteration of text size, alteration background colour, enable clear type, enable use of channel icons on front page rather than feed icons

Indicator in a feed whether an item is played / unplayed

Ability to collapse the description of the feed. If I use a feed a lot I know what it is about.

Ability to filter list of feeds based on unread or unplayed podcast.

Ability to use touch screen to tap and hold for a context menu on items

Way to access player from the main menu

Ability to browse to web browser under options rather than enter command line

Hardkeys to open enclusures / play enclosures

Today plug in

The total number of episodes of the feed in the opening page seems redundant. If the interface was customisable I would like to be able to remove this because not all of them will be available locally anyway. I'd rather have unplayed pods identified.

Problems

Automatic updates does not stay ticked. <o:p></o:p>

Thanks Red,

Excellent list of suggestions. (It just shows how much work is still ahead of us ;-). If you had to prioritize the list above, what would be your top 5 choices?  As you can probably guess we have  very, very limited development resources so we are trying to prioritize the features that are affecting the most people.

I really appreciate you taking time to post your thoughts. Such posts are very helpful when deciding on what to focus next.

Stefan
May 26, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Thanks Pedro,

Yes the Google Reader integration is a bit "light"  at the moment.  We prioritze our work exclusively on the community feedback so each vote counts. Can you elaborate a bit on what do you mean to import the GR tags (your last sentence). Are you thinking of creating BeyondPod categories based on the Tags present in the GR account?

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

That is exactly what I mean. I'm starting to use BeyondPod from scratch to keep up with my GR account, so it would be very nice if it automatically preserved the categories and the unread count.

Thanks,
Pedro

May 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM

skyntchev wrote:

DeVeega wrote:

Album Art

We just added a support for feed authentication (user name/password) to the latest development build (2.7.1.3) that will be released in the next couple of days. (We update the "Release Announcements" discussion post for each release, so if you subscribe to it, you will get an e-mail when it is released).
Thanks for the picture update suggestion. I will add it to the to do list.

Stefan

Thanks for this.
May 27, 2008 at 4:48 PM

foss wrote:

I thought this was supposed to be added to 2.4. I'm using 2.7.1 today and I either don't have it or don't know how to activate it. It wasn't an option in the settings/personal/today/ setting. I tried to manually create and enable it in the registry, but to no avail.

Pesonally I'd like it to occupy one line with the Beyond Pod RSS Icon (you should make a more identifyiable icon for Beyond Pod), then the number of unread news feeds, and the number of unlistened to podcasts. Make the program open when the icon is pressed. Open it to a filtered new news items or podcasts if that number or tag is pressed. And if it's not too much to ask, maybe a button could be placed on the far right that would force an update all feeds, but not open the program.

As I said before,  I like this product and I don't know all the in's and out's of it, so excuse me if this is already included and I just haven't figured it out yet.
May 27, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Stefan

BeyondPod is great software. The best feature for me is the ability to generate an instant playlist for all my podcasts in date order..

My personal top picks for the next update would be

1. Fixing the update function to have more frequent updates (eg every 5 minutes) and also to make the auto update feature stay selected.
2. Indicator of current download status - how much is left to download, is it actually downloading?
3. Customised ordering of podcasts for prioritisation of download 
4. The ability to define custom playlists with only some of the podcasts in or for podcasts in a particular order (could fit with download prioritisation)
5. Newsgator sychronisation (Egress does this)
6. Ability to lock podcasts for never delete.

Thanks for the great software.

Red
May 28, 2008 at 12:10 PM

DeVeega wrote:

foss wrote:

I thought this was supposed to be added to 2.4. I'm using 2.7.1 today and I either don't have it or don't know how to activate it. It wasn't an option in the settings/personal/today/ setting. I tried to manually create and enable it in the registry, but to no avail.

Pesonally I'd like it to occupy one line with the Beyond Pod RSS Icon (you should make a more identifyiable icon for Beyond Pod), then the number of unread news feeds, and the number of unlistened to podcasts. Make the program open when the icon is pressed. Open it to a filtered new news items or podcasts if that number or tag is pressed. And if it's not too much to ask, maybe a button could be placed on the far right that would force an update all feeds, but not open the program.

As I said before,  I like this product and I don't know all the in's and out's of it, so excuse me if this is already included and I just haven't figured it out yet.

Currently there is no home screen plugin for BeyondPod. It is still in the plans, but but at this time we just don't have enough resources to start the development.
Jun 3, 2008 at 12:41 PM
I have a few suggestions.

I imported 44 feeds! On 'Update and Download', BeyondPod downloads all podcasts for the feed (based on the 'Download at most' number); that's a lot of podcasts (3.5GB). I have migrated from a PC-based podcatcher, so it would have been useful to have an option of 'Don't download podcasts older than n days', with the abilty to select the number n. The Space Savers feature has the same effect, except that it appears to actually download the podcast before deleting them, using time (and data allowance when not on WiFi).

It would be good to have a gobal setting for maximum number of podcasts to download, rather than setting each feed individually. For example, I would set it as 20 so I would get a maximum 20 podcasts per feed. Each individual feed would have the option to override the global setting.

The ability to specify more than one time for updates. You could have 24 check-boxes representing 1am, 2am, 3am, etc. The user could check any number of boxes for when updates should be performed. For example, I would chose all times from 1am to 6am, plus 2pm, 3pm and 4pm because I know I have WiFi access then. Another option that would be useful is 'Only update when WiFi network is available' so it wouldn't use any data allowance if I was away for the night or afternoon.

I've been looking for a decent podcatcher (see this forum (I'm CEB)), and this software is by far the best I've tried.  Great work!

PS, sorry to end on a negative note, but this forum reply software doesn't work very well in Opera (Win XP version).
Jun 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM

ColinBowen wrote:

I imported 44 feeds! On 'Update and Download', BeyondPod downloads all podcasts for the feed (based on the 'Download at most' number); that's a lot of podcasts (3.5GB). I have migrated from a PC-based podcatcher, so it would have been useful to have an option of 'Don't download podcasts older than n days', with the abilty to select the number n. The Space Savers feature has the same effect, except that it appears to actually download the podcast before deleting them, using time (and data allowance when not on WiFi).

It would be good to have a gobal setting for maximum number of podcasts to download, rather than setting each feed individually. For example, I would set it as 20 so I would get a maximum 20 podcasts per feed. Each individual feed would have the option to override the global setting.

The ability to specify more than one time for updates. You could have 24 check-boxes representing 1am, 2am, 3am, etc. The user could check any number of boxes for when updates should be performed. For example, I would chose all times from 1am to 6am, plus 2pm, 3pm and 4pm because I know I have WiFi access then. Another option that would be useful is 'Only update when WiFi network is available' so it wouldn't use any data allowance if I was away for the night or afternoon.

I've been looking for a decent podcatcher (see this forum (I'm CEB)), and this software is by far the best I've tried.  Great work!

PS, sorry to end on a negative note, but this forum reply software doesn't work very well in Opera (Win XP version).

Welcome to the BeyondPod community. I am glad you find BeyondPod useful.

Yes, I think it is a good idea to have a global setting for the number of podcasts to download and let each feed override it if needed. I will add it to the To-Do list.

There were 2 features at one point that would let you mark all podcasts as "Already Downloaded" and the opposite - to "Forget" that they were downloaded, Unfortunately they seem to confuse some people a lot, so we had to remove them. The functionality is still there and recently we "resurrected" "Forget Downloaded" feature in the feed properties, so probably we just have to add the "Mark Downloaded" there too. (They used to be menu items before and more "in-your-face", so that may have been the problem).

If you get the latest development build (2.7.1.5 - just released this morning), it has a some enhanced scheduling features (as well as the fix for the scheduling bug) that will let you set multiple schedules  (you can create multiple BeyondPod Update Tasks that start at different times during the day. The easiest way to get the latest development build is by going to Menu->Help->Check For updates and click on the Latest Development build link.

Sorry, not much we can do about the forum - it is all written and hosted by Microsoft. To give them credit they have been very good so far to keep it stable and up to date, so probably it is just matter of time.

I really appreciate your feedback. As you are using BeyondPod please keep posting any suggestions or issues you may find.

Stefan.
Jun 3, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Thank you very much.

I can see how Already Downloaded and Forget Downloaded might cause confusion, however the help text you give under each option is usually very good.

I've installed 2.7.1.5 and set three schedule tasks for 1am, 3am and 5am (all daily).  Job done!  This is 'software as it should be', and 'software support as it should be'.  Well Done!

I didn't fully appreciate it was a Microsoft hosted BB.  Hardly suprising it doesn't work all that well on Opera.  I'm in IE now, and it's still not great.  But hey, small price to pay for such good support.

Thanks very much.

Colin.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:29 PM
I would like to have some global settings for things so I can set it once and have it apply to all podcasts (like how many to keep and stuff); as others have mentioned.

Also, I am downloading mostly podcasts that I have been listening to with the built in player. When it finishes it makes a DING sound that is very loud compared to the podcasts. I cannot find a way to make that a different sound, or a quieter sound, or even turn it off. It is loud enough on my Dell Axim x51v that I need to do something about it.

I'd also like to be able to play all unplayed content without having to navigate to the next podcast. Sort of like a playlist or something.

Thanks.

You mention looking for help.
I am not sure how much time I could add, and I currently don't have any tools for creating WM apps, do you list somewhere requirements for help and tools needed?
Jun 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM

uzziah0 wrote:
I would like to have some global settings for things so I can set it once and have it apply to all podcasts (like how many to keep and stuff); as others have mentioned.

Also, I am downloading mostly podcasts that I have been listening to with the built in player. When it finishes it makes a DING sound that is very loud compared to the podcasts. I cannot find a way to make that a different sound, or a quieter sound, or even turn it off. It is loud enough on my Dell Axim x51v that I need to do something about it.

I'd also like to be able to play all unplayed content without having to navigate to the next podcast. Sort of like a playlist or something.

Thanks.

You mention looking for help.
I am not sure how much time I could add, and I currently don't have any tools for creating WM apps, do you list somewhere requirements for help and tools needed?

Adding a global setting for the space savers is already on the "to do" list. I hope to have those done in one of the next development builds.
The DING sound is actually a system sound an theoretically you should be able to change it thru the settings, but I could not find a way to do it on any of my devices.
I can probably add a setting for that in BeyondPod.

There is an easy way to play all podcasts in a given category by selecting "Show All in <Category Name> from the menu in the podcast view. This will show all podcasts in all feeds that are in the current category and you can play them all in sequence by selecting it from there.

As far as for ways to help, a have been thinking for a while to do a special post that will list some areas where people could help.  I guess I will use this post as a starting point.

Generally based on what you find interesting you can:

1. Help by testing the latest development builds. So far I do as much testing as I can, but the product is getting bigger and doing a comprehensive test takes very long. There are some instances where some bugs are tricky to reproduce and have to be investigated in detail and on different devices.
2. We need help with answering the posts on the discussion forums.
3. For people that have interest in playing with HTML/JavaScript, there are several HTML templates that are being used to render the feed content. Those can be enhanced a bit and polished and more importantly made more "finger friendly" (Think of iPhone style page UI)
4. For people that have graphic abilities, there are set of may be 10..20 icons that need to be created to represent various commands. The ideas is to add something that will work like a toolbar so you can get to some frequent commands without using the menus. (generally long term probably the menus should go away entirely)
5. For people that have software development experience, there are plenty of code/features to be written. BeyondPod is written using C# and Microsoft .NET compact framework. The development environment is Visual Studio 2008 Professional. People with any level of experience can find a way to contribute to the code base.

Stefan
Jun 9, 2008 at 9:09 PM
I have found that some of the feeds, Beyondpod seems to reuse the enclosure name so that each download overwrites the previous one. For these I use the "Force Unique Names" option in the feed setting. It works, but the files all have a variant of the name "PC#########.mp3". This made me think of a feature request to make....

Could you add the ability to include a template for use when creating this unique filename? I'm thinking of a box to provide an alternate text instead of the "PC" in the current generated name. For instance, say I have an audio feed from XYZ radio, I could set the "Unique Filename Prefix" to 'XYZRadio-' , and this would then generate unique filenames following "XYZRadio-#########.mp3" instead of "PC##########.mp3". Perhaps even a checkbox labled "Add feed date to filename" which would add the feed date to the name, generating a possible download name like "XYZRadio-060908-##########.mp3"

Forcing a download file name to follow a template would help make the filenames understandable when scanning for media on your device using a filename based media player like Slide2Play.

Thanks
Jun 9, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Another request. Why dont you provide items to switch viewing modes from Feeds, Podcasts, Player, and Content available on all menus. I see the feft soft button provides a switch from Podcasts to Feeds and back, but the right softkey menu only adds a switch to one other view depending on where you are. For instance, Podcast view shows "Feeds' on the left, and 'View Content' in the menu, content view shows 'Feeds' on the left,  'Player' and 'Podcasts' on the right menu, and Player shows 'Feeds' on the left, and no other view on the right.

The problem is that if I accidentally hit 'Feeds' while listening to the internal player, I have to dig my way back to the player to stop of control it.
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:40 AM

NonPaq wrote:
I have found that some of the feeds, Beyondpod seems to reuse the enclosure name so that each download overwrites the previous one. For these I use the "Force Unique Names" option in the feed setting. It works, but the files all have a variant of the name "PC#########.mp3". This made me think of a feature request to make....

Could you add the ability to include a template for use when creating this unique filename? I'm thinking of a box to provide an alternate text instead of the "PC" in the current generated name. For instance, say I have an audio feed from XYZ radio, I could set the "Unique Filename Prefix" to 'XYZRadio-' , and this would then generate unique filenames following "XYZRadio-#########.mp3" instead of "PC##########.mp3". Perhaps even a checkbox labled "Add feed date to filename" which would add the feed date to the name, generating a possible download name like "XYZRadio-060908-##########.mp3"

Forcing a download file name to follow a template would help make the filenames understandable when scanning for media on your device using a filename based media player like Slide2Play.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. One thing that I can probably do is to replace the "PC" part with the song name from the ID3 tag or the feed name. This should probably automatically solve most of the naming issues. I will add it to the to-do list for the next release.

Stefan
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:52 AM

NonPaq wrote:
Another request. Why dont you provide items to switch viewing modes from Feeds, Podcasts, Player, and Content available on all menus. I see the feft soft button provides a switch from Podcasts to Feeds and back, but the right softkey menu only adds a switch to one other view depending on where you are. For instance, Podcast view shows "Feeds' on the left, and 'View Content' in the menu, content view shows 'Feeds' on the left,  'Player' and 'Podcasts' on the right menu, and Player shows 'Feeds' on the left, and no other view on the right.

The problem is that if I accidentally hit 'Feeds' while listening to the internal player, I have to dig my way back to the player to stop of control it.

Thanks,
You can actually use left and right keys to switch between the views. In the latest development that should be released sometime this week I did simplify the left/right navigation a bit so that "left" always sends you to the player (if it has something to play) and right sends you to the feed content. That being said, there is also a value to have the same functionality on the right menu of the feeds view as the use of left/right is not very obvious.

Stefan
Jun 16, 2008 at 9:13 PM
Thanks Stefan, I just saw the new beta with the unique filename modification.  I think adding the feed name should be enough to distinguish the files when accessing the files from media players like Slide2Play.

Speaking of S2P, unfortunately it still does not support playlists, however the developer (A_C) has released some info on XDA Devs about controlling it externally

How to control S2P with your app

With so many requests, here is how to control S2P through Windows Message:

Play/Pause: WM_COMMAND, 301
Next: WM_COMMAND, 302
Previous: WM_COMMAND, 303

Please note these are for advanced users only. If you want to know more, please try to google what "Windows Messaging" are.

Besides, the following registry (under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\A_C\S2P\) will tell you the current status of S2P:
Status - 0 is playing; 1 is paused
CurrentTitle - the title currently playing
CurrentAlbum - the album pic currently displaying<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I checked out the registry path he specified, and there are lots of keys  there that may provide information for tracking podcast playing. I checked to see if these registry entries could be used to force playing a particular podcast from a specific point so it could be treated as external player. I closed the player, altered the key \LastMusic\ to another filename, then restarted S2P and it loaded up the new file. (The registry only was recognized with S2P unloaded. With S2P paused in the background, I could not force a change in file.) There are two other entries I can't figure out which appear to control where in the file it should play ( LastDuration & LastPaused). You can also make it open listing the files for a particular feed by entering the path for the feed's enclosures in the registry key "LastFolder". (Useful if each feed has its own folder)

A possible problem may be that S2P takes over the full screen and remaps all the buttons, making it difficult to switch back to Beyondpod. (Click the battery icon to close the application) so I don't know if the two applications will play nice together.

Just a thought
Jun 19, 2008 at 1:47 PM

NonPaq wrote:
Thanks Stefan, I just saw the new beta with the unique filename modification.  I think adding the feed name should be enough to distinguish the files when accessing the files from media players like Slide2Play.

Speaking of S2P, unfortunately it still does not support playlists, however the developer (A_C) has released some info on XDA Devs about controlling it externally

How to control S2P with your app

With so many requests, here is how to control S2P through Windows Message:

Play/Pause: WM_COMMAND, 301
Next: WM_COMMAND, 302
Previous: WM_COMMAND, 303

Please note these are for advanced users only. If you want to know more, please try to google what "Windows Messaging" are.

Besides, the following registry (under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\A_C\S2P\) will tell you the current status of S2P:
Status - 0 is playing; 1 is paused
CurrentTitle - the title currently playing
CurrentAlbum - the album pic currently displaying<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I checked out the registry path he specified, and there are lots of keys  there that may provide information for tracking podcast playing. I checked to see if these registry entries could be used to force playing a particular podcast from a specific point so it could be treated as external player. I closed the player, altered the key \LastMusic\ to another filename, then restarted S2P and it loaded up the new file. (The registry only was recognized with S2P unloaded. With S2P paused in the background, I could not force a change in file.) There are two other entries I can't figure out which appear to control where in the file it should play ( LastDuration & LastPaused). You can also make it open listing the files for a particular feed by entering the path for the feed's enclosures in the registry key "LastFolder". (Useful if each feed has its own folder)

A possible problem may be that S2P takes over the full screen and remaps all the buttons, making it difficult to switch back to Beyondpod. (Click the battery icon to close the application) so I don't know if the two applications will play nice together.

Just a thought
This is interesting, I think thnk S2P is going in the right direction  ;-) . I will try to play a bit with it to see if it is possible to get something to work.

Stefan
Jun 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM
Hello to all,

First of all I would like to take the oportunity to thank you for the great job that you are doing. This application is the most complete one that I have seen: Yomomedia, Viigo, RSSHub, etc...

I've just would like to add a request that may not be new: the pictures inside a feed are not automatically downloaded when updating the feed, and thus can not be seen when reading the feeds offline. Is there any way that when the "update feed" command is executed, the feed content with pictures is locally stored?

Thanks a lot and keep up with the good work!

Draham

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:09 PM

draham wrote:
Hello to all,

First of all I would like to take the oportunity to thank you for the great job that you are doing. This application is the most complete one that I have seen: Yomomedia, Viigo, RSSHub, etc...

I've just would like to add a request that may not be new: the pictures inside a feed are not automatically downloaded when updating the feed, and thus can not be seen when reading the feeds offline. Is there any way that when the "update feed" command is executed, the feed content with pictures is locally stored?

Thanks a lot and keep up with the good work!

Draham

Thanks for the suggestion Draham.
Downloading images is something we wanted to do for a while but at this point we just don't have enough resources to start on it. There are several "tricky" issues that need to be resolved in order to get that to work. I am hoping that some day somebody will volunteer their development skills for that task.

Stefan
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM
First , congratulations for having the best Podcatcher ever seen. Really enjoying the program. In fact it makes the whole podcast experience more enjoyable.

Had an idea (which this thread has no shortage of) for a today screen plug for your consideration.  It would be great if there were a finger friendly control for the player (previous , skip back, play/pause, skip forward, next) on the today screen. This would allow for the player to be off screen and still have a way to control it.

Would like to play around with this myself but only have VS express and don't know a way around this hurdle.

Noticed comment above where someone mentioned a "desktop companion". Was thinking the same thing and may tackle this once finished with current project.

regards.
Aug 8, 2008 at 12:51 PM
Hi Mike,

This is a good idea, and you can do something similar today if you configure BeyondPod use Media Player as external player.  Then all podcasts will be played in Windows Media Player and you can probably find a home screen plugin that controls it. (I know some of the new 6.1 ROMs have it) You can also potentially use any external player that has a home screen plugin.

As far as contributing, any help is appreciated. BeyondPod has so many pieces that many of them can be developed even on the Express versions of VS so if you have spare time and interest, let me know and I can find something that you can help with.

Stefan.
Aug 9, 2008 at 11:44 PM
First, thank you for BeyondPod. It was actually this program that "made" me use podcasts :)

1. I would also vote for more setting made global. Personally right now I even do not intend to set anything specific for individual feeds.
2. Is it possible to show total playing length in the podcast view for all the podcast (not only for the (fully or partially) played ones)?
3. I think it would make sense to automatically mark (fully) played (or at least Played and deleted) podcasts as read.
4. I do not know how exactly to do this but it would be good to have more control over the playlist - like moving them up or down the list. The tricky part would be the newly downloaded podcasts. Where to put them? Perhaps podcasts could have a "priority" say 0-100. The new ones would get 50.
Aug 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM
Hello,

I have a suggestion for the internal player.
It would be nice to save the position of the current played podcast(s) also when terminatin beyondpod. (During runtime of beyondpod it is fine)
So that it's possible to resume the podcast, next time when beyondpod is started

The next suggestion could be a bug as well. I hope it is not at the wrong place to post it here.
For a download of a podcast it is not possible to resume when beyondpod is terminated during download. (e.g. if only 10% is downloaded and the program terminates the podcasts seems to be marked as fully downloaded. Next run of beyondpod it is not possible to resume it.)

Thanks for that nice piece of software.

Ingo
Aug 11, 2008 at 10:04 PM
drfie,

As far as making more settings global - we are almost there, the infrastructure is in place we just have to add the UI for them.
As far as the podcast length - it has to do with parsing the ID3 information from the file - we already do that for the name, but the  time seems to be very tricky and we could not read that reliably, so we rely on media player to tell us (but for that it has to open it). We are waiting for a volunteer that has some experience in the area to help us extract that information.
Marking the post as read makes a good sense and we will probably do the in the next build
Sorting the playlist is a good idea as long as we figure out how to make it work so it is intuitive. I have played with a couple ideas but so far have not found a good solution. If you come up with a good solution we can probably do it relatively easy

Stefan

Aug 11, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Hi Ingo,

We actually had that feature in previous versions but I can't remember why we turned it of.  I will take a look at both issues you mention and see if they can be fixed. Thanks for reporting that.

Stefan
Aug 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM
Hi Stefan,

the second issue with the download, was caused due to me. I have no problem anymore. sorry for this.

Ingo
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:12 AM
Hi!  This is a really great program!  thank you for your hard work!

Here are a few of my suggestions... I know there are more that I already forgot but here we go:

1) When downloading a feed, it would be nice to see the percentage downloaded on the line of the feed just like the updating percentage shows.

2) I tend to keep the phone by the side of the bed and I would really like to have an option to silence all BeyondPod alerts. For example after download is complete there is a beep.  If the BeyondScheduler is unable to download due to existing download in progress it beeps. These beeps have woken me up before.

3) Speaking of BeyondScheduler (a great feature by the way!),  I would suggest including it as a stand-alone application with task choices of starting BeyondPod and exiting BeyondPod.  Even better would be to include a "Stop Program" complement to the "Start Program" task.  I can see using that to enter and exit out of Skype at certain times of the day.

4) I noticed that with some feeds (KQED: Forum) no matter how many times I mark a podcast as Read, it keeps on coming back for a while (until it ages out). Am I doing something wrong?

5) If possible, it would also make sense to have Player Settings on Feed-by-feed basis. For example, when I get the KGO-AM810 feeds I'd like to listen to all podcast (usually less than a minute each) one after the other, but while listening to feeds with longer podcasts I'd like the player to stop after each podcast (as I might be asleep by then).

6) Maybe this already exists, but if it doesn't, it would be nice to have all my settings availabe in a single (xml?) file that I copy away.  I am looking to hard-boot my phone and reinstall everything from scratch and one of things I'm dreading is re-adding all the feeds with their individual settings.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:00 PM
I am using a http proxy that requires me to specify my user name and password (in addition to IP:port) from within the application.  Is it possible to add this functionality to BeyondPod?
Aug 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM
klaberte,

BeyondPod uses the default proxy for the connection (same one Pocket IE uses). You should be able to set your proxy server in one place for the entire device. It is in Start -> Settings -> Connections Tab, Select the Connections icon and. You can set the proxy server for each connection you have.(If you click on the "Advanced..." button there will be a place to specify the user name/ password  for the HTTP proxy.

Stefan
Aug 15, 2008 at 12:43 PM
dxburge,

1) - We can probably do that. We recently moved that information to the title bar, but you are probably right it can be also on the feed itself
2) - There were multiple complains about the "beep" on download - I already removed it for the next build.
3) - That is interesting suggestion. It definitely can be done.
4) - Can you please post the URL of that feed. I will investigate further
5) - One of the things we will probably do for some of the next builds is to update what feed settings are local and global. I will keep in mind your request as the scenario you are describing makes a lot of sense.
6) - The Resources Page http://www.codeplex.com/beyondpod/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Resources has info on what configuration files does BeyondPod use and where are they located. (it is towards the end of the page)

Thanks again,
Stefan
Aug 20, 2008 at 10:39 PM
> 5) - One of the things we will probably do for some of the next builds is to update
> what feed settings are local and global. I will keep in mind your request as the
> scenario you are describing makes a lot of sense.

Don't know if I understand something wrong, but isn't there already a separate setting for each podcast, which player to use? Anyway there is a problem with this setting: when I set this to "Default Player" so that the global setting should be used, and I change the global setting for player later, the podcasts that I set to use the default player do not reflect the new setting. I think they should, shouldn't they?

I also would like to bring up something from further up this thread: it's a pity that BP does not keep the play position of already played tracks when using the internal player so one can easily resume playing. I am currently using TCPMP as external player, so that at least the current podcast is still resumeable when I restart my device or I have to shutdown BP because I need the RAM for some other application. It would be so nice if BP would just remember which track it played how far, so I can stop one, start listening to something else and then return to the first podcast and continue.
Aug 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM
negg,

What 5) refers to (as I understand it) is the ability to set what happens after the podcast finishes playing (delete, play next etc.). This is currently set globally for all feeds. As far as the default player, there is a small bug in 2.8 where the Default Player setting is not set correctly. There is a new development build 2.9.0.2 that fixes that issue.

On the second part of your question - "... BP does not keep the play position of already played tracks when using the internal player..." did you mean the "external" player? BeyondPod does track what and how much was played for every podcast if you use the internal player. Unfortunately, unless the external player can notify BeyondPod of how far it is into playing, BP has no idea what you do in the external app (skip, stop etc.). Even if there was some way to find how much of the file was played by the external player (you can actually do that for the external Media Player), there is no way to later tell the external player later to start playing at specific position of a given file - they all want to start playing it from the beginning.
Stefan
Aug 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Dear skyntchev,
You wrote:

On the second part of your question - "... BP does not keep the play position of already played tracks when using the internal player..." did you mean the "external" player? BeyondPod does track what and how much was played for every podcast if you use the internal player.

No, I meant the internal. It loses all the play positions as soon as BP is shut down and restarted! Will try the dev release, maybe that is already fixed there, too! [...] Wow, the new list system is great, and much faster here on my nontouch smartphone too! But still: the interal player loses all play positions when I exit BP: all the tracks start from beginning. Maybe a damaged setting file or something?
Aug 22, 2008 at 9:50 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM
negg,

You have probably stumbled on a bug that I have not seen. When playing podcasts in the internal player BP should remember the positions and keep them across restarts. This functionality has been there since day one. The best way to start looking for the cause is for you to try to play a couple of files in the internal player and make sure that as you switch from file to file, that  BP tracks and displays the current position for each podcast in the player view (your screen should look something similar to the last picture on the Documentation page where the first podcast 0808233... is about a third played, and the next one is about 3/4 played). This will indicate if BP tracks the podcasts correctly on your device. Close BP, and try to open it again. If the played information is missing from the files (podcasts display without any "progress" highlighting, can you please send me 2 files - both from the beyondpod install folder on the device - one is "TrackState.xml" and the second is "BeyondPodLog.txt". You can send them both to  support at beyondpod.mobi.
I will try to figure out what is going on.

Stefan

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:20 PM
Stefan, I just saw that Paul on the "I found a bug" thread seemed to have the same problem. I sent you the files, will you notify us here when you found the bug? Can I do anything else, too? Have some knowledge about WM, but unfortunately do not program in .NET, so I can't look into the code directly. Would, if I could ;-)
negg
Aug 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM
negg,

I have not received an e-mail with the files you sent. Can you please make sure they got sent to "support@beyondpod.mobi"

Stefan
Aug 28, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Stefan, I did send them there. But don't worry, just download them here: http://www.nachbild.de/temp/internalPlayerPositionLost.zip
negg
Aug 29, 2008 at 9:45 PM
negg,

Your files helped a lot in resolving the issue. You can try the latest development BETA build  (2.9.0.3)
Give it a try and let me know if it works for you now.

Thank you very much for helping!

Stefan

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:59 PM
Stefan, its my time to say thank you: works like a charm, glad I could help!

But as this is the "Feature Request" thread let me say its hard to scroll the list with a smartphone since the new fingerfriendly list came up, because once the player was started, there is no simple "up down" key any more. "Next" and "Previous" moves the focus ok, but it also immediately starts the next/prev. track, and if you just want to scroll the list to see whats in there you have to start playing each track pressing "next next next". So an extra key to "select next/previous" would be very cool for touchless devices. Or maybe I am missing something here?

negg
Sep 2, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Sometimes I want to use Windows Media Player 10 Mobile just to play some random music, and not listen to podcasts. And most of the time it works well, with Media Player picking random tracks from my music library. But since it has also indexed my podcast collection (and added them to the music library), I sometime gets to hear a podcast instead of some music. No big problem, I just hit Forward/Next Track on my head-set. But I wonder if there is a way to avoid mixing podcasts with the music, besides explicitely creating music-only playlists.

As an ugly workaround, would it be possible to have BeyondPod save the podcasts with its own extension, like xxxxx.mp3.bp ? That way, Media Player should not index them, right? BeyondPod would then need to either remove the .bp extension before playing, or maybe it could temporarily convince Media Player to play the unknown file?
Sep 4, 2008 at 4:01 AM
I use an audio podcast feed that uses long file names. The file name is cut-off at the end in podcast view and in WMP when playing. COuld you add an option to either left or right truncate the file name by a variable number of characters in ordr to improve the file name display?
Sep 8, 2008 at 5:44 PM
negg,

I am glad it works for you now. Thanks for helping me fix it. As far as scrolling in the player view - many people map up/down in player view to volume up/down and those keys are "lost" for scrolling. One (compromise) workaround that we implemented in the latest 2.9.0.4 build is the ability to quickly switch between the podcast (where you can scroll) and player view. For devices with keyboard, there is a assignable shortcut key "numeric 8" to"flip" between them, or you cna use the menus. It is not as convenient as direct scrolling in the player view, but that approach will work regardless how are up/down keys mapped.
(If you have screen transitions enabled in the global settings, the screens will literally "flip" from one view to the other). Give it a try and let me know what you think. 2.9.0.4 can be downloaded from the BETA site.

Stefan.
Sep 8, 2008 at 5:50 PM
MiniMax,

I understand what you are saying about mixing the podcasts. I will think of a possible way around it, but probably it will be something to do with limiting where WMP searches for files.
The latest development build has a different icon for played podcast. It really does make them stand out better. Thanks for the suggestion.
You can get the latest development build from the BETA site and give it try.

Stefan

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM
munsterlander07,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will add it to the to-do list. In a mean time, one possible work around is to use Yahoo pipes and "reformat" the feed so the podcast names are in the format you want. Yahoo pipes has quite sophisticated capabilities to "massage" existing feeds by changing various feed parts and building a new feed.

Stefan

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:27 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Stefan, the new possibility to switch between "normal" views and player with a shortcut absolutely solves my problem not being able to scroll through the podcast list on a smartphone. Thanks again for a beautyful solution! negg.
Sep 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Album art?

In those feeds that includes it, how about installing a copy of the feed's image in the download folder as Folder.jpg? When a Folder.jpg file is present alongside the MP3-file, Windows Media Player will display the JPEG-file as the album art image when playing the MP3.

It works fine if I put the Folder.jpg file there manually - except that the JPEG-file is also counted as an downloaded podcast file and shows up in the podcast file list. So the Folder.jpg file should be excluded from the listing, and should not be counted.
Sep 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM
MiniMax,

This is a very good Idea. I added it to the to do list! Thanks for your suggestion.

Stefan
Oct 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM
i love beyond pod!! its just awesome!!

The only thing that would make it close to perfect would be better video playback.  If somehow the open code from TCMP could be used to play video in the integrated video player.  Maybe I dont know how to do it, but the resume from stopped feautre does not work with external players.  That is the only thing keeping from being perfect for playing back long video podcasts.

I love you guys/gals!! =)
Oct 15, 2008 at 5:23 AM
Stefan

This program just keeps getting better and better - Awesome !

Any chance of adding an option to download and cache the RSS content in each feed locally? For example, I used to use Avantgo which contained an option to download a certain number of links 'deep' from the initial page. I just find that with some feeds, only the headlines are cached locally which is fine except that I'm in the air a lot (where there isn't cell coverage) and would like to read particular stories in greater depth. Perhaps an option to download not only the headline for a particular feed but also the associated story would be beneficial.

Regardless, you have a terrific program and I for one am extremely grateful for your efforts!

Cheers,

Nathan
Oct 15, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Thanks Nathan,

Downloading the external inks is something we wanted to do for quite some time, but unfortunately it turned out to be a very tricky thing to do. We are still trying to find a good solution (that will work at least most of the time).

Stefan.
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:48 PM
Hi again Stefan,

Thanks for replying so quickly and for considering my request.

All the best,

Nathan
Oct 17, 2008 at 10:11 AM
Hi Stefan, thanks for confirming the bug I reported yesterday so quickly!

I've had a bit more time to play with BeyondPod and so far so good, it's a lot nicer to use than the RSSHub (slightly cut down version of NewsBreak) that comes with my phone. One thing that RSSHub can do is restrict how much space it uses for podcasts, say 50% of storage card space or whatever, this would be nice to have in BP. There are a few things that puzzle me in BP, under feed settings for a particular feed it has "download at most", is this the number of podcasts it will download in one session/one day per feed?

Pressing "More Settings" shows an option for podcast deletions, with one option being "Use Parent Feed Settings", I have looked through lots of menus (I expected it to be under "Feed Content Settings") but I've been unable to find where the parent feed settings are. Under "space savers" are the options related to that feed only? It would be nice to have a global settings option as I wouldn't want to keep 50 podcasts in total never mind each feed. I download a lot of the revision3 podcasts and generally they are over 100MB each.

I have some suggestions for BeyondScheduler as well (sorry). I have set my schedules to work only if the device has an 80% charge or more, as I don't want it to run down the battery if I o forget to put it on charge, this works a bit too well! I had expected my battery to have finished charging by the time it was set to turn on Wi-Fi etc when I set up my schedule, however I went to bed 2 hours later last night and it didn't run (low charge), so I suggest an option to have it run if the battery is at a certain level (as it is now), or override that option if the device is charging.

Another suggestion is to check if Wi-Fi has a connection before downloading podcasts, options to not run the update at all if Wi-Fi is not connected or update feeds but not download podcasts. While my provider says I have unlimited downloading it's actually a 1GB limit which I don't want to go over accidentally if my router isn't working correctly or I am not at home and forget to disable the schedule.

It would also be nice if BP closed itself after updating if it ran via schedule.

I hope you will take some of these into consideration for the next release. Carry on the amazing work!

Owen
Oct 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM
Owen,

Thank you for your comments.

Here are my answers to some of your questions:
 1. Download at most - refers to the number of podcast (starting from the most recent) that you want to download for a given feed. Here is a scenario: if you just subscribed to a feed that had already 200 podcasts available for download, how many do you expect to download when you do an update/download? This setting tells BeyondPod to always download the last (most recent) 3, 5, 10, 20... podcasts from the feed (unless they were not downloaded before). All settings in BeyondPod are "per feed". We currently don't restrict the number downloaded podcasts based on the total number of podcasts across all updated feeds. The same is true for "spacesavers" newly downloaded podcast can cause deletion of podcasts only for the same feed.
2. "Use Parent Setting" - this is a very good question. In older versions, you could have folders of feeds and you could set that setting at a "parent" folder and have the child feeds either "inherit" from the parent or have their own. That "sub feed" concept has mostly been deprecated (it is still supported only for the "virtual" feeds - feeds based on the content of a local folder, but even then in the later versions we don't allow changing of the sub-feed properties). I think to address this issue in the next version I will add a global setting and change "Use Parent" to be "Use Global". This is a very good find. Thanks for pointing that out.
3. About battery charging – Actually there is a code that should do that already – it will run the schedule either if the battery is above certain level OR if the device is charging. That may be an anomaly (e.g. for some reason it did not work that time), or maybe we did not detect the device was charging. There is a log file (BeyondSchedulerLog.txt) that keeps track of  when and what happened when a scheduled event occurred. If you remember when that problem occurred, you should be able to find what happened and why did the scheduled update did not run by looking that the records in the log file.
4. Checking for WiFi – this is a good idea. It is already on our to-do list. (It actually has been there for a while, waiting for enough requests to make it in the next release)
5. The logic about BP closing after scheduled update is: if BP was running before the update - BP keeps running. If BP was not running, the  Scheduler starts BP with a special flag. In this case BP runs the update and then exists at the end of the update.

Owen, thank you again for the suggestions and comments. They are very important for prioritizing the features for future releases.

Stefan

Oct 21, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Greetings

Is there a way to get BeyondPod to download podcasts *only* through activeSync?  The data plans here (South Africa) are prohibitive.  I would like to update my podcasts whenever I sync with my PC and *never* use my phones HSDPA connection. 

Thanks for a fabulous product. I am very pleased I came across it.  

Kind regards
-Bruce 
Oct 21, 2008 at 7:01 PM
Maybe thats not what you are looking for, but if you UNcheck "Allow wireless connection on my device when connected to the desktop" in the Connection Settings of ActiveSync, you can at least avoid that the mobile phone establishes a wireless connection when you tell Beyondpod to sync when the device is connected with ActiveSync.
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:42 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2008 at 8:45 PM
I disabled the update of all feeds because i often hear podcasts without connection (and do not want to have a wireless connection)
I only use WLAN for this.
Skype has an option only to connect, when a wifi-connection is established.

This would be a good idea to have an option where you can decide which connections can be used for beyondpod
Oct 23, 2008 at 2:40 PM
This is something that can be easilyl implemented. I will add it to the to-do list.

Stefan.
Oct 29, 2008 at 3:44 AM
on newer HTC phones the windows media player that comes with the phone are hardware accelerated.  Even Coreplayer chokes on some modest size files while WMP that comes with it plays rock solid.  I see that Beyondpod uses wmplib.dll on its own folder to play the embeded files.  (I haven't a clue, you guys are the programing geniouses :)    is this right?  is there a way to point beyondpod to use the builtin WMP to play the videos in the embeded player?  its just really nice to have it keep track of time. Especially in long podcast.

thanks a bunch :)

Edgar
Oct 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Edgar,

BeyondPod uses the built-in player, it is just sized so that only the transport controls are visible. In earlier versions there was a menu option to re size it so you can see the "video portion", but that feature was causing issues on some devices and we removed it.
The dll you see is just a thin wrapper that makes calls to the core Media player DLLs - we can't take credit for it ;-). 
As many things has changed since we had problems with the player resizing, I will take a look if we can bring it back in some to the next builds.

Stefan

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:02 AM
thanks stefan :)  you are always on top of things :)

Maybe im doing something wrong.  if i play file "A" on the internal player it stutters and plays at about 50% speed. but if i select external player and play it thru the built in Windows media player the same file "A" plays 100% speed and zero lag of audio.

thanks Stefan
Oct 31, 2008 at 12:14 PM
Edgar,

My guess is that the "stuttering" is a side effect of "hosting" the player in BeyondPod. As the player plays, it sends notifications to BeyondPod about the current position in the stream, BeyondPod in response captures that data and saves it to the storage from time to time. I think this communication between the player and BeyondPod is the one to blame for the stuttering when using the internal player. Apparently it becomes a problem when the device is pushed to its processor's limit as with playing video.

Stefan
Nov 10, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Stefan,

BeyondPod is awesome! I started using it about April, and the improvements with every release are striking.

Now I am using the latest beta (I think 3.0.0.4). I have 3 suggestions; I am using Windows Mobile on a smartphone, so all my experience is without touchscreen:

1) I have several podcasts where I don't necessarily listen to, based on the daily content. If I mark it as read, it is still not marked as downloaded. Then whenever I view that feed's content, there will be no unread items, but it will have a link for "Download All X New Podcasts", which I can't use, because I've already decided I didn't want one of them. I know there's a "Mark All as Downloaded" in the feed settings, but that's hard to get to when I'm skipping one podcast or another every day. To me, it makes sense to mark a feed entry as downloaded when you mark it as read. It seems like adding another option for that would become confusing - if an option were added, a global "Mark podcasts as downloaded when marked read", or something similar. At the very least, add "Mark as read and downloaded" in the content.  (I am a big fan of the feature that automatically marks it as read after it is listened to - this request would mean that I download and listen, and BeyondPod does all the bookkeeping for me).

2) I think that the usability on smartphones would be greatly increased by having the left soft-button cycle from "Feeds -> Podcasts -> Player", and letting the select button (the middle of the d-pad) be used to get to content. Right now, the left button is "Content" is when there is no unread content, so that is useless in that case. Personally, if it cycled the 3, I could get from anywhere to the player by only pressing one button sequentially, without navigating a menu (so that I could pause when my boss walks up). I typically have it set to show all in all feeds, so this progression makes sense to me.

3) My third suggestion is not thought through and checked, so I'll just through it out there rough. The right soft button menu is different based on the context - for example the menu item number for "Player" is different based on whether you're in "Feeds" or "Podcasts". It might be easier to navigate if the menus across the contexts were more aligned - maybe grey out options that aren't available in certain context. (However, I do know in "Player" the "Play/Pause", "Play Next" and all that make too many options to have in other contexts - it wouldn't be good to have all the same options in all menus if the menu is really long). Perhaps always have the most common menu options ("Player" and "Podcasts"). I recognize that the point about the menus would be less important if my request #2 were implemented.

Sorry for my long-winded comments!

Thanks,
Scott
Nov 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM
What a great program!  I just downloaded 3.0 and  really love the way the scrolling and green podcast arrow.

I had a couple of suggestions, please let me know what you think:

1.  I've tried the demo version of a couple of other RSS/Podcast feed programs and they all seem to have a count of the articles in each feed.  For example it would say 10/19 next to each feed representing 10 unread articles out of 19 total.  This would provide additional information instead of just a bolded title to show there are some unread articles in the feed.  To save screen space these numbers could be shown under the feed title and after the last updated info, possibly with a hyphen character between ( i.e.  Today - 10/19 ).  The bolded titles could still be used as they are in the the other programs I've seen.

2.  Currently when you request to download a podcast and there is no web connection you get an error message.  Could an option be added to generate a message window asking if you would like to download the podcast the next time a web connection is established?

3.  Speaking of the BeyondPod auto download tool.  Right now it only allows auto downloads when you open a feed, open BP or at a specified time.  Could a option be added to auto download the next time a web connection is established?  Also if there are new artcles found during an auto download session, could a notification be generated listing the number of new articles found during the auto download session?  If this option is currently available and just haven't found it please let me know.

4.  I was looking at the request by airborneaussie and would love to have just the first level of each article be an option.  I know you said it wasn't easily done but could it be implemented something like this.  Have a check box at the feed level where, at each update, the feed would download the main article associated with each unread headline only and save the html into the same directory it would normally save a podcast for that feed.  Then if a headline is clicked, BP would try to get the latest article from the web.  If a web connection was not available it would check the feed's podcast folder for the article.  If no article existed there it would generate a message box that the article is not available locally and no web connection was detected.

Again thank you for creating such a cool program,
Chris
Dec 1, 2008 at 1:27 PM
Scott, Chris,

Thank you for the comprehensive list of suggestions,

Scott,
1. Marking the Podcast as downloaded when marked as read is something other people have suggested too and it is on the ToDo list. (It is now with higher priority ;-)
2. I have played with Left/Right keys before, but the problem was that that navigation breaks once you get into the Feed Content view (as the left key moves the focus there) and in the Player view (where the left key by default is set to skip back). I initially wanted to provide an uniform navigation pattern across all views so I limited the navigation to what works everywhere. I may just add left/right keys in addition to what is already there. Currently the "8" key toggles between player and podcasts view and right key on the feeds view jumps to the player, and I can probably make the navigation from Categories <-> Feeds <-> Player (Podcasts) using the left and right keys.
3. Yes I recognize that the navigation can be a bit awkward at times. I changed the menu arrangement several times and what is in so far appears to be the most optimal for the current functionality. Hopefully 2. above will make it easier to navigate.

Chris,
1. Adding the number of read/unread articles is something that can be done. I will add it to the to-do list. I personally don't think that those numbers to provide lots of useful information for the amount of screen clutter they add, but if other people think that they are important I can add them in some of the next versions.
2. I understand what you want to achieve, but technically this can be a bit of a challenge. I have to do some research to see what can be done.
3. If you are on the feeds view and select Menu -> Update and Download -> View Update Log, BeyondPod will show you a all the feeds that were updated and podcasts that were downloaded during the last update.
4. Downloading to articles themselves has been requested many times, It is high in the priority list. The way you describe it working is probably how we approach it. At this moment it is just a matter of finding time to fit it in the development schedule.

Stefan

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:26 AM
Can you filter only those podcast files that are set for playing? In the Player Settings, you specify the Supported File Types. The count of podcast files should only be those files with the supported file types. And only those files should be displayed for playing. This is similar to a previous request to filter out the .jpg files that come with album art. On my smartphone, I use the HTC Audio Player and it scans all files and when it sees a podcast, it adds the html link to the podcast in the podcast folder. BeyondPod sees this and counts it as a podcast. When the player shows the files, it tries to navigate to the link and gets confused.

Thanks, and excellent work. Many thumbs up. 
Dec 3, 2008 at 8:06 PM
I would also like to add a vote for SkierHiker's suggestion to filter the podcast list to those that are playable.  A couple of my feeds get cluttered with a bunch of graphics, and all I want to see are the audio files.
Dec 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM
SkierHiker, bradvoy

Make sure you use the latest beta. In one of the recent beta releases, there was a fix that hides the "hidden" files (those are the images that  are created by some players when the encounter a media file). If you still see "unwanted" files, there is a way to hide the unsupported files but unfortunately currently there is no UI for it. To hide the unsupported files for now, you have to manually modify the settings.xml file that is located in BeyondPod's install folder.
Close BeyondPod, copy Settings.xml file to your PC, open it in Notepad, find the following text:

<add key="ShowUnsupportedFileTypes" value="1" />

Set value="1" to value="0"and save it.  Copy the file back to the device and start BeyondPod. This should limit BeyondPod to show only the file extensions that are listed in the "Supported Files Types".

In earlier versions of BeyondPod there was a UI setting to do that, but it got removed to simplify the settings screens. Until now nobody had complained about it so ti will probably be back in the next Beta.

Stefan

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Stefan,

I download many large podcasts (50 Mb or so). Due to network or other issues, the downloads sometimes do not complete, so I end up with incomplete or corupt MP3 files. Can incomplete downloads be handled one of these ways (in order of preference)?

1 (ideal): Restart where they left off.

2: Delete incomplete downloads and automatically start the download over.

3: Manually delete and flag for re-download.

Thanks again for a great product.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:22 AM
BeyondPod does resume the downloads if they stop in the middle. This should work in both cases: when you manually resume the download in the podcast view or during the next "update and download" cycle for the feed. One thing to keep in mind is that "resume" functionality has to be supported by the server so if it does not work for a given feed it may be problem with the site serving the podcast. To try it out, you can manually download a single podcast and stop it in the middle using Menu > Stop Download in the podcast view. If later you select the podcast and do Menu > Resume Download, it should resume from where it stopped.

Stefan
Dec 9, 2008 at 11:24 PM
Feature request: Ability to cache webpages as well as podcasts.

Great software keep up the fantastic work.

Red
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM
I downloaded the latest beta today, and it has solved the problem of graphics cluttering my podcast list.  Thanks!
Dec 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM
Is there a way to display only the podcasts that have new content?  I may be missing something obvious, but a setting to "show all feeds/show updated feeds only" would be deeply appreciated.  I listen to my podcasts in the car and having to flick through screens of podcasts which have no new content is, well, unnecessary.  

BeyondPod is by far the application that I use the most on my mobile phone.  Thanks so much for an excellent product. 

Kind regards
-Bruce
Dec 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM
Bruce,

Thank you for the suggestion.
One thing you can do is to sort your feeds "By Date" so that the newest feeds are on top of the list. This way all  feeds that updated and have new content will appear together at the top of the Feeds View. You change the default feed sort order:  Tools > Settings > General Settings.

Stefan
Feb 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Here's one more (huge) vote for Google Reader syncing.  To me this is the killer feature as I've been using Google Reader for a couple of years now but despise their mobile version (which is really just a mobile-optimized view browser view of the data).  There are a couple of RSS readers that sync with newsgator, which has a similar online account structure as Google Reader and Bloglines, so I'm looking at these.  But as soon as a mobile reader comes out that can sync with Google Reader, I'll buy it (or donate money as in your case).  Thanks for listening :)

Levi
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM
When you view all the pod casts it displays them grouped by feed by date.
Is it possible to sort the just by date and NOT grouped by feed.
What I have found is that I might be halfway through a podcast, I delete the played pod casts and then next time I go to play it puts a different feed at the top, I then have to either find the half played one or listen to others then jump in half way
Also most pods casts have intro music, and when you listen to a few at a time it gets repettive, if the pod casts sorted on date alone, different feeds would play after each other and have variety.

Thanks for a great product
Feb 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Anthony,

The latest public build (3.1.0.0) already has this capability. It is on the Podcasts View -   the menu has "Group by feed" option that toggles grouping by feed. It is enabled when you show all podcasts in the category (e.g. "Show all in <Category name>" is selected)
Feb 3, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Levi,

Google reader syncing is something very high on the to-do list. We are finishing the BeyondPod Android port at the moment. Once this is done, and Google reader syncing will be one of the first features that will be pushed across both (Windows Mobile and Android) platforms.

Stefan
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM
Thanks, Stefan, that's great news!  Is there any kind of even rough timeline for when these things will be completed that you can share with us?
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, I downloaded the 3.1 and it is spot on.
Thanks
Anthony
Feb 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM
Levi,

My best guess at this point is that Google reader sync can be implemented in the next couple of months.
One thing that we are trying to figure out is what people expect from the synchronization and how exactly it should work in together with the rest BeyondPod. My current thoughts is to add an option "sync with Google Reader" to the properties of the feed. Feeds that are marked as "Sync with Reader" will also synchronize the "Read/Unread" items for that feed with Google during the feed update.  We will probably leave the importing of feeds from Google Reader the same way they are currently implemented, except that all feeds that were imported from Google will have the "Sync with Reader" turned on by default.

Is this what you have in mind. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions from anyone that is interested in that functionality

Stefan
Feb 4, 2009 at 1:04 PM
I Stefan, thanks for the update.  The way you outlined it, it seems very reasonable.  I'm not familiar with Google Reader's API and what is and isn't available to you.  My only question might be how you would handle feeds that have older articles in them.  IE, there are some feeds that I might not have read in a little while, so they have more than the number that is normally displayed for that feed.  Those older articles don't show up when you retrieve the feed for the first time, but Google holds onto those articles, as I think Beyondpod does as well.  Would those articles dissapear because they aren't in the actual feed, or could you retrieve their contents from Google?  I'm guessing that you can only retrieve the actual articles from the feed itself, but maybe I'm wrong?

You also didn't mention a couple of key features with Google Reader that I think would be optimal to implement if possible in the first phase.  Starring an article is a way that I use to tag an article for later reading.  If this could be done, it would be nice because there are some articles that I want to come back to but would have to leave as unread in beyondpod if I couldn't tag them in this kind of way.  In conjunction with this, if there is a way to a sync with the "starred items" feed that Google provides and actually be able to unstar items from it as well, that would be great. 

There are other items like tags and notes and such, but while those would be nice to have, the don't seem as integral as the starring, and heck, even the starring I could live without if I had to, since the main idea is simply to have a nicer mobile interface to Google Reader that would allow for some basic synchronization with one's account...

Levi
Feb 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM
Levi,

Thank you very much for the description. This is exactly the type of information I need.

If you are interested, there is a new application for the Android platform called News Rob (http://newsrob.com/). While you can't probably try it out, it has enough screen shots so you can get an idea of what it does and how it works. I am curious what do you think about it. Is this kind of functionality that you expect from Google sync? (By no means I am saying the we will copy what is there, I just want to have a good idea for what people expect. Making Google Sync work right is not a trivial task and with our limited resources we don't have many chances to get it right - especially as now we have to support both Android and Windows Mobile platforms).

Thank you very much for helping.

Stefan
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM
Hi Stefan,

I read through that page about the app and it looks basically like what I would expect.  About the only thing I didn't see was some higher-level view - ie one that shows the GR folders and then under that the individual feeds.  They seem only to show you views that have article lists.  Other than that, it looks pretty reasonable. 

I can certainly understand how this might be a challenging feature to implement.  As far as WM vs. Android, I'm guessing you will probably have parallel development efforts and can proabably if not use the same code, then at least similar architecture for the two platforms.  If not, just remember that at least on Android there is a smaller base of users and there is already an app out there that does this, whereas for WM yours would be the only one.

If I can do anything else to help (testing, etc.), please let me know.  I actually do some .net coding (c#), but I'm knowledge level unfortunately is still pretty basic...

Levi
May 11, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I really like te program (I have been using it in a non-touch screen device, and I think the UI is very good), and I really like it imports from Google Reader. However, being a GReader user, I would love to see integration between these two (I mean, keep the same read/unread items, starred items, categories). I am no programmer, so I am not sure if this is possible or not, but I think it would be great. I see there are several requests on this sense, so there it goes my vote :)

May 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM
Edited May 19, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Hi Stefan, I'd also like to echo the many comments of appreciation for a fantastic program!

I have a couple of suggestions for you to consider if possible:-

1: Add a button mapping to Turn Screen Off (or Toggle Screen) in the player - WMP has Toggle Screen as a function that can be assigned, and BP has option to Turn Screen Off in the Right-menu..

2: Add the ability to Play/Pause (and perhaps other functions?) using microphone button on HTC wired headset (similar to functionality offered at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=502881 for manila audio manager).

Thanks again,

Matt.

May 21, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Had tried a previous version of BeyondPod and uninstalled it due to some issues, but recently installed the latest and am very, very impressed.  This is by far the best podcatcher out there and has now replaced PocketRSS on my device!

That being said, here are some comments after using BeyondPod for some time:

1 - When setting up a new feed or editing an existing feed, whenever text input is required, the SIP covers up part of the screen.  When the SIP is active, can the active window be adjusted so that its contents remain visible above the SIP area?

2 - When the feed URL is entered, can BeyondPod automatically retrieve and fill-in the feed name?  PocketRSS had this functionality and it was helpful when adding new feeds.

3 - Could the Update Log be viewed internally to BeyondPod without requiring it to be opened in the default browser?  Otherwise, it takes too long to open what should be just a simple text file.  Also, it would be nice to have access to the history of the last X (say 5 or user-configurable) updates for review, otherwise the latest update overwrites it.

4 - While various number-pad shortcuts are available to make it easier to navigate the Feed Content, what about the Dpad?  It seems natural to use the D-pad to move left/right and navigate to the previous/next feed without having to tap the on-screen control.

5 - In the Assign Buttons screen, where you can re-map the player controls, even though the Short and Long skip intervals are now user selectable, the Actions still are labeled Skip 5s. Forward/Back and Skip 30s. Forward/Back.  These should probably be changed to Short Skip Forward/Back and Long Skip Forward/Back.

6 - In the Player, the D-pad adjusts the volume differently than the onscreen buttons do.  With the d-pad, Up increases the volume 9% while Down decreases it by 11%.  With the onscreen buttons, up/down adjusts the volume in 5% increments.  This is using both the VGA skin and the default player skin.

Thanks for a great piece of software and I'll be sure to make a donation soon to help support this project!

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Love the Windows Mobile version.  Now that I've moved on to a Palm Pre though, I sure hope you guys have a WebOS version in the works.  Would happily pay for it.  Default music player they gave us is miserable for playing podcasts, and there currently is no app whatsoever for subscribing to podcasts or downloading them over the air. 

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Heheh, I'm another person who just moved from WM to the Palm Pre.  Would love to have this app on the Pre.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I have a few podcasts that do not provide MP3 tags in their downloads. I was thinking of adding a feature where the MP3 tags could be populated by the name in the feed along with the album and artist from the feed name. I might download the source and see if I can add it myself, but maybe this is a future feature already?

What do you think?

Brent

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I agree. On my PC I use the ZiePod+ podcatcher and one of the features I love is the ability to write/overwrite the ID/ID3 MP3 tags. Many of the podcasts I listen to are not very diligent at maintaining the title, album or artist tags. I would love to have BeyondPod allow me to rewrite the ID/ID3 tags once the MP3 has been downloaded.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Hello,

Here are some additional requests:

1) Ability to adjust "speed" in Media Player. Media Player on the Windows desktop (XP, Vista, etc) has this option. It's not in the menus for Media Player on mobile, so I don't know if support is built in for WM. CorePlayer on mobile has a speed setting, though. Media Player for desktop can speed up playback without affecting the pitch (no chipmunk effect). Coreplayer on mobile does affect the pitch (chimpmunks it), but that's okay with me. It's still better than listening to some people lecture at 100% speed. :) If there is a way to speed up playback during playback (using a menu) or perhaps even default it to something per feed, that'd be great.

2) A Media Player skin with a bigger position/shuttle control. It's very small and hard to hit in order to quickly move to a different spot in a file without repeatedly hitting FF or REW buttons for 10 second increments.

3) I just started using categories to listen to podcasts.

4) Please reintroduce inherited feed settings. I'd like to be able to adjust the number of podcasts to download at once across all my feeds (20+ of them) without editing each one individually. It doesn't necessarily need to be multi-tier, but having some additional settings use global defaults with the option to override per feed would be great.

5) When listening to a list of podcasts, it will start playing previously listened to postcads over again, effectively reseting its 'played' status. It would be nice if it would skip over "played" podcasts when moving to the next podcast. I don't have it automatically delete a podcast after listening to it. I listen while driving, and sometimes there are podcasts I want to keep to play for someone else or listen to again. So only after listening to a bunch do I do a "delete played podcasts" when I know I don't want to keep any.  But if I listen to a podcast (played=true), change categories, and the same podcast shows up in middle of the new podcast list, it will start playing all over again even though it was marked as played. It would be nice to have a "skip played podcasts" option.

6) If I'm in my 'all feeds' category, I usually listen one feed at a time. If I go into a category, which I effectively use as a playlist, there isn't an easy way (that I know of) to jump right into a list of podcasts for all feeds in the category to start listening to them. You have to go into a specific podcast's feed, then hit Menu->Podcasts, then Menu->Show All in 'categoryname', then Menu->Group By Feed. The process is similar (but not identical) if I click on the right-triangle to go directly to the player for a feed on the feed list, but then I still need to jump through some hoops to get to a list of all podcasts in a category grouped by feed.

7) When downloading some items, like when issuing a "resume" for a podcast, it isn't possible to queue them up. That is, you must wait for a download to finish before starting a new one. It would be really nice if all downloads were queue-able.

8) Once in awhile I'll get a podcast from CNET that has a space at the end of the filename, like "blahblah123.mp3 " which seems to download okay, but then generates a file not found error when I try to play it. I need to go into a file system tool, like Total Commander, and rename the file to remove the space after the end of the filename, restart BeyondPod, and then I can play the file normally since BeyondPod will find it in the directory even though it is no longer associated with the podcast itself.

Thank you for a wonderful product, and I hope you'll consider these suggestions.

--James

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:30 AM

Hi, installed BeyondPod three days ago and I'm still amazed, congratulations for the great job.

I hope this one is easy, since the up/down finger scrolling is already implemented:

Use finger drag left/right  to navigate between Categories <-> Feeds <-> Podcasts <-> Player

Not sure about including the Content view in that cycle, though.

-Dafnis

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:28 AM
skyntchev wrote:

This is a good idea, and you can do something similar today if you configure BeyondPod use Media Player as external player.  Then all podcasts will be played in Windows Media Player and you can probably find a home screen plugin that controls it. (I know some of the new 6.1 ROMs have it) You can also potentially use any external player that has a home screen plugin.

As alluded to elsewhere, using an external media player loses the benefit of restarting plaing from a previously played position. I think for podcasts it's a must, and WMP is useless for that.

I now use HTC HD2 and I find not being ebale to skip forward and backwards is the only real nuisance. If only there was a menu item to do it things would be a bit easier. As it is now, it's almost impossible to navigate in a podcast using the HD2, so if I miss something I am stuffed. Any chance the player could be made more finger-friendly, not for the today screen but internally?

Thanks,

Eran

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM
skyntchev wrote:

Tom,

This is a BIG item on my list. I also exclusively use BeyondPod over Bluetooth and not being able to use the play pause on the remote device (Parrot MK 6000 car kit in my case) is very inconvenient. Unfortunately there is not much code available to interface with that Bluetooth profile (AVRCP as it is called). Once I find a solution I will make sure it is incorporate in BeyondPod.

Whoo hoo I figured it out.  After giving myself a crash in COM (which was difficult since I haven't programmed in 7 years, like you said, the full WMP loads plugins that the embedded doesn't.  I figured you just call the same plugin as WMP does you can get the functionality.  You just instantiate the COM plugin, get the UI plugin interface, and pass it the WMPCore from the control, which you can get with GetOcx().  I'd definitely like to help out, since I use this player so much.  I put up a patch at least for Q9h's.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I would like to be able to sort podcast files by file name.

I subscribe to a magazine via podcast. Each issue has maybe 12-15 articles... with varying titles. They all have the same date.

If I sort by name now, an article titled 'How To...' will appear before one called 'Table of Contents'. (Table of Contents generally should be first.)

Sorting by filename, since they are named magazine_04_01, magazine_04_02, etc... would really help.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Is it possible to send to a Bluetooth "Hands Free" device that does not offer the "Wireless Stereo" profile?

May 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Windows Mobile suggestions:

1.  Make an icon to launch the internal podcast player directly.

2.  Make an option to restore the session so that it starts up where you left off (playing, browsing, etc.)  (Save this state periodically so if the phone runs out of batteries/is turned off/process killed, the state is saved.)

May 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM
Edited May 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM

This affects both Windows and 'droid builds.

Please make a Global Setting for Space Savers. The lack of one has generated a few questions over the years and the answer always is "Space Saver settings can be changed in each feed by using Manage Feed | Edit Feed |etc." and this is true, but the default values of 999 and 50 (basically requiring manually deleting podcasts) are so high that it requires editing each feed.

Editing each feed becomes a real chore when there is more than a few. I have 40 of them. It takes a long time working with a stylus. I looked at editing the XML file on my PC, but the days and number settings only become present when Space Saver is turned on, so no search and replace for me.

Also out is play and delete since I need the preamp in TCPMP.

Itunes has a default adjustment feature, but when it exports out an ODPL file, that info isn't included in it.

I'm on Windows now, but my next phone will likely be a droid, so I have an interest.

May 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM

When browsing the podcast directories, allow the user to see the description of the feed as opposed to just the title. The user now has to add it to a category just to see what it is, and then navigate back to the feeds to see what s/he got.

Allow the user to click on the feed in the podcast directory and see the description and then allow them to add to a category.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

First thank you so much for making not only such a useful program but a nice clean efficient program !! it really is excellent software!

Second Please do not abandon us windows mobile users (IE WM6.5) some of us are on legacy accounts that are VERY nice bag for the buck and "CAN NOT" upgrade past certaint hardware because of new stupid rules by our providers. For example the newest hardware I can use is my Touch Pro 2. I will NEVER be able to use a WP7 or Android device (unless they get android fully working on the TP2 of course) because sprint has declared all newer phones off limits unless I upgrade my plan since that would entail LITERALLY doubling my bill and getting absolutely nothing new service wise well I am not doing it :-) hehe So please if at all possible don't abandon us !

Feature Requests:

Resume playback when call ends. it pauses when I get a call (excellent) but when the call ends I have to hit play and its rather hard to hit play. (tiny buttons) when driving the car and dangerous. having it "auto resume" playback when I end the call would be really nice.

Timed Playback. many times I listen to my podcasts when I am going to bed. problem is sometimes I fall asleep before turning it off you can see the problem this creates.

I had a player once that did this but can't remember what it was called. I could specific a time interval (I set it to 15 minutes) and every 15 minutes it would "pause" playback and I had to "tap" the screen to resume playback. (tap anywhere on the screen) and it would resume for another 15 minutes. this way if I fell asleep I was never more than a few minutes from where I left off.

also maybe it already has this (I am still finding new features) but a dedicated "playback" screen would be nice (instead of the pod cast list with playback integrated)

this way it should show album art larger and allow larger buttons and finer access over playback control etc..

I have no real complaints. overall its an amazing program and for free! which is even more impressive and appreciated!

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:27 AM
Has there been any development on a Windows 8 app and live tile? I recently got a new laptop and am absolutely sure you guys can outprogram circles around the existing Windows 8 podcatching software, which is very subpar. Cross platform sync between Windows and Android would be the icing on the cake.
~Cassandra