Start from before

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM

I would like to listen to podcasts from the oldest to the newest (start from the beginning of the list).

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:37 AM

This can be done by following these steps:

1) Tap on Menu -> Tools -> Settings.
2) Tap on "General Settings".
3) Under the "Sort Podcasts By" setting select "Date (Oldest on Top)".
4) Tab Done.
5) Tab Done again to exit settings.

Podcasts will now be sorted from the oldest to the newest on a feeds "Podcasts" screen. Also if you tap on the green arrow the oldest podcast will now play first. 

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:01 PM

This dosn't seem to have an effect either way.  The top number still seems to be the highest.  What I think would be cool is that when I subscribe to a feed it starts at season 1 episode 1 instead of downloading the latest 3 podcast.  That way I can listen to a podcast from the beginning if I wish.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM

What you need to do glasswalkertheurg, is change the setting on a feed-by-feed basis as follows:

1) Select the feed you want to change.

2) Menu -> Manage Feeds -> Edit Feed

3) Scroll down and select "More Settings"

4) Scroll down to "Sort Podcasts By", and select "Date (Oldest on Top)".  If that does not work, it might work if you select "Name (A-Z)" if the podcasts are listed by episode number.

Hope this helps.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM

As I stated to the previous post, this is not what I am trying to do.  And I do appreciate both posts.

When I sign up for a new feed, I want to start from the first podcast (loading the first 3) not the last three podcasts.  Then continue through the podcast till the final one.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Ah, I see.  Sorry, I misunderstood.

This is possible, but I think the only way to download the ealiest podcasts is to download all the podcasts.  To do this:

Menu - Manage Feeds - Edit feed.

Ensure the "Download podcasts" box is checked/ticked.

Change the number in the "Download the last" box to 99 (the maximum number).  Do not try to enter zero; I think I did this once and it crashed BoyondPod.

Select "More Settings"

In "Keep at Most", enter 999 (this will ensure that it doesn't overwrite the oldest podcasts when downloading the newest podcasts).

Select "Done".

Next time you update that feed, it will download all podcasts that are available in that feed.  You might also need to use my earlier suggestion (or h0g4n's) to ensure the podcasts play in the right order.

Note that the RSS system allows the author to list only the most recent podcasts in their feed.  If the autor has selected '10' podcasts, then you will only be able to download the most recent '10' podcasts from that feed.

I hope I understand you correctly this time, and hope my suggestion helps.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM
ColinBowen wrote:

Ah, I see.  Sorry, I misunderstood.

No problem, I was having difficulty explaining properly.

This is possible, but I think the only way to download the ealiest podcasts is to download all the podcasts.  To do this:

Menu - Manage Feeds - Edit feed.

Ensure the "Download podcasts" box is checked/ticked.

Change the number in the "Download the last" box to 99 (the maximum number).  Do not try to enter zero; I think I did this once and it crashed BoyondPod.

Select "More Settings"

In "Keep at Most", enter 999 (this will ensure that it doesn't overwrite the oldest podcasts when downloading the newest podcasts).

Select "Done".

If only my SD card was big enough ...  Thanks anyway.  I was hoping that I could do three at a time or so.

Next time you update that feed, it will download all podcasts that are available in that feed.  You might also need to use my earlier suggestion (or h0g4n's) to ensure the podcasts play in the right order.

Note that the RSS system allows the author to list only the most recent podcasts in their feed.  If the autor has selected '10' podcasts, then you will only be able to download the most recent '10' podcasts from that feed.

I hope I understand you correctly this time, and hope my suggestion helps

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I don't think you can download the three earliest podcasts first.  You have to work around that problem.

Download as many podcasts as you can to fill up your SD card.  Then move them from your SD card onto your PC (deleting from the SD card).  Then Update the feed again and BeyondPod will then download the next batch of podcasts until the card is full again.  Keep moving them off the SD card and onto your PC until BeyondPod gets to download the first podcast.  You will then have the earliest podcasts in BeyondPod.

As you listen from the begining and delete the podcasts you have heard, you can then move newer podcasts back from your PC onto the SD Card.  So long as you put them in the right folder, BeyondPod will see that new podcasts are on the card, and add them to the list of PodCasts you can listen to.

Will your device work with a bigger SD card?  They're cheaper now, and it would save messing around moving stuff off and on.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM
ColinBowen wrote:

I don't think you can download the three earliest podcasts first.  You have to work around that problem.

I tried to put this post in the feature request area ... I am guessing I am not their.

Download as many podcasts as you can to fill up your SD card.  Then move them from your SD card onto your PC (deleting from the SD card).  Then Update the feed again and BeyondPod will then download the next batch of podcasts until the card is full again.  Keep moving them off the SD card and onto your PC until BeyondPod gets to download the first podcast.  You will then have the earliest podcasts in BeyondPod.

I am waiting for the 16gb cards to come down in price.  I not follow 87 podcasts.  I just don't have that kinda room.  Thanks though.

As you listen from the begining and delete the podcasts you have heard, you can then move newer podcasts back from your PC onto the SD Card.  So long as you put them in the right folder, BeyondPod will see that new podcasts are on the card, and add them to the list of PodCasts you can listen to.

I am lazy.  I wanted it to be automatic.  I am guessing I am also weird for wanting to listed to podcasts from the beginning (at least of the feed) if I like the podcast.

Will your device work with a bigger SD card?  They're cheaper now, and it would save messing around moving stuff off and on.

My 8gb is full ALOT.  I ...really... don't know why ;-).