Deleting podcasts

Topics: User Forum
Mar 9, 2009 at 10:01 PM
So, first off, I seem to have a problem when deleting podcasts from the regular feed list (the X icon next to the Play icon right under the reference to the mp3 file).  It seems that it doesn't always delete it from my sd card, since when I choose Feed Podcasts from the menu, it lists many that I have specifically deleted.

Aside from this, I'm wondering if there is a more automated option for deletions.  Here's my situation.  I've created my own podcast feed from a tag feed in Google Reader.  I manage this feed from Google Reader, so delete items that I've already listened to.  Optimally what I would like Beyondpod to do is when it updates the feed, have an option whereby if you have removed one of the feed entries, it will remove that entry from beyondpod, AS WELL AS the attachment.  Is this at all possible and/or would it be something to consider as a feature?

Thanks,

Levi
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM
Levi,

You can play with the space savers - they let you limit the number of podcasts or podcast "age", but currently there is no way to delete podcast if the associated item is gone. Also you can set BeyondPod to delete podcast once it is done playing.

Stefan
Aug 1, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Follow-up question on the space savers.  I can't seem to figure out how to do these two things:

a) Set some podcasts to download N files, and then don't download more until the previous ones are deleted.   Once a downloaded one is removed from the device, the next podcast would be downloaded to take its place.

b) Set other podcasts to download the most recent N files, and automatically remove the older ones to make room for newer ones.

Of course I've tried to use the "Keep at most", "Delete older than", and "Allow Deletions", but they don't seem to do either of the above. 

Any suggestions on a combination of settings that would do this?   (I've subscribed to a lot of feeds, and this is needed to apply a "quota" to each feed, so that those later in the list actually get downloaded sometimes.)

Thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM

aann,

You can think of the dwonload process as a queue. For each feed, BeyondPod always downloads the new podcasts and places them at the start of the queue. You can set the size of the queue using the space savers (number of podcasts or their "age"). Before downloading any new podcasts, BeyondPod checks if there is space in the queue and if there is no space it deletes from the back of the queeue until it finds enough space. This way, if you don't manually delete any podcasts, your queue will always contain the latest X podcasts (x- being the queue size). By varying the queue size, you can set the "quota" of how many podcasts to keep. Currently there is no way "stop" downloading podcasts once the queue is "full" and resume once you manually delete a podcast. One way to do what you want, would be to disable automatic podcast download for the feed and manage the whole process manually - you fill your queue, listen and delete, fill the queue again.

Stefan

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Does "allow deletions" affect the automatic deletion from the head of the queue?

When the memory is close to full, the effect I notice is that the podcasts at the top of the list get downloaded to fill the remaining available space, but the ones at the end never get downloaded, since the card becomes full as BeyondPod processes the list.

A future feature to prevent downloads when a queue is full would solve that, I think.

Thanks!