Problem with this RSS feed.

Topics: User Forum
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:40 AM
I've been having problems with the wrong media files downloading, now today, it won't even process this xml file:

http://green960.com/podcast/hartmann.xml

I've been getting Hour 1 missing, and Hour 2 or 3 doubled up. Today, I got the error: "This feed does not point to a valid RSS feed! Try updating or check the URL in the feed properties.

As a separate problem, I have also been unable to use the internal player at all on any podcast. It appears to be playing, but no sound occurs.

Phone: AT&T (HTC) Fuze
Version 3.1.1


Coordinator
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM
That feed worked OK for me so I am not sure what is going on. One thing you can try for podcasts being dubbed is to turn "Force Unique Names" in the feed properties. This will give each file a unique name prevent from one overriding the other.
As far as the internal player, the only thing I can think of is that the volume is turned all the way down. I don't see any other reason why there would be no sound. BY default the Up/Down key in the player view are mapped to Volume Up/Down

Stefan
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Edited Mar 13, 2009 at 2:21 AM
Arrrrgh! You're right! The volume was down. Without a visual cue, I didn't think of it.

Today's version of the podcast seems OK, although ITunes and Firefox liked yesterday's well enough. I'll watch and see how the downloading goes.
Mar 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM
It happened again today on the same podcast. Obviously they're doing something some days that BeyondPod doesn't like. I get a Yellow ! triangle and when I try to open it I get, "This feed does not point to a valid RSS feed!..." It looks fine loaded in Firefox.
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:20 AM
OK. there are 0x85 characters embedded in a few of the descriptions. If I replace them with spaces, then it loads successfully. I emailed the authors about the problem, but there isn't any real reason for the app to reject them.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Usually the problem is in the Character Encoding that BeyondPod "thinks" it is using. If the code contains a symbol that does not match the encoding of the file, that confuses the Microsoft  XML handling infrastructure BeyondPod is using and causes the error. BeyondPod has some special code to work around some of those limitations, but overall, RSS feeds are very "loosely" defined and sometimes they have invalid characters in them. Because of the mobile device limitations, the XML handling code on the device is a bit more "fragile" and does not handle well those inconsistencies.

Stefan