Can't Get scheduler to work

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM
I have a verizon xv-6900 with the NFSan 1.12 Rom.

I have been using BeyondPod for quite a while now. I would always install beyond pod to my sd card and whenever I would put a new ROM on then I would not lose my settings because I would have them on my SD card.

A while ago the application stopped downloading the podcasts in the midle of the night, I had assumed it was a problem with my settings not being compatable or something like that so when I upgraded my ROM the last time I started over with BeyondPod.

I have the "update on a schedule" checked and I set it up to automatically update at 3:00AM but it never does.
Every time I open the scheduler it shows the current time but for tomorrow, meaning the 3:00AM setting isn't there.
If I leave beyondpod open after I set the time to do an update in scheduler and just turn off the phone (standby) then it will update at the appointed time. Does beyondpod need to be running?

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM
One thing you can take a look is a file called BeyondSchedulerLog.txt that is in the BeyondPod Directory of your device. It should have a list of log messages every time it starts updating. Take a look and see if it has something unusual.

The fact that the update starts if the device is running, means that the device actually wakes up. What folder is BeyondPod installed on the device? The Scheduler looks for BeyondPod in 2 places:

\Program Files\BeyondPod\BeyondPod.exe
\Storage Card\Program Files\BeyondPod\BeyondPod.exe

If BeyondPod is not in any of them it will not be able to start it

Stefan

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM
Feb 19, 2009 8:07:44 PM: Set Notification For: Start BeyondPod Update, Start: 2:30:00 AM on Feb 20 ,  (1056964632-ms#task#0)
Feb 20, 2009 2:30:09 AM: 
Feb 20, 2009 2:30:10 AM: Starting scheduled run for: ms#task#0. Battery Level: VeryHigh (NotPresent)
Feb 20, 2009 2:30:11 AM: Executing Operation: Start BeyondPod Update
Feb 20, 2009 2:30:11 AM: Set Notification For: Start BeyondPod Update, Start: 2:30:00 AM on Feb 21 ,  (1040187416-ms#task#0)
Feb 20, 2009 2:30:11 AM: Scheduled run completed!

I do see entries like below from whenever I check the schedule
Feb 25, 2009 6:40:16 PM: Deleting scheduled run for Task: Start BeyondPod Update, Start: 3:00:00 AM on Feb 26 ,  (1040187428-ms#task#1)
Feb 25, 2009 6:40:17 PM: Set Notification For: Start BeyondPod Update, Start: 3:00:00 AM on Feb 26 ,  (1056964644-ms#task#1)

BeyondPod is installed \Storage Card\Program Files\BeyondPod\BeyondPod.exe

I do have my Task manager set to Close on X. I will leave BeyondPod running in the background and it seems like it will update.

Should I create 2 tasks with beyond scheduler? One to start beyondpod and then one to run the update?

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM
Last 2 entries as or right now: (4:56 PM 2/26/09)

Feb 25, 2009 6:40:16 PM: Deleting scheduled run for Task: Start BeyondPod Update, Start: 3:00:00 AM on Feb 26 ,  (1040187428-ms#task#1)
Feb 25, 2009 6:40:17 PM: Set Notification For: Start BeyondPod Update, Start: 3:00:00 AM on Feb 26 ,  (1056964644-ms#task#1)

It was left at the main screen, in the background, of BeyondPod but it did not run overnight.
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2009 at 8:35 PM
cicijay

At this point there are 2 things you can check:

There is a registry setting that controls the time allowed by the system to stay awake in order to run a scheduled task. (This is the time allowed for the scheduled task to load from the file system and start executing). You can find more information about what it does and what it should be set to in the resources section http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Resources.htm (look for the Beyond Scheduler section in the middle of the page).  Most of the cases when the device did not wake up, so far have been traced to those registry settings.

There is another log file BeyophdPodLog.txt that logs errors when BeyondPod runs. If the scheduler actually runs but for some reason BeyondPod failed to start, there may be an error log that can help identify what went wrong. You can correlate the 2 logs by the timestamps to see what happened at the time the device was supposed to wake up.

Stefan

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Boy do I feel stupid.

I discovered that somehow in the "category to update" section it was set to "Favorites". I changed that to "All feeds" and it works now.

I'm not sure how it got changed to "Favorites" but that is what was causing the problem for me.

Thanks for the help.
Apr 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM
hello

great bit of software but i too am having issues with beyond scheduler.
i have tried running it within beyondpod and on its own.

the log says it has done what i ask it too (update feed) and i think it has but.... it updates the feed and does not download the podcast.

update and download works fine when done manually menu / update and download / all feeds

the fact that beyond scheduler asks me if i want to "update" and beyondpod gives me the option to "update and download" ......

am i missing a setting somewhere?

thanks for any help.
don
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM
Don,

If the scheduler updates the feed, it also should download the podcasts (it is a part of the same operation) I would first verify that the feed actually is updated by the scheduler.
You can delete the local cached version of the feed (in the RSSCache folder) and then try to manually run an update from the scheduler (use Run menu from within the scheduler)
If the feed gets updated, then make sure that the feed is set to download podcasts in the feed properties. The scheduler works slightly differently based on if BeyondPod is already started, or not so you can try it both ways.

Stefan