Speak Content

Topics: User Forum
Feb 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM
I bought one of the voices from Cepstral to use with Beyondpod but haven't been able to get it to work.  I edited the settings.xml by adding

<add key="TTSHandler" value="\Program Files\Cepstral\William\swiftalker.exe -f %1" />

before the </appSettings></configuration>

I installed the voice to my main memory and that is the path I see when browsing the device.

When I choose Speak Content from the menu I get an Open Failed dialog with the message "Unable to open the requested URL"

Any ideas?  Thanks,

Levi

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM
When you say "Speak Content" does BeyondPod launch the Swift Talker application?  Is the message "Unable to open the requested URL" coming form Swift Talker or BeyondPod?

The way the "speaking" is set is very simple: when you say "Speak Content", BeyondPod generates a text file from the content of the feed. The file is located in the RSSCache directory and called "BeyondPodTTSFeed.txt", After the file is generated, BeyondPod uses the command line in the settings (the "value=" of TTSHandler setting) to launch Cepstral's SwiftTalker application (it just replaces the %1 with the path to the BeyondPodTTSFeed.txt file).

Can you also verify that that "BeyondPodTTSFeed.txt" is being created in the RSSCache folder. If it is, you should be able to manually open it in the Swift Talker and listen to the feed.

On my device, that all seem to work correctly. The only difference is that my voices are installed on the SD card, but I don't see why would that make any difference.

Stefan.
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM
Ok, I've reinstalled Beyondpod and tried this out again.  I now no longer get the error message, however, what happens is that cepstral swiftalker comes up but without any text.  I checked out the BeyondPodTTSFeed.txt file and it is indeed there, but it is blank.  Any ideas?  Thanks,

Levi
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM
Levi,

Can you check and see if you have a folder named TTSTemplates  in the BeyondPod install folder. If you don't, that would explain the empty BeyondPodTTSFeed.txt.  (I think for some reason those may not be copied correctly during the install).
I put a link to the ZIP file that has the templates used for generation of the TTS files in the resources section at  http://www.beyondpod.mobi/Resources.htm.  Just extract the files from the ZIP to the BeyondPod install folder so that the .htm files end up in the "TTSTempaltes" folder.

Stefan
Feb 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM
Thanks, Stefan, that was the problem - no TTSTemplates directory.  I created one and put those files in it and now it all works!