Streaming problem

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 13, 2008 at 4:32 PM
I'm using BeyondPod on a Sprint HTC Touch Diamond.

When I click "Stream" from a podcast, I get the "Unable to find a player that supports ".PLS" file type!" error.

I then went into settings and changed Player from Internal to External (ASX playlist) and still get this error, even after restarting BeyondPod and updating the feeds. What am I missing?
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2008 at 7:06 PM
Currently the streaming support is just a thin wrapper around starting an external player. When you click on "stream", BeyondPod internally creates a playlist with the URL of the podcast and then tries to "launch" the playlist. If you have a player on your device that has registered to handle .pls extension, that player will launch and start streaming the podcast. If you don't have any application that knows how to handle the .pls extension, then you get the message: "Unable to find a player that supports ".PLS" file type!".  
Both TCPMP (free) or Core Player (a paid version of TCPMP) do a good job at streaming.

Stefan
Nov 22, 2008 at 3:19 PM
I ran into the same problem.  Skyntchev, are you saying that the ASX playlist feature doesn't work?  ASX playlists are supported by Windows Media Player, so I thought that would work without requiring me to install another application.
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2008 at 12:52 AM
bradvoy,

The problem is that for some unknown reason, if you create a ASX playlist that has a URLs to a remote file, Windows media player refuses to play it. I suspect that it only supports the Microsoft media streaming protocol (mms://)
(If somehow you find a way to create a a ASX playlist with a url, that the built in media player can play, I can easily make BeyondPod use the window media player for streaming.)

Stefan