Not detecting new content

Topics: User Forum
Aug 27, 2008 at 2:39 PM

When subscribing to this feed: http://www.pbs.org/moyers/podcast.xml

I never seem to detect new content. If I look at the XML file, it seems to add new content to the end, which is different than other feeds I've viewed. Here is an excerpt from the feed:

<item>
                                <title>Buying the War</title>
                                <pubDate>Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:00:00 EST</pubDate>
  </item>
  <item>
                                <title>Jon Stewart and Josh Marshall</title>
                                <pubDate>Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:00:00 EST</pubDate>
  </item>
  <item>
                                <title>Middle Class Squeeze</title>
                                <pubDate>Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:00:00 EST</pubDate>
  </item>

I have BeyondPod set to download 1 feed (these are big) but the only feel it’s sees it the Apr 25<SUP>th</SUP>, 2007 feed. Is there something strange about this one?

Thanks,   Gene

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:55 PM
genem,

It looks like you stumbled upon a one of those (relatively rare) "reverse sorted" feeds. There is a setting that you can turn to force BeyondPod to sort the feed before displaying (or analyzing it). Unfortunately the setting is not available in the UI (as it is used very infrequently) so you have to set it in the feed storage by manually editing the TrackState.xml file. Here is what you have to do:

1. Make sure BeyondPod is closed before you start.
2. Copy TrackState.xml from your device (located the BeyondPod install folder) to your desktop.
3. Open it in Notepad, find the feed name, and after the feed name, find the first "forceItemSort=" and change the value "0" to "1". (You should probably open TrackState.xml in Internet Explorer before and after you edit to make sure the file is valid.)
4. Save and copy back to your device over the old TrackState.xml file.

Once you start BeyondPod you should see the feed sorted so that the most recent post is now first. This will also ensure that BeyondPod detects the changes and downloads the podcasts.

Stefan
Aug 27, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Sweet!  Thank you very much.

Gene