PLS support

Topics: User Forum
May 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM
I always get a notification about there not being a media player with PLS support when I try to stream podcasts from many of my feeds. Help.
May 23, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Indifference wrote:
I always get a notification about there not being a media player with PLS support when I try to stream podcasts from many of my feeds. Help.

You need to install an external player that supports PLS playlists. Fo rexample you can get TCPMP (free) or its commercial version called CorePlayer. (Almost any external player out there supports PLS playlists). Unfortunately Windows Media Player 10 for some reason has trouble playing streams over http, so an external player is needed at this time.
May 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM
Thanx for responding. I have TCPMP installed. I guess I need to mess around with it a bit. One more question: is there an automated way to delete podcasts that are days old. My 2GB micro SD card was almost full because BeyondPod downloaded so many video and audio podcasts and it seems as though I have to delete them manually.
May 23, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Indifference wrote:
Thanx for responding. I have TCPMP installed. I guess I need to mess around with it a bit. One more question: is there an automated way to delete podcasts that are days old. My 2GB micro SD card was almost full because BeyondPod downloaded so many video and audio podcasts and it seems as though I have to delete them manually.

If you have TCPMP all you have to do is associate it with the PLS extension in the TCPMP settings. (I think the settinhgs page is called "File Associations" in TCPMP).

As far as the podcast deletions, BeyondPod has a feature called "space severs" that that you can configure how many podcasts to keep for each feed. It is on the feed properties page (Menu->Manage Feeds->Edit Feed) scroll down and click on the More Settings... link. You can limit the deletion by days old or by number of files. By default they are set to 999 days old or maximum of 50 files. (I have set most of mine by number of files.) With the space savers BeyondPod will automatically keep the number of podcasts to the specified size, by deleting the oldest podcasts before downloading a new one. Keep in mind that the setings are per-feed, so you can set different number of podcasts to keep for each feed.

You can also configure BeyondPod to delete the podcast after it is finished playing. This can be set in Menu->Tools->Settings->Player Settings->When Finished Playing. Set it to "Delete and Play Next".

Stefan
May 23, 2008 at 11:37 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 11:41 PM
I found and applied the appropriate Podcast settings. Thanx. My next task is to get the drivers I need for TCPMP. M4V, MP4 and even WMV have issues streaming.(I get messages about lack of support or drivers) MP3 works perfectly though. Do you have the commercial release or the free TCPMP?
May 26, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Indifference wrote:
I found and applied the appropriate Podcast settings. Thanx. My next task is to get the drivers I need for TCPMP. M4V, MP4 and even WMV have issues streaming.(I get messages about lack of support or drivers) MP3 works perfectly though. Do you have the commercial release or the free TCPMP?

I have used both the commercial and the CorePlayer. I currently use CorePlayer as it comes with all the codecs in one package. For TCPMP you have to gather and install the various codecs by hand. Both work quite good.