Volume Low

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:13 AM
I checked all the posts here and on the internet and didn't find any info. on this issue. I'm running the latest BeyondPod (2.6.1) on a verizon Treo 700wx on a 2 gig SD card. I've noticed during playback that the volume is rather low, even with the device volume turned all the way up. I've tried listening to the same downloaded files thru the mobile version of windows media player on the same device and the volume is much higher. I imagine the audio control in WMP is just better, but is there a specific reason why this is happening, or does anyone know of any plans to address? An additional volume control in the embedded beyondpod player, for example, would help.

It's not a huge deal, but I miss having the ability to pick up where I left off in beyondpod. WMP loses your place when you exit, etc. Appreciate any comments from anyone whose had a similar issue or can explain in general why the volume is so much better in media player. Thanks!
Apr 18, 2008 at 1:02 PM

DudleyDays wrote:
I checked all the posts here and on the internet and didn't find any info. on this issue. I'm running the latest BeyondPod (2.6.1) on a verizon Treo 700wx on a 2 gig SD card. I've noticed during playback that the volume is rather low, even with the device volume turned all the way up. I've tried listening to the same downloaded files thru the mobile version of windows media player on the same device and the volume is much higher. I imagine the audio control in WMP is just better, but is there a specific reason why this is happening, or does anyone know of any plans to address? An additional volume control in the embedded beyondpod player, for example, would help.

It's not a huge deal, but I miss having the ability to pick up where I left off in beyondpod. WMP loses your place when you exit, etc. Appreciate any comments from anyone whose had a similar issue or can explain in general why the volume is so much better in media player. Thanks!

You did not mention it in your post, but did you use BeyondPod's volume controls to adjust the volume? When you are playing a podcast in BeyondPod, you can use the up/down keys to change the volume. You can also map any keys to various actions (including volume control) by selecting Menu->Buttons from the podcast player screen. BeyondPod uses Windows Media player as an internal player, so the volume should be the same in both. Also the default media player skin that BeyondPod uses is very "spartan", if you pick a different skin from the settings menu, it will also show you the buttons for volume on the screen and you can see and adjust the volume using your touchscreen.

Stefan
Apr 18, 2008 at 2:34 PM
I will give that a try. Thank you!
Apr 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Edited Apr 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM
I have a similar issue, on a Treo 750, but I'm tyring to listen to the pod cast in my car, using the internal player the volume is limited to 100%, like WMP, but with most other media players I have used there is an option to Pre Amp, I use this to get reasonable volume which might be say 200%. I'm using TCPMP as an external player, which opens and closes automatically, and remembers where to resume if you need to exit, but I need to remember to start TCPMP if I was halfway and then I need to restart Beyond pod , once the resumed file is finished, and the only stopping from using the Internal player is the preamp.

Is there a possibility to build in a pre amp. - This is also helpful in that pod casts can be played with a different volume to other applications such as appointment reminders that don't need to be as loud.

Also one last feature request. Could there be an option to always open in the all feeds feed list and just start playing. Then it becomes a bit like radio, you turn it on it starts playing/downloading and all you need to do is delete files from time to time, Which I want to keep so that if I hear a particularly god podcast I can keep it and not have it automaticially deleted.
Thanks Anthony

I had a very quick look in the source, could the preamp be a simple as changing MediaPlayerView.cs

/// <summary>
/// Sets teh volume level /// NOTE very minor typo here
/// </summary>
public int VolumeLevel
{
get { return MediaPlayer.VolumeLevel; }
set { MediaPlayer.VolumeLevel = value +50%; } ///or what ever the preamp value is
}

Or is it editing WindowsMediaPlayerControl.cs

/// <summary>
/// Changes the volume by an increment.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="idirection">The idirection.</param>
public void ChangeVolume(Helpers.MoveDirection i_direction)
{
if (i_direction == Helpers.MoveDirection.Forward)
{
if (VolumeLevel + 10 < 100) Change 100 to say 300
VolumeLevel += 10;
else
VolumeLevel = 100; Change 100 to say 300
}
else
{
if (VolumeLevel - 10 > 0)
VolumeLevel -= 10;
else
VolumeLevel = 0;
}
}

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:14 AM

anthonyyager wrote:
I have a similar issue, on a Treo 750, but I'm tyring to listen to the pod cast in my car, using the internal player the volume is limited to 100%, like WMP, but with most other media players I have used there is an option to Pre Amp, I use this to get reasonable volume which might be say 200%. I'm using TCPMP as an external player, which opens and closes automatically, and remembers where to resume if you need to exit, but I need to remember to start TCPMP if I was halfway and then I need to restart Beyond pod , once the resumed file is finished, and the only stopping from using the Internal player is the preamp.

Is there a possibility to build in a pre amp. - This is also helpful in that pod casts can be played with a different volume to other applications such as appointment reminders that don't need to be as loud.

Also one last feature request. Could there be an option to always open in the all feeds feed list and just start playing. Then it becomes a bit like radio, you turn it on it starts playing/downloading and all you need to do is delete files from time to time, Which I want to keep so that if I hear a particularly god podcast I can keep it and not have it automaticially deleted.
Thanks Anthony

I had a very quick look in the source, could the preamp be a simple as changing MediaPlayerView.cs

/// <summary>
/// Sets teh volume level /// NOTE very minor typo here
/// </summary>
public int VolumeLevel
{
get { return MediaPlayer.VolumeLevel; }
set { MediaPlayer.VolumeLevel = value +50%; } ///or what ever the preamp value is
}

Or is it editing WindowsMediaPlayerControl.cs

/// <summary>
/// Changes the volume by an increment.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="idirection">The idirection.</param>
public void ChangeVolume(Helpers.MoveDirection i_direction)
{
if (i_direction == Helpers.MoveDirection.Forward)
{
if (VolumeLevel + 10 < 100) Change 100 to say 300
VolumeLevel += 10;
else
VolumeLevel = 100; Change 100 to say 300
}
else
{
if (VolumeLevel - 10 > 0)
VolumeLevel -= 10;
else
VolumeLevel = 0;
}
}

Thanks Anthony,

BeyondPod uses the built in Windows Media Player as an internal podcast player and unfortunately I don't think it supports a pre-amp as TCPMP. I have not tried to set the volume above 100 (the value you see is actually the percent of max volume so volume 10 is 10% of the max). I will give it a try but I don't have high hopes that it will make any difference. I have been looking for quite some time for a different player that I can use, as an alternative to WMP but was unable to find a player that can be easily controlled from another application. Have you been able at all to get the external WMP to play loud enough on your Treo?

Stefan.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:10 AM
The external WMP is also quiet, so it is an issue with WMP, not BeyondPod. It is satisfactory in quite "office" environments, however is there is much background noise "Walking down the street" the volume is just a little too low to hear a podcast.

I realise that you have limited control over WMP, thanks for trying.
Anthony