Suggestions for player

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM
I like the internal player for playing audio, but it's not very good for playing video. The primary problem for video is that it doesn't show full screen.

So I would either like ability to play video using the internal player in full screen (usually rotated to landscape) just like the normal WiMP does OR give separate settings for whether to use the internal or an external player based on the file types.

I would also like to see an internal "player" for images. It would be very simple. You can toggle between fit to screen and 100% using the center button. The direction buttons would let you scroll around if at 100%. Note that it should support scroll wheel such that if at the bottom of the image down will go right, and if at the top of the image up should go left. This is primarily for cartoons like the Dilbert feed which are not taller than the screen, but are wider.

Another problem with the internal player is that it doesn't support AVRCP.
Feb 10, 2008 at 3:41 AM

dalewking wrote:
I like the internal player for playing audio, but it's not very good for playing video. The primary problem for video is that it doesn't show full screen.

So I would either like ability to play video using the internal player in full screen (usually rotated to landscape) just like the normal WiMP does OR give separate settings for whether to use the internal or an external player based on the file types.

I would also like to see an internal "player" for images. It would be very simple. You can toggle between fit to screen and 100% using the center button. The direction buttons would let you scroll around if at 100%. Note that it should support scroll wheel such that if at the bottom of the image down will go right, and if at the top of the image up should go left. This is primarily for cartoons like the Dilbert feed which are not taller than the screen, but are wider.

Another problem with the internal player is that it doesn't support AVRCP.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. The internal player (which is actually an embedded WMP) at one point had the option to use full screen, but that option was removed because there were occasional issues when switching to and from it. It is possible that Microsoft may have fixed those issues, so I will see if I can get that feature back in. If that still does not work, may be a good alternative would be to allow to override the global internal/external player setting for each feed.

The image viewer is an interesting idea. Can you give me an example of a couple of feeds that you can use it with. I would like to play a bit with some of those feeds to see what would be the best way to display them.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:07 PM
Hi,

Ok, here we go..... - This one is a little long so just bare with me and go for the ride to understand where im coming
remember, I am writing TEXT and its harder to explain or express what I am talking about,
I rather use a phone to talk to the creators., But I know that will never happen.
So this is what is left to do.

*So lets start - *
I was first using a RSS application called IBE RSS Reader. and when I installed it, I liked it alot because the way it was layed out.
and it was easy to operate, and It had 4 ways to add RSS's.

Ok, with that said,
On the website it said it was FREE, but it WAS NOT....
I lost all my RSS feeds that took 2 days to complete the input of all the feeds I like most and read alot.
And if I turned off the phone, I would lose what I already had within the RSS reader, and I would have to Re-Sync all the time.
I REALLY HATE THAT.....

Ok, with that said,
I went on a hunt to find another RSS Reader because I can not pay 15 dollars on a tiny application.
if it was 1.99 then yes I most likely have purchase it.

ok, So I found this one here BEYOND POD...... I am currently using the NEW BETA version v2.6.2
because I love to Beta test and give feedback to the creators so they can make the software better. :)
Also, because its open source, and I believe in open source application.
I also use Ubantu, so I know a few things about open source environment.

NOW THIS ONE IS REALLY GOOD....... :)
because not only will it do RSS, but it will also do PODCASTs which is so great, that its all in one package.

BUT I HAVE A SMALL LITTLE GRIPE. !!!

When you go to the First Page where you see the Icons on the left with small pictures. you see the different PODcast list
as well as the Different RSS's that you place in by creating it.

Ok, this is where the application pisses me off.
When I make (create) a new RSS, --> http://www.indycar.com/community/feeds/news.php
because I am a racing fanatic and love open wheel racing.

You see the GREY ICON on the left side on the front page. - but the its confusing because its suppose to be ORANGE
So I dont know if its turned on or turned off.
when I press the Indycar FEED in the list, I get a blank page.
thats says the following:
A cached version of this feed is not available!
Select Update Feed to update it.

• this is where the list of different RSS one liners discription of the story should go.!!

There is suppose to be a LIST of story news with little tiny RSS Orange icons on the left. - about 20 to 30 in the list (in one liners)
Why there is nothing there ?

maybe you can take the idea of the IBE RSS Reader and implement it to BeyondPod Application.

Its a bit confusing because of this, because by what I am thinking and used to is:
I believe it would work out better this way:

1 - Front Page,
2 - click a RSS or PODcast
3 - You See a list of the RSS's or PODcast's list of that particular website cast.
4 - Choose what story to read (In Brief Description Mode) from the list - If you want to read more (click the "read more" link) which is now step 5
5 - Now your Reading the FULL STORY.

When you have read either the Brief Description or Full Story,
It would be Beautiful if the RSS Icon on the front page as well as on the list - tuned GREY.
this way you now that you read those RSS feeds but still want to keep the story.

*Also, there should be a Backup feature to Backup ALL RSS links to XML file., So if something happens you can recover ALL
your RSS feeds back into the program when re-installing the application.*
This way you don't have to retype everything all over again.

Also, if you have a PODcast RSS, but for some reason the author forgot to embed a picture for their PODCAST icon.
The RSS ICON on the front page should be PURPLE. - So you know its a video PODCAST.

Also, if you have mp3Cast - Then the RSS Icon should be BLUE.

By the way when you PRESS back button - you get a Blank Page with the word Loading on the Top Bar.
It never loads, it just hangs. with a white screen.

the only way to get out of it is to press FEED. - which is very weird.

I have more, but I would like to use the application more before I do that........

thank you for reading and understanding and patients.
Best Regards
Feb 13, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Wavelabs,

Thank you for taking your time to provide this feedback. My comments are below.

BUT I HAVE A SMALL LITTLE GRIPE. !!!

When you go to the First Page where you see the Icons on the left with small pictures. you see the different PODcast list
as well as the Different RSS's that you place in by creating it.

Ok, this is where the application pisses me off.
When I make (create) a new RSS, --> http://www.indycar.com/community/feeds/news.php
because I am a racing fanatic and love open wheel racing.

You see the GREY ICON on the left side on the front page. - but the its confusing because its suppose to be ORANGE
So I dont know if its turned on or turned off.

Yes, this is the second time somebody mentions that the gray icon looks like it is disabled. I think for the next version I will revert those back to orange (they used to be orange in at one point). The idea of the gray was that they were just a placeholders for feeds that don't have feed images, so I wanted for them to be less "in your eye", but gray seems to be a wrong choice of color.

when I press the Indycar FEED in the list, I get a blank page.
that says the following:
A cached version of this feed is not available!
Select Update Feed to update it.

• this is where the list of different RSS one liners description of the story should go.!!

There is suppose to be a LIST of story news with little tiny RSS Orange icons on the left. - about 20 to 30 in the list (in one liners)
Why there is nothing there ?

That "cached version is not available" screen has been another point that I have struggled for a while. The problem is that one of the main rules in BeyondPod is that BeyondPod does not make any internet connections unless explicitly triggered by the user. The reason for that rule is that for a large number of devices you can't receive calls while you have an active data connection. BeyondPod caches all the feeds locally and that screen indicates that you don't have the feed in your local cache. This screen appears only the first time you create a feed. Once you get your feed in the cache, you don't see that screen anymore - you see directly the content of the feed.
I agree very much that people expect to add a new feed and directly see it contents, without having to do an update first. So far there were no complains about that particular screen, but now that you mention it I will try see if I can add some code to automatically trigger an update when you add an new feed.

maybe you can take the idea of the IBE RSS Reader and implement it to BeyondPod Application.

Its a bit confusing because of this, because by what I am thinking and used to is:
I believe it would work out better this way:

1 - Front Page,
2 - click a RSS or PODcast
3 - You See a list of the RSS's or PODcast's list of that particular website cast.
4 - Choose what story to read (In Brief Description Mode) from the list - If you want to read more (click the "read more" link) which is now step 5
5 - Now your Reading the FULL STORY.

When you have read either the Brief Description or Full Story,
It would be Beautiful if the RSS Icon on the front page as well as on the list - tuned GREY.
this way you now that you read those RSS feeds but still want to keep the story.

I see what you are saying. BeyondPod uses a combined view where you see both "one liners" and the full stories so you can go thru the feed just by scrolling down. This has advantages and disadvantages but most people find it a bit more convenient.
Because you have to deal with podcasts the navigation (unfortunately) is not that simple. When you look at a feed, sometimes you want to see the podcasts for that feed, sometimes you want to see the content and sometimes you want to just play the podcasts.
The current navigation is a result of 5 or 6 different attempts to get this right and is the one that we found works the best.
I am not saying that it is ideal, but it offers a good compromise - it lets you operate with only 4 screens (feeds, podcasts, content and Player)

Tracking what feeds were "read" is on our to do list for some of the next versions.

*Also, there should be a Backup feature to Backup ALL RSS links to XML file., So if something happens you can recover ALL
your RSS feeds back into the program when re-installing the application.*
This way you don't have to retype everything all over again.

Actually the podcasts are stored in XML so all you have to do is to save TrackState.xml and you will have a copy. BeyondPod actually does that for you - there are always 2 copies of that file in case one gets corrupted. Alternatively you can export your feeds to opml (Menu->Manage Feeds->Export Feeds).

Also, if you have a PODcast RSS, but for some reason the author forgot to embed a picture for their PODCAST icon.
The RSS ICON on the front page should be PURPLE. - So you know its a video PODCAST.

Also, if you have mp3Cast - Then the RSS Icon should be BLUE.

Something similar is on our to do list already

By the way when you PRESS back button - you get a Blank Page with the word Loading on the Top Bar.
It never loads, it just hangs. with a white screen.
the only way to get out of it is to press FEED. - which is very weird.

Can you explain that better. I am not sure I understand what screen are you on when you click back. Also can you tell what device are you using?

I have more, but I would like to use the application more before I do that........

I would appreciate if you share your feedback again once you had time to play with BeyondPod more. If you prefer phone - just email "support AT beyondpod.mobi" a way to contact you (phone or skype) and a good time to call.
{quote}

Thank you again for the detailed feedback.
Feb 13, 2008 at 5:25 PM
ok lets say I passed that page where I got that error message.
and now I am in the page where I see the RSS info and brief description that you described.

Ok, when you go backwards, pressing the back key - you get that white blank page with the LOADING......
but it never does, and then the only way out is by pressing FEED key and sometimes either Hard Booting the device or
by sometimes pressing the HOME key and it takes you out.

By the way my Device I am using is:
Motorola Q9h Global - using AT&T network..

#2, I like it when You go to Main Page, to see the different PODcasts and RSS subscriptions you have,
then you go to one you like and then go to see the different brief stories about each one then
if you want to read more, you click Read more and you get to read the entire story.
90% of the RSS reader do that.

Also, is it possible to have the software automatically save the TrackState.xml
because most people don't want to mess with files its, they just want to make it easy and just press, Backup Now
and it backs up to what ever directory they wish, example: microSD storage device and their folder of their choosing.

Also, you should make a feature that lets the users choose weighter they want to AUTO download the PODcast or Not.
because some people just want to read the headlines, and some people just want to download everything, and some people do other things,.

Let the User decide everything they want to do with the software..,
don't set it for one demographic user.

ALSO:
The sync'ed PODcast data and RSS Data should be automatically saved on a folder in what ever the directory the user chooses.
this way, if one day the user does not have internet,
they can read the cached FEEDs from their saved SYNC's they have done.
This way every time also, when you start Beyond POD, it does not have to re-search everything all over again.

There was another RSS reader I used to use, and every time I close it at night I had 44 FEEDS for Indycar FEED
and when I re-opened it in the morning, All the feeds where gone, and it had to re-download everything all over again
even the 44 FEEDS it did last night.
that is Extremely anoying.

and the reason why I dont use that RSS reader anymore.
it should only be deleted by the user, not by the software.
once it Sync's and downloads the FEEDS, it should stay.

Also, the Q9h, when I am reading FEEDS or using some sort of DATA, and if the phone rings
It will let the call through and pause anything I was doing. then when I finish my conversation on the phone
I can continue what I was doing.

Thats why I love the Motorola Q9h.

:)
it
Feb 13, 2008 at 5:37 PM
Ahhh, before I forget too besides what I just wrote.

There is no COUNT on the front page to each FEED as to how many Articles you have within each FEED.

And also, can you PLEASE have a choice feature that lets the user decide on which browser they would like to use
for the BeyondPOD to open.
I HATE OPERA because its horrifying in the Q9h.
Internet Explororer is much better.
Also reason is that in OPERA when you save favorites , it really dont save them, and you lose all favs'
when doing house cleaning because when saving the FAVS it saves them in cache and not in a folder within OPERA.
I know its anoying and very stupit on the part of OPERA, I hate them......

please give us a choice as to what browser we would like to use.

Also, BE AWARE,
that Firefox and SkyFire are coming out with a new browser.
it will let you surf in REALY TIME on the WEB, just like IPHONE.
so you see realy websites, and NOT crippled down sites with just text.

Firefox and Skyfire will support FULL - Flash, Java, Ajax, CSS and some other scripts.
So keep your heads up on that.

SkyFire can be found here, at www.Skyfire.com

ok, bye for now, playing with BeyondPOD, to see what else and looking out for bugs.........lol

thanks
Feb 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Wavelabs wrote:
ok lets say I passed that page where I got that error message.
and now I am in the page where I see the RSS info and brief description that you described.

Ok, when you go backwards, pressing the back key - you get that white blank page with the LOADING......
but it never does, and then the only way out is by pressing FEED key and sometimes either Hard Booting the device or
by sometimes pressing the HOME key and it takes you out.

What version of the compact framework are you using (you can see that by going to Help->About in beyond pod. It is on the second line in the about dialog). There was an issue in the earlier versions of .NET compact framework where the back key in the browser (the view that you see the feed content) was not working correctly. That was fixed in compact framework 3.5.

By the way my Device I am using is:
Motorola Q9h Global - using AT&T network..

#2, I like it when You go to Main Page, to see the different PODcasts and RSS subscriptions you have,
then you go to one you like and then go to see the different brief stories about each one then
if you want to read more, you click Read more and you get to read the entire story.
90% of the RSS reader do that.

Also, is it possible to have the software automatically save the TrackState.xml
because most people don't want to mess with files its, they just want to make it easy and just press, Backup Now
and it backs up to what ever directory they wish, example: microSD storage device and their folder of their choosing.

This is something that can be done. I will add it to the todo list.

Also, you should make a feature that lets the users choose weighter they want to AUTO download the PODcast or Not.
because some people just want to read the headlines, and some people just want to download everything, and some people do other things,.

Let the User decide everything they want to do with the software..,
don't set it for one demographic user.

Actually whether to download the podcasts or not (and how many podcasts to download) is configurable for each feed. By default it
will download the last 3 podcasts but you can change it in the feed properties (Menu>Manage Feeds>Edit Feed)

ALSO:
The sync'ed PODcast data and RSS Data should be automatically saved on a folder in what ever the directory the user chooses.
this way, if one day the user does not have internet,
they can read the cached FEEDs from their saved SYNC's they have done.
This way every time also, when you start Beyond POD, it does not have to re-search everything all over again.

There was another RSS reader I used to use, and every time I close it at night I had 44 FEEDS for Indycar FEED
and when I re-opened it in the morning, All the feeds where gone, and it had to re-download everything all over again
even the 44 FEEDS it did last night.
that is Extremely anoying.

and the reason why I dont use that RSS reader anymore.
it should only be deleted by the user, not by the software.
once it Sync's and downloads the FEEDS, it should stay.

This is exactly how BeyondPod works - all podcasts are downloaded once and read from a local cache. You don't need Internet connection to
read them. You decide only how often you update (sync them) them by manually updating a particular category.

Also, the Q9h, when I am reading FEEDS or using some sort of DATA, and if the phone rings
It will let the call through and pause anything I was doing. then when I finish my conversation on the phone
I can continue what I was doing.

Thats why I love the Motorola Q9h.

:)
it

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Wavelabs wrote:
Ahhh, before I forget too besides what I just wrote.

There is no COUNT on the front page to each FEED as to how many Articles you have within each FEED.

This is a very good suggestion. I already added that to the latest development build!

And also, can you PLEASE have a choice feature that lets the user decide on which browser they would like to use
for the BeyondPOD to open.
I HATE OPERA because its horrifying in the Q9h.
Internet Explororer is much better.
Also reason is that in OPERA when you save favorites , it really dont save them, and you lose all favs'
when doing house cleaning because when saving the FAVS it saves them in cache and not in a folder within OPERA.
I know its anoying and very stupit on the part of OPERA, I hate them......

please give us a choice as to what browser we would like to use.

You can do that now. You can find Instructions on how to set that up on the Resources page

Also, BE AWARE,
that Firefox and SkyFire are coming out with a new browser.
it will let you surf in REALY TIME on the WEB, just like IPHONE.
so you see realy websites, and NOT crippled down sites with just text.

Firefox and Skyfire will support FULL - Flash, Java, Ajax, CSS and some other scripts.
So keep your heads up on that.

SkyFire can be found here, at www.Skyfire.com

ok, bye for now, playing with BeyondPOD, to see what else and looking out for bugs.........lol
thanks

Thank you again for the comments! I really appreciate them.
Feb 22, 2008 at 4:26 AM

skyntchev wrote:

Thank you very much for the suggestions. The internal player (which is actually an embedded WMP) at one point had the option to use full screen, but that option was removed because there were occasional issues when switching to and from it. It is possible that Microsoft may have fixed those issues, so I will see if I can get that feature back in. If that still does not work, may be a good alternative would be to allow to override the global internal/external player setting for each feed.

I was thinking more of a setting per file type. Some video podcast feeds occassionally stick in a MP3 only episode.

This feature is needed right now. In an effort to get around the internal/external thing I was trying to switch the two video podcasts that I was getting in WMV format to a different format that would go to an external player. I have some feeds in mp4 format that happily invoke TCPMP since WMP doesn't know what to do with them. I tried xvid format, which TCPMP is set up to be the player for, but when I try to open them in BeyondPod it tries to open them in the internal player which fails because WMP can't play them.

The image viewer is an interesting idea. Can you give me an example of a couple of feeds that you can use it with. I would like to play a bit with some of those feeds to see what would be the best way to display them.

The prime example would be the Dilbert feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/tapestrydilbert.

I've given up on finding a good RSS reader for Pocket PC and just use Google Reader.
Feb 22, 2008 at 6:31 PM

dalewking wrote:

skyntchev wrote:

I was thinking more of a setting per file type. Some video podcast feeds occassionally stick in a MP3 only episode.

This feature is needed right now. In an effort to get around the internal/external thing I was trying to switch the two video podcasts that I was getting in WMV format to a different format that would go to an external player. I have some feeds in mp4 format that happily invoke TCPMP since WMP doesn't know what to do with them. I tried xvid format, which TCPMP is set up to be the player for, but when I try to open them in BeyondPod it tries to open them in the internal player which fails because WMP can't play them.

The prime example would be the Dilbert feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/tapestrydilbert.

I've given up on finding a good RSS reader for Pocket PC and just use Google Reader.

The latest development build (2.6.2.9) now allows you to configure a feed player per feed, so you can set only your video feeds to use the external player. Also by selecting the type of the player (External, ASX or PLS playlist) you have some control over what physical player will be launched. Generally Windows Media would handle the ASX playlist and TCPMP will handle the PLS playlist
Mar 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM
Often I like to listen to podcasts at a slighter faster speed (120-125%) to get through more of them. Right now I can do this by using an external player (TCPMP) with the playlist option but I kind of lose track of where I was within a particular feed/podcast when I switch between several feeds all using the external player. Is there any chance of adding a playback speed option to a feed or to the internal player?
Mar 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM

bodilyc wrote:
Often I like to listen to podcasts at a slighter faster speed (120-125%) to get through more of them. Right now I can do this by using an external player (TCPMP) with the playlist option but I kind of lose track of where I was within a particular feed/podcast when I switch between several feeds all using the external player. Is there any chance of adding a playback speed option to a feed or to the internal player?

Unfortunately BbeyondPod uses Windows Media Player for the internal podcast player and as far as I know Windows Media player can't play at speeds other than 100%. I also have been trying for a while to find a way to get positional information from TCPMP so I can track the played time there but have not been able to, so at this point there is no good way to do that.