Some Ideas

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:23 PM
BeyondPod is an excellent app! Here are some ideas/bugs/features etc :

Feature Request: Settings should include an option for new feeds to set the default podcast download action. When creating a new feed, the default is to download the podcasts. I prefer to have a setting that I set the default behaviour. I rather download them manually. The problem mostly occurs when I want to import multiple feeds from an opml file and all are set to download automatically.

Bugfix: BeyondPod crashes when the default web browser isn't Pocket Internet Explorer (probably cause it's trying to access it with the internal browser or something). I set Opera as the default and it crashed until I changed it.

Feature Request: In order to edit a feed, I have to navigate using the D-pad and then use the menu. If I just click on a feed it will enter it. Either you add an icon like the podcast icons to view the content, or add a tap-and-hold menu.

Feature Request: Since I can simply click on a feed to enter the content, it would be much better to use "Categories" as the left soft button instead of "View Content".

Feature Request: When selecting a category, the popup should be as big as the feeds screen (probably replacing them?). This will make the selection of the categories more...."finger friendly"

Bugfix: When creating a new feed, I CANNOT PASTE THE URL in the URL textfield...!!!!! Obviously I cannot remember the whole URL! ;)
Jan 24, 2008 at 11:03 PM
Pek,

Thank you for your suggestions. My comments are below each one

pek wrote:
BeyondPod is an excellent app! Here are some ideas/bugs/features etc :

Feature Request: Settings should include an option for new feeds to set the default podcast download action. When creating a new feed, the default is to download the podcasts. I prefer to have a setting that I set the default behavior. I rather download them manually. The problem mostly occurs when I want to import multiple feeds from an opml file and all are set to download automatically.

This is a good idea. Our next task is to reorganize the "Settings screens. As part of that we will add this setting.

Bugfix: BeyondPod crashes when the default web browser isn't Pocket Internet Explorer (probably cause it's trying to access it with the internal browser or something). I set Opera as the default and it crashed until I changed it.

Yes. I have seen that. Not sure why is this happening. It is something in the Microsoft Code that handles IE. I am still working on finding what is wrong there. In a mean time it is probably good idea if we at least add a warning about it.

Feature Request: In order to edit a feed, I have to navigate using the D-pad and then use the menu. If I just click on a feed it will enter it. Either you add an icon like the podcast icons to view the content, or add a tap-and-hold menu.

To select a feed without entering it, you can just press your finger and hold on the feed for a second. This will select the feed without entering.

Feature Request: Since I can simply click on a feed to enter the content, it would be much better to use "Categories" as the left soft button instead of "View Content".

This is a bit tricky, and I have changed it forth and back several times already. When you have a feed selected, there are 2 possible options: you can see the feed content, or you can see the feed podcasts. The "View Content" is the same as clicking on the feed (or pressing enter) when you are looking at feed that does not have podcasts, but changes to "View Podcasts" if you are looking at a feed that does. Unfortunately this is the only way to see the feed podcasts at this point.
Actually a quick way to bring categories is to press and hold the center navigation button (on the D-pad) for a second.

Feature Request: When selecting a category, the popup should be as big as the feeds screen (probably replacing them?). This will make the selection of the categories more...."finger friendly"

Yes this is something that will definitely make it in the next development build.

Bugfix: When creating a new feed, I CANNOT PASTE THE URL in the URL textfield...!!!!! Obviously I cannot remember the whole URL! ;)

Yes, this is a known problem that we have "ignored" for a while. Seems like we have to finally do something about it.

Thank you again for your suggestions. At least 2 or 3 of them should make it in the next development build, others will probably be in the next official release.