Update problem

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM
I noticed that ever since version 2.4.2, there is a problem with regards to updating feeds. I try to launch an update while my Windows Mobile Smartphone is connected to the computer via Activesync to avoid using the data connection on the cellular network. BeyondPod still start a GSM connection in order to do the update no matter what and I end with data usage which I have to pay for. I tried connecting the smartphone in Wi-Fi and tried again. The same thing happens, BeyondPod makes a GSM connection to update. I tried to completely turn off GSM and disconnect the phone from the cellular network to then update via either Activesync or Wi-Fi, in both cases it failed.

I believe the update function has serious issues making BeyondPod less reliable in its current state. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? BeyondPod is a really good application, I'd hate to have to throw it away because it can't update properly.
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2007 at 2:56 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Sylanel wrote:
I noticed that ever since version 2.4.2, there is a problem with regards to updating feeds. I try to launch an update while my Windows Mobile Smartphone is connected to the computer via Activesync to avoid using the data connection on the cellular network. BeyondPod still start a GSM connection in order to do the update no matter what and I end with data usage which I have to pay for. I tried connecting the smartphone in Wi-Fi and tried again. The same thing happens, BeyondPod makes a GSM connection to update. I tried to completely turn off GSM and disconnect the phone from the cellular network to then update via either Activesync or Wi-Fi, in both cases it failed.

I believe the update function has serious issues making BeyondPod less reliable in its current state. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? BeyondPod is a really good application, I'd hate to have to throw it away because it can't update properly.

Sorry to hear you have those update issues. I think it may be has to do with the way your particular device (or may be ActiveSync) is configured. On all devices that I have tested so far (both pocket PC and smartphones) it would use whatever connection it has available - WiFi, ActiveSync or as a last resort - GSM. What type of device is it - Smartphone or Pocket PC?
Actually, there is nothing that has changed in BeyondPod in respect to what connection it uses since its very first release, so if it has worked for you before, it (theoretically) should be able to work now too.
Sep 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM
I searched thouroughly and I found out it is a firewall issue between the computers and Windows Mobile 5. Somehow, Beyondpod and PocketIE are appearently not using the same ports or connecting differently using the Desktop Pass-Through, which is not supported on Mac OS X with The Missing Sync and also having troubles with ZoneAlarm on Windows XP.
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Sylanel wrote:
I searched thouroughly and I found out it is a firewall issue between the computers and Windows Mobile 5. Somehow, Beyondpod and PocketIE are appearently not using the same ports or connecting differently using the Desktop Pass-Through, which is not supported on Mac OS X with The Missing Sync and also having troubles with ZoneAlarm on Windows XP.

I did some research on my machine (Vista) and it looks like for each connection a new local port is used, but that is true even for Pocket Internet Explorer - when you hit a web page for each separate connection (image, style sheet file etc,) it creates a connection on the desktop . Not sure why Pocket IE would work but BeyondPod will not. Actually I don't think there is a way to control that pragmatically. I will keep looking into this. What is the configuration that you are using (what device, OS, ActiveSync version).
Sep 22, 2007 at 7:26 PM
I'm running Windows Mobile 5 (Smartphone Edition) on an HTC S621, with Activesync 4.5. I had to go uninstall Activesync 4.5 on my Windows XP machine, reboot and reinstall activesync in order to get the connectivity working back again. That's very odd and it seems there are a lot of people complaining to Microsoft about this. They might be way more at fault than you are (which is good news in a sense).

One other problem I started having is trying to update a specific feed: http://www.appleinsider.com/appleinsider.rss
This feed works without any problems on any other newsreader. Do you have any ideas?
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Sylanel wrote:
I'm running Windows Mobile 5 (Smartphone Edition) on an HTC S621, with Activesync 4.5. I had to go uninstall Activesync 4.5 on my Windows XP machine, reboot and reinstall activesync in order to get the connectivity working back again. That's very odd and it seems there are a lot of people complaining to Microsoft about this. They might be way more at fault than you are (which is good news in a sense).

One other problem I started having is trying to update a specific feed: http://www.appleinsider.com/appleinsider.rss
This feed works without any problems on any other newsreader. Do you have any ideas?

Yes, ActiveSync is definitely less than stable. Unfortunately the same is true for the Vista version (Mobile Device Center as they call it there) too. Every time I use WiFi on my device, if I try to connect using ActiveSync it refuses to connect until l i reboot both the PC and the device itself. Go figure why.

I tried the feed you mentioned, and it works fine on my device now. When I initially tried it (over the weekend), the feed had an error in the feed XML so even Internet Explorer 7's RSS reader could not open it. Now it seems to work fine in both IE and BeyondPod. Let me know if you still have trouble.
Sep 24, 2007 at 2:23 PM
Hi there, I have tried updating AppleInsider.com throughout the whole week-end and it simply wouldn't work on BeyondPod, but it did work with Google News Reader as well as NewsFire on my iMac Core 2 Duo. I tried to update again this morning and it started working again. I guess it might have been improperly tagged on AppleInsider.com side.

With regards to the sync issues, it's kind of funny how painful Microsoft makes it on people to use their own technologies. I actually run on an Apple computer at home with Mac OS X latest revision and everything works so amazingly well with The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile.

Thanks for the support so far, BeyondPod is a great application, keep up the good work!